Home
out of all the Remington 700's and 600's or 660 or 721 have you had one go junk? I don't want hear about a friend, I want personal info, and I'll share my bad remmy was a 600 with a bad trigger, and I've had a lot remington's threw the years, new ones and old ones please share
Had an SPS 700 in .243 with a nicked crown out of the box. Didn't really matter, as I was cutting it back anyway. Had another SPS ADL in 243 I got at Walmart that had a badly aligned recoil lug. I picked it up for the action, so that wound up not mattering either. A .270 Sendero has a bent trigger shoe that came that way, but it shoots, so it was left alone. I've seen a couple of factory Walker-style triggers that would not adjust well when compared to others of the same style. I also had a 260 Mountain Rifle SS that showed a touch of daylight under the soldering for the bolt handle, but it was still hanging in there when I sold it. That's about all I can come up with out of probably 30-40 Remington bolt guns.
Nope. And I've had a lot of them. At least 20 Remington centerfires. I just got a Remington 600 Mohawk 243 on Saturday and had it at the range an hour ago. It shot 1/2 MOA and I haven't even worked on the trigger yet. It's a bit stiff for my tastes.
Fishing huh.
1970's 700 25-06 ADL that accidentally discarged when unloading the rifle and moving the safety from safe to fire(no my fugging trigger was not on the trigger). A few years later Remington acknowledged there was a problem.

700 FS that had 2 Walker triggers replaced before they got it right. Supposedly a bad batch . That one was purchased in 1988

Custom Shop KS in 7mm Rem mag which upon first taking it to the range the bolt closed with a lot of effort on Remington Factory ammo and then it took a rubber mallet to open it after I fired it . It went back to the "custom" shop and 2 months later I got it back.

700 SPS that had the base mounting holes so far off even the most extreme inserts on Burris signature rings would not center the rifle.

I have had a lot of 700's.

WIthout a doubt the most problematic rifles I have ever owned . That said they have so many good handling and accuracy attributes that when they are assembled correctly are very very nice rifles. The only 2 other rifles I have ever returned to the Factory was a Ruger 77 and a Model 70 SS Classic. The ruger had a front mounting screw so tightened up I could not loosen it, and wondered if someone at the factory used red loctite and overtorqued it . The Model 70 had the splines messed up on the cocking piece. To their Credit Browning fixed it free of charge more then 20 years after it was made.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fishing huh.

DIdn't we have an attorney posting here that was looking for feedback on Remington 700 triggers a long while ago?
Not sure what the criteria is for “bad”, but I have personally experienced:

Two bolt handles fell off. Not knocked off, just fell off. A third was knocked off but I won’t blame the rifle for that.

One extractor that came out. Used rifle so no idea of its history.

One weak bolt stop spring that would let the bolt stop fall to the point that when you worked the bolt normally it would come right out the back of the receiver. Another used rifle so no idea of its history.

One NIB M700 BDL that was the worst finished thing I’d ever seen. It wouldn’t shoot for sheet and the area below the stock line hadn’t been polished or finished at all. To Remington’s credit they exchanged it for a brand new rifle.

One Model 7 .308 that wouldn’t shoot for sheet either, although there was nothing really mechanically wrong with it.

I can elucidate on the specifics of the above - model, caliber, etc., if desired.

The above is out of an unknown number of Model 700’s of various designations and calibers from .223 to .338 WM, 78’s, 788’s, that one and only M7 and one 660, Probably hitting 40 or 50 by now. The others were fine rifles, mechanically sound with triggers that responded well to adjustments, from good to excellent accuracy out of the box, those that weren’t responded well to glass bedding and free floating.

Have had a few Remington rimfires as well - Nylon 66, M121 Fieldmaster, one old Model 24 I got to play with for a few weeks and a couple of LH 581's - all were good, reliable rifles of good to excellent accuracy.
PS - Not a rifle but I'm still using the 52 year old 12 gauge Model 1100 my father gave me in 1966 and it's still going strong. I'm still only hitting about 22-23 birds on the trap range, but that's not the shotgun's fault. wink
Last 700 I got grouped like a .410. Went down the road that night. Never own another.
nope
My Mother bought me a new 40X in 1993 for my 40th birthday.The bolt handle is still on, the 6oz. trigger is terrible and it doesn't shoot worth a chit. [Linked Image]
I had to use a pocket knife to get the bolt out of a 660.
Originally Posted by DollarShort

And so? That's standard practice on the 600/660.
Originally Posted by Mike74

Sorry. Forgot the sarcasm font.
Nope. Still have a 1976 bdl 243 that kills deer every year.
I bought my first 700 in 1978, and I still have it.......one of the best rifles I've ever owned. Currently, I have 7 Model 700's and 4 Model 7's. They are all accurate, dependable, and have been 100% trouble free. I have an SPS in 6.5 Creedmoor that I just bought, and have yet to shoot, but I have no doubt that it will be just as good as the rest are. I changed the trigger out, as I hate the new Remington trigger.

I have sold 3 Remington rifles over the years...... a Model 7 in 204 because I found the cartridge to be a lousy coyote killer, a 243 that shot good enough, but just didn't fit my plans, and my one and only "bad" Model 700. That one was an XCR Compact Tactical, one of Remington's most expensive. The bolt handle came off after the third shot. They fixed it, and try as I might, I could never warm up that rifle again.

I like the Model 700 action, and the overall feel of the rifle. I have restocked several of mine, and changed the triggers out on the ones that have the new X Mark Pro. If I were buying a new rifle tomorrow, I'd do just as I did last week, and look first at a 700 or 7.
I had a trigger break on about 5 years ago, and a Remington SPS .300 WM that won't feed properly. I polished the feed rails, and put one less round in it now with no issues. The trigger was getting replaced anyways. I thought I had a bad Remington 700 DL SS .300WSM that had issues, but after trying to repeat the issue with a Tikka T3 .300WSM, I found out it's an ammo problem.
Originally Posted by Mike74

Sorry. Forgot the sarcasm font.

wink
Originally Posted by waterdoctor
nope

X 2, aka Same Here.

More 700s than ANY other Make/Brand and MORE than I can remember. -> TRUTH !
I have owned at least three dozen brand new mod 700's and nary a bad apple in the bounch, i have also owned another 15 or so brand new Model Sevens and I had one XCR model Seven in .300 WSM that the reciever tap holes for the scope mounts were so out of allignment that Remington refunded My money....Customer service at that time was excellent (15 years ago).......That being said I currently own a total of zero Remington rifles as I have grown very fond of CRF rifles lately.......Hb
Have owned more than a dozen RH and LH Rem 700's. Never lost a bolt handle. However, have had two that went "bang" when the safety was released. Fortunately, both instances during range sessions with barrel pointed down range. That's when I started using Timney triggers. Only have one Rem 700 left with a factory trigger.
Just one that had the trigger set improperly by previous owner.
Not the guns fault
I've owned far too many Remington 700s to remember and I've had two I would consider to be "bad"...

The first one was a first generation stainless fluted 300Rum... I threw every trick in the book and could barely get to stay on paper... finally sent it back to Remington and they replaced the rifle... the replacement rifle would still only shoot 4-5" at 100 yards... had it rebarreled with a Lilja and it shot great...

Second one was a XCR tactical long range in 308... the inside of the barrel was so rough that cleaning patches would snag in the barrel... I sent it back and Remington replaced the rifle... had no issues with the replacement rifle...
Yes, Rem 700's - I have had a bolt handle break off in my hand, no falls or anything else to stress it. I have had to replace extractors in three of them which was not really a big deal since they are simple to replace.

But the worse one I had was in the mid-eighties, it was a stainless/synthetic in 260 Rem. It was not only very inaccurate even after bedding the stock, but the bolt squeaked when closing it. I took it to my gunsmith to have it trued and to see if he could improve the accuracy, his comments after fixing it was that it was the most misaligned rifle he had ever seen. The bolt squeaking on closing was caused by the nose of the bolt hitting the back of the barrel on closing, the face of the receiver was out of square and the bolt body/bolt head juncture was misaligned which caused the bolt face to be misaligned also. He trued up the bolt face and trued the bolt body/bolt head juncture portion of the bolt, it required enough off of one side that you could clearly see the pin used to hold the bolt body and bolt head together on one side of the bolt.

Note:
For those who are not familiar with Remington 700 bolt construction they are a three piece bolt consisting of the soldered on bolt handle, the bolt body, and the pinned bolt head.

drover
Owned problably 10 over the years and all good. Accuracy also good. Ed k
Had to replace two triggers, a walker that would occasionally go off when the safety was removed and an x-Mark that I didn't have the patience to do the recall on. Had a speedmaster .22 that was a jam-0-matic and I had to send a new versamax back for a new bolt. The walker may have been messed with by the prior owner, but the rest were on Remington
I have two Rem 700s, both are accurate, now...let's see, both have had the bolt face lapped because it wasn't square. Both have had Timney triggers installed, because one discharged when my wife was taking the safety off at our range on our farm. Both have had their crappy factory stocks replaced, both have had new barrels installed cause they didn't shoot worth a crap in factory guise, and both have had the firing pin bushing thing done because both were cratering primers on well below max loads. Yeah, they're great, so great I'll never get another, but I'll be danged if I'll get rid of these now that they are finally decent rifles.
Not really "bad". But not good either. I've had this 30-06 for 30+ years. I've not shot it all that much, maybe 200 to 250 rounds in all that time. I never shoots better than 1 1/2" at 100 yards despite glass and pillar bedding, multi[le factory loads, multiple hand loads, checking every screw, and switching scopes. Not matter what I do, it just stays at 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards. Good enough for swamp hunting, but not much good for more open country.

Still have it since it was my first deer rifle. But I need better and am looking at the Bergara Ridge.
I have had many, never had one that wants a sub inch shooter. I have 9 now.

[Linked Image]
Never even considered one with Model 70s, Browning (Belgian in both Sako and 98 actions) and of course I do like Weatherbys. That said, I've owned two. One I ordered and waited forever, a 700 Classic in 35 Wheelen back in the 90s when they made a different caliber every year as you guys know. Went to pick it up and when you cycled the bolt, the lug raceways had apparently been overcut because the lock bolt could not be pulled back when the action was opened. Obviously I did not buy it. The second I still have, a bull barreled composite thumbholed stocked in 22-250 we keep at our place in PA for ground hogs and that is where it will stay. I load it one round at at time, NEVER use the safety but it is very accurate. I can say without reservation, I will NEVER own another. I find a non locking bolt safety completely unacceptable.
I bought one new in .300 WSM that wouldn't feed a cartridge from the magazine. The store I bought it from took it back and hgave me a full refund.
Nope not one and I've owned at least 10. I currently own 6 and all are shooters and have functioned flawlessly.
Originally Posted by mooshoo
out of all the Remington 700's and 600's or 660 or 721 have you had one go junk? I don't want hear about a friend, I want personal info, and I'll share my bad remmy was a 600 with a bad trigger, and I've had a lot remington's threw the years, new ones and old ones please share

As others, I've owned a lot of 700's; fortunately, I've never experienced a problem.
I have at the moment a 700 in .270 Winchester, where the throat is cut crooked - which I've verified with my borescope. It will become some other caliber.
I have a 721 waiting to be picked up at the gunsmith in Albuquerque that we could not get to shoot either factory ammo or reloads worth a damn. Finally decided to have it rebarreled. It belongs to my grandson and It's a sample of one--mainly because I have never had any other Remington centerfires.
Always liked the lines of the 700, but after owning a 600 and being exposed to other actions with more traditional construction, I lost interest in the "fabricated" ones. Not saying they're no good, or not strong and accurate, but part of the attraction of guns, and in particular, rifles, is the fine machining involved in ones like 98s and the like. Personal quirk, I suppose, but a feller has to indulge himself in a few ways.

I have to add that I never had a single issue of any sort in over 30 years spent with one pre-64, or with any of the numerous Mausers, a couple of old Sakos, or Ruger 77s of any of the three vintages. Problems like those related here would drive me nuts.
Out of the 25 or so 700's I've had, I had a Classic in 350 mag. that gave fits trying to get zeroed. A Remington rep told me that if anything on it was out of alignment, that it would be repaired or replaced. I lost interest in it & never sent it in. Sold it later to a guy that wanted to use it with the irons.

I'd like to compliment the folks here that have the common sense & the honesty to admit that you cannot judge a product for initial quality when acquired used.
Ya' judge something when you're the only person to have their paws on it.
A bad Remington?

Yes. Ordered a new 700 BDL from a distributor and the front sight was loose. Being accustomed to Remington front sights (or so I thought), I figured it just needed a little torque on the two screws. Just a bit of torque sheared off the visible screw on the lower ramp and the sight fell off in my hand. There was no screw hiding under the dovetail, as is normal. Nope, the bean counters at Remington re-purposed the sight base with a little stud that fits into the forward threaded hole in the barrel. Then, they installed a screw which was too long in the rear hole, or low portion of the ramp, which is why it sheared off. Thanks a bunch, you cheap bastards. I had to drill and extract the broken screw (6-48) and locate a new screw of the proper length. It was a lot of labor and aggravation due to a completely stupid engineering change.

Also had a POS from Winchester- a Model 94 Big Bore Timber Carbine in .444 Marlin. This thing wouldn't hit a washing machine at 50 yards. I finally re-crowned the muzzle and VIOLA!
It is now a very accurate shooter. FWIW, there was nothing visibly wrong with the muzzle crown, but there must have been something amiss.
I have had several 700"s but own none presently. Had a 270 go off when the safety was released once and replaced the trigger with a Timney. I had an ADL in 223 that took a lot of work to get it feeding correctly, the finish looked like sprayed on bead blasting material that rusted easily, it would only shoot certain bullets well. I sold it and it was the last new 700 I have owned.
Originally Posted by rickt300
IHad a 270 go off when the safety was released once .

I bought a M700 s.a. last year built a 223AI , the firing pin hole is so big I can hardly match 223 load data. At least the bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet...

I am in Jorge camp when it comes to the M700
I have a 250 savage classic. Fine rifle. Saw one that the scope holes had to be 1/4" off center. No way a scope was going on that gun.
I have 4 700's and a model 7 that are all fine. However, back in 1995 I bought a new Sendero 22-250 that would shave off part of the head stamp every time I closed the bolt.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fishing huh.

no fishing, was thinking about a new one to replace the one i bought back when i was 17 years old, first rifle i bought with my own money a 30/06 700 adl, or should i look for one that is about the same year. just can't believe the bolt falling off!
My Ti doesn't shoot worth a damn either.
I've owned a couple of Model Sevens, a couple of 700's, a 600, a 1187, and several 870s. Was issued three 700's (M-21 system) over the years; they worked fine and shot well. A couple of the 870s were Frankenguns and one wouldn't zero, but that's the only one.

That said, I stayed away from them because of the problems that were reported. Maybe if I'd owned more than I would have had more trouble.

Okie John
Have two sitting here that need to go back to them...

One a 243 ADL, that shoots patterns instead of groups.

The other a 7mm Rem Mag that you have to beat open the bolt after a round of factory ammo.

Those are the last two I purchased prior to bankruptcy, have not sent them in because I know what could have happened during bankruptcy (worked for a bankrupt company wink ). They are going back soon though, as I learned about 2 weeks ago that they exited back in May or June.
I have owned many but only once did I have the bolt handle come off. I currently have another but I hate the chambering (30-06) and will dump it as soon as I have some $ saved up. This one shoots M.O.A. when I do my part. On the whole they seem to have served me well.
This is worse than a Leupold bashing thread, and that is bad. grin
Last year I jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon by buying a cheap Howa that Whitakers had on sale. Right out of the box it was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. I had no plans to get rid of it, but I happened to mention it, and a neighbor kept pestering me about buying it, so I sold it for a very nice little profit.

I replaced it with a Model 700 in 6.5 CM. Shot it for the first time yesterday, using the loads I'd worked up for the Howa, and the 120 grain Sierra MK's shot very well. Of course, like any rifle, it needs to be experimented with and find the bullet-powder combo that it likes. But, I think it's going to be okay.

By the way, the holes for the bases were all in line, the bolt handle did not fall off, the barrel isn't rough looking, and it didn't come apart when I took it out of the box. I did replace that awful X Mark Pro trigger with an older Walker one, as that's my one and only gripe against Remington these days.
I've had one stinker of all the 700's I've owned. It was a .280 Classic purchased many moons ago with an out-of-round chamber.
That rifle soon turned into my first dip of the toe into custom(ized) rifles.

There are a lot of great custom actions on the market but the 700 is still my favorite action to build around in a hunting rifle - which is what I use them for. smile

Interestingly enough, I have only owned 3 M70's - one being the biggest cluster#$*! I've ever experienced with any rifle.

[Linked Image]
Yep, I have had a few. A brand new .22-250 bdl that the head spacing was so tight I could close the bolt on a chambered round. Remington no longer chambers that cartridge in the bdl line. A .300 win mag adl that shaved off the brass casing so bad that after four rounds it became difficult to chamber a round as the shavings worked their way into the chamber. A sps 7mm mag that had a bad chamber and could not extract the fired case without beating the bolt back. All of these rifles were bought new in the box as I don't buy used guns at all. I have one Remington at the moment, a 700 sps 7mm mag that replaced the one with the bad chamber. It works and shoots great.
Nope. And I’ve had a crap load of em too.
I’ll gladly sell the two I have (described above) to anyone at a fair and reasonable price!
I have had well over 50 different Remington rifles over the years. I have had only 1 turd in the bunch. It was a 25-06 Mountain Rifle. I so wanted it to shoot, but after two trips to the gunsmith to bed and true. It would not shoot any better than a 2" group. I sold it the day before deer season with the declaration that it was a 2" rifle. The guy took it out and killed his biggest white-tail buck to date on opening day and ending up winning a local Big Buck contest and won a free mount and a fist full of $$$. Oh Well. The rest were consistent shooters with a couple being phenomenal shooters.
I've had 4 Rem 700s, 2 in 7mm RM, a .375 H&H, and a .375 RUM. I traded the H&H for a Rem 541T, and I "upgraded" the 7mm ADL to a BDL. Never had any problems with any of them, and other that the .375 H&H, all my 700s have been on at least one international hunt along with multiple hunts here at home.
I had a Remington SPS-DM in .243 that wouldn't shoot better than 6 MOA with 2 different scopes and 4 different kinds of ammo. It also failed half the time to pick up rounds from the magazine if I didn't put upward pressure on it. It did that with two different magazines. It's the only rifle I ever sold.
I have purchased two Model 700s that would not chamber a round out of the box. They claim that all rifles are test fired before leaving the factory. No way one can test fire a gun if it will not chamber a round. I have a 22 Auto given to me as a new rifle that jams every third shot. I have had and sold other 700s that had extraction issues. Not another Remington for me.
Yeah...I bought one bout 18 months back and it's nothing but a POS! Couldn't get it to shoot any better than this:

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Ten rounds 900 yards that I covered with the palm of my hand!

Damn Remington! One of these days they're gonna learn how to make a decent shooting rifle!!
© 24hourcampfire