Home
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Howa 1500 - 10/15/19
Sportsman's Warehouse has the Howa 1500 Hogue stocked rifle for $399. I am thinking about getting one in .308 or 7-08.
They feel pretty good for a basic, no frills hunting rifle. the specs say 7.8 lbs so not real light but doable.

So what experiences do you have with Howa1500?

I already have a Leupold 3x9 to sit on top. Recommend bases or a rail?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: Howa 1500 - 10/15/19
I bought a barreled action a few years ago & put it in a laminated stock. Leupold scope, rings & bases. Same bases as the Rem. 700 I believe. It is on the heavy side but it has a very nice two stage trigger & groups under an inch with a few different reloads. The action was very smooth out of the box. Not a finely polished/blued finish but more than good enough for a hunting rifle, and the price. I like it.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Howa 1500 - 10/15/19
I really like the Howa 1500 rifles. I have owned several and they are problem free, feed and eject smoothly. All I have owned were MOA or better. The only downside is the weight for the standard rifles, but the Alpine and Mini rifles are quite light. They are a great value for the money.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Howa 1500 - 10/15/19
I just bought a HOWA 1500 in their Kuiu model in .223

I like it quite a bit, and the only quirk I found with it is that I needed to fire a number of rounds to get the barrel to be more receptive.

At first it shot only a few select loads well, after 200 rounds it accepts just about anything...
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Howa 1500 - 10/15/19
Howas and vanguards are my favorite rifles. Never had one not be accurate.
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
Thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
I have one of their heavy barrel 308. 20". Its put a lot of venison in the freezer.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
I built my daughter a Faux Alpine from one of those Sportsman's Warehouse $399 rifles. If you can find a used or new Howa Alpine stock and use Talley Mounts your rifle should come in right at 7 lbs scoped with your Leupold (I used a VariXIII 2.5-8X36). You can usually pick up used Alpine stocks for around $200, and they are worth every penny.

2019 Pronghorn
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]2019 season by taylorce1, on [bleep]

2018 Mule Deer
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]0f1e09c5-7622-472a-82d9-1a6d12e1ee6a-original by taylorce1, on [bleep]

2018 Whitetail
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]64aa1b75-1aa7-43aa-b613-bb70b2780682-original by taylorce1/url], on [bleep]

Hogue & Alpine Stock
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hvSUCg][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
RfP2PHd by taylorce1, on [bleep]

Without Butler Creek Caps
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]UQkWIsU by taylorce1, on [bleep]

With Butler Creek Caps
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]YH4KIm1 by taylorce1, on [bleep]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
I bought one in 6.5x55 at SW for $299. I liked it so well that I treated it to McMillan Edge. It feels just right now. Sadly, I haven't even shot it since I dropped it in the new stock.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

I like it quite a bit, and the only quirk I found with it is that I needed to fire a number of rounds to get the barrel to be more receptive.

At first it shot only a few select loads well, after 200 rounds it accepts just about anything...

My SW has one of those on closeout for $349. I have had a really hard time not buying it.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by ingwe

My SW has one of those on closeout for $349. I have had a really hard time not buying it.

Go back and get it! I got mine for $399 and thought THAT was a bargain!
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
I've had, and have, multiple Howa 1500's and Weatherby Vanguards in various calibers and styles. Really nice, accurate, rifles. Right now, my 2 most used rifles are Howa's, 1 in 7mm-08 and the other in 223 Rem. Between the 2, I'm covered for anything I'm going to hunt for.
Posted By: tzone Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
Good guns but they're tanks. I doubt you'll have any trouble with accuracy or function.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by tzone
Good guns but they're tanks. I doubt you'll have any trouble with accuracy or function.

This. They are excellent (one of the best IMO) actions, but heavy.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Howa 1500 - 10/16/19
I have three for some reason. One the most accurate rifles I own is a mid 80's S&W 1500 (made by howa) that I thought I would have shot the barrel out by now. But it still prints, it just has a bit longer throat now than whn it was new laugh
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Howa 1500 - 10/20/19
I own a Howa mini action and a Weatherby Vanguard. Like them both. I have some complaints about the Mini Action drop box magazine, and I don’t love the stock on my Vanguard, but otherwise they’ve been flawless. The fit and finish on the Vanguards seems better than the Howas and they are often just as cheap. I prefer the Hogue stock to the Weatherby one but I’m probably in the minority.

If I could build a custom rifle and my gunsmith could work metric threads, I’d start with a Howa action.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Recently I been playing with a Howa Mini HB in 6.5 Grendel. Working up reloads for it, and I find it amazing the velocities that you can get out of 31 grains or less of powder with such a little case. It's fun round!!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Shadow
Recently I been playing with a Howa Mini HB in 6.5 Grendel. Working up reloads for it, and I find it amazing the velocities that you can get out of 31 grains or less of powder with such a little case. It's fun round!!

Sounds good. Standard contour on layaway still here.

Here's a 1500 6.5 Creedmoor I messed around with. Someone here bought it. Wondering how they liked it?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by colorado11
I own a Howa mini action and a Weatherby Vanguard. Like them both. I have some complaints about the Mini Action drop box magazine, and I don’t love the stock on my Vanguard, but otherwise they’ve been flawless. The fit and finish on the Vanguards seems better than the Howas and they are often just as cheap. I prefer the Hogue stock to the Weatherby one but I’m probably in the minority.

If I could build a custom rifle and my gunsmith could work metric threads, I’d start with a Howa action.

Is the Vanguard stock that you don't like the current Vanguard2 Griptonite stock or the older style of stock?

I don't care for the older Vanguard stocks, but think that, for me, the V2 Griptonite stock is one of the very best injection molded stocks that manufacturers are currently making.

I like to put my Howa 1500s and Vanguards in McM Hunter stocks, but the B&C Medalist Weatherby style stock is a nice upgrade for under $300 from Stocky's.
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Thanks for all the great information! Will probably go pick up .308 today.

Is there really a problem finding a smith to work on metric rifles? I don't plan to do anything to it but shoot the heck out of it in the short term but down the road who knows.

so for Scope bases and rings.. I have some bases and rings that from a long action Remington 700. I have read they work on the long action Howa but don't know about the short actions.
Is a one piece rail a better way to go?

Thanks again.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter
Thanks for all the great information! Will probably go pick up .308 today.

Is there really a problem finding a smith to work on metric rifles? I don't plan to do anything to it but shoot the heck out of it in the short term but down the road who knows.

so for Scope bases and rings.. I have some bases and rings that from a long action Remington 700. I have read they work on the long action Howa but don't know about the short actions.
Is a one piece rail a better way to go?

Thanks again.

Most competent gunsmiths should know how to do metric threads. Howa bases are compatible with Remington 700 bases but I have only used 2 piece on both actions. I am not sure that one piece will work.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter

Is there really a problem finding a smith to work on metric rifles?

Thanks again.

There is zero chance that I would send anything to a “smith” who says he can’t work work on metric threads.

It’s BS nonsense from people who are just regurgitating crap they heard or read.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
Cutting metric threads isn't a big deal for any competent 'smith, but getting the barrel off a Howa 1500 action can be a challenge.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa 1500 - 10/21/19
One piece 700 bases are not compatible.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/24/19
Two piece Rem 700 Talley Lightweight mounts aren’t compatible or I was in a hurry and need to try again.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa 1500 - 10/24/19
You were in a hurry or need to try again.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Howa 1500 - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Here's a 1500 6.5 Creedmoor I messed around with. Someone here bought it. Wondering how they liked it?

I did shoots great
Very nice gun for the $$$
Now wears a Burris C4

Hank
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa 1500 - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I did shoots great
Very nice gun for the $$$
Now wears a Burris C4

Hank

Thanks Hank. Man, that seems so long ago now! Good to hear. That's one of many rifles that had to go, to justify mo!
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Is the Vanguard stock that you don't like the current Vanguard2 Griptonite stock or the older style of stock?

I don't care for the older Vanguard stocks, but think that, for me, the V2 Griptonite stock is one of the very best injection molded stocks that manufacturers are currently making.

It's just the distinctive Weatherby style of the stock that I don't like. If it had a straight comb, the V2 stock would be perfect. The quality is very good, I agree with you on that.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
Howa or Weatherby Vanguard? I appear to repeat myself.
This is the first one I have seen that was stamped both Howa and Weatherby.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: szihn Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
I the category of Push-feed Bolt actions, I rate them as the best.
Not just the best for the money.
The BEST.

If I were to criticize them the 2 things I think they should change is to get rid of the painted "HOWA" on the floor plate, and to use a far larger diameter screw in their bolt stop. The repair I have done on Howas the most is to replace the small broken screws that come in to this shop with larger screws so they never shear off again. Quick easy and cheap.

I also think Howa should consider making a left hand version. The LH market would welcome it.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
szihn, I agree wholeheartedly with your post on all points.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
I've had quite a few Howas and with the exception of a 6.5X55, they all shot good. I like the action, the 3 stage safety, and the trigger. But, I do not like the current Hogue stock, as they make the rifles heavy and clunky feeling. I recently put a scope on a new, although no longer made, Howa Lightning model in 243. The rifle weighed almost 8 pounds, and this was with a 20 inch barrel, minus scope. To me, that's a little too heavy.

I'd like to have another Howa, as I've traded all mine away, but I just can't find any love for them. The only Howa I think I'd own these days is one of the Alpine rifles that they made, and have now discontinued. The only exception to that is a Howa that is currently being shown in their catalogs as having an HS Precision stock.
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
I think Howa would benefit from investing in a quality injection molded stock that is made specifically for them, similar to what Weatherby has done with the Vanguard. The HS Precision models are awfully expensive for what you get (a Howa barreled action and a composite stock). The Hogue is fine for hunting, but Howa could do much better even as far as injection molded synthetic stocks go.

I don’t mind the weight of the Howa/Vanguard. I think an Alpine Mountain Rifle would be cool to have for fun, but like the HS Precision it was expensive and not even stainless steel. Overall I think I shoot better with a little more weight anyway. I never minded carrying my Vanguard with a padded sling.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
Howa and Rem 700 bases utilize same dimensions. Obviously a rail would be based on LA vs SA. While the actions are a bit heavy they can take a pounding. One piece steel bolt and handle, excellent oversized recoil lug for great accuracy in a bedded stock, receiver and recoil lug forged from a solid billet of steel. About as durable an action there is. Many custom rifle builders have used Howa actions on their lower price point rifle builds, Charlie Sisk is one that comes to mind.
Posted By: eric1186 Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
I used a Redfield 1 piece Rem 700 base on my Mossberg badged 1500...Fit perfect...
Posted By: Shadow Re: Howa 1500 - 10/26/19
Just in case anyone is looking for a Rem 700 or Howa 1500 2 piece Base, that will take both Weaver and Picatinny Rings, and are also canted for LR shooting:

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Tacti...iece-Tactical-Scope-Mount-24-M.O.A..html
Posted By: orfisch Re: Howa 1500 - 10/28/19
Speaking of the alpine stocks to lighten the load, I haven't seen any on ebay for awhile. Any other sources out there?
© 24hourcampfire