Home
Mine's a 1966 Model 70 Push Feed Custom Deluxe .270 Winchester. I bought it in late August 1966 just before starting my Senior Year in High School. I've bought and had built a lot more rifles since but it was what i used most and it works. It's still my go to rifle. What's your favorite that you've had the longest and killed the most deer with?
steyr professional mod m in 3006. so good I got another just in case. !!!!!
M70 .30-06, Lyman 4X. My dream rifle when I was 12.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mine is a Sako AV chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, can't remember the year but safe to say it has been decades ago.
Mid 70's Rem 700 BDL in 270. It is on it 2nd barrel and 4th stock. One of my grandsons took a pair of whitetails, on our recent opener, with it. One was a very nice 8 point.
It has been to a lot of places with me, and has never failed to do the job I expected of it.
A Remington 700 Classic in 300 Savage. A close second is my Savage 16 in 7mm/08. Those two may not be the ones I've owned the longest but they have been my favorites.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Sweet Moses!
JC Higgins 50 in 30-06
Originally Posted by oilburner350
JC Higgins 50 in 30-06

That's a good one. I got one of them, and like it a lot.
1955 M70 .270 fwt.
This is an excellent question. I have owned more brand new bolt action centerfire rifles over the past 35 years than I can possibly remember ( between 75-100) and I can not think of one that I like better than a Kimber 84M/84L Subalpine model 👍.....Hb
We've only been legal to use centerfire rifles in the counties I hunt since 2013 so my total isn't very substantial. That said, I hunted Pennsylvania with the rifle for 35 years and killed plenty of bucks and some doe there. These days the NULA 7mm-08 is my favorite and has probably killed a few more than my NULA 243. If I had to choose just one, it'd be the 7mm-08 for sure.

Mine is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 chambered for the .270 Winchester--but I live in, and hunt deer in, wide open country.

I haven't shot a deer (whitetail, mule deer or Coues whitetail) in what most people would call a "woodland" since I moved away from Nebraska at the end of 1984.
Have been hunting 20ish seasons now.

Don't think I have one that shines.

First deer was killed with a post 64 Winchester m88 in 308. Long story but I will probably never inherit that rifle.

I bought a sporterized Mauser in 3006. Killed with it regularly till I was in my 20s probably. Then went to Remington pump guns.

Now I've changed back to bolt guns and am setting up a Kimber Montana that I think will be everything I want in a rifle for most my hunting. Already killed a buck with it this past season. I think I will end up killing a lot of critters in my life with that rifle.
Remington 700 308 converted BDL walnut to ADL composite. Purchased in 1978.

I have a 2018 Sako 85 Black Synthetic Finnlight 308 that has quickly stolen my heart.

1992 browning A Bolt Medallion .270 Win BOSS... beat to death and just put a new Swarovski 2.5-15x56 on it... taken a pile of elk/hogs/deer with it. They are in troubleinside 500 yards.
One of these 2.
Mod 70 ot6
Sako post ww2 customized K98 8x57

[Linked Image]

1980 Remington M700 Classic, 270 Win. with Leupold M8 4X for the past 39 years.
1984 Remington 700 Classics in 250 Savage. Shoots right where I look and the cartridge is death to whitetails.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Mule deer. Ruger 77 7x57

Whitetail deer. Savage 99-A 250-3000

If going by number of deer killed with any one rifle.........as of this year, my favorite rifle became my CVA
.50 caliber flintlock Mountain Rifle.

Shooting a Hornady PA Conical over top 80 grains of Ffg and the gun is pure death for any deer inside my self-imposed 100 yard limit. Only reason I limit it there is NOT due to the rifles accuracy of my ability, but due to lock time with the flinter and how far a deer CAN move during that window.
My 760 30-06.
This is nearly an IMPOSSIBLE ? for me to answer.
I have had MORE rifles than I can possibly remember. There was only 1 that even Browning Utah couldn't make accurate.

I want to preface my possible answers by saying that I love Walnut & Blue but......composite and SS is so utilitarian.

I like/love light weight rifles so # 1 possible Fav Deer Rifle is

T 3 Lite SS 270 Win
Sorry for re run of the pic. That was in 2016 and SINCE 2003 she has been PERFECTLY dependable.

# 2 possible Fav is NOT heavy for what it is.

Rem Model 6 in 30-06 (6-06). I didn't realize how much lighter it was than the Model Sixes in 6mm & 270 until 2016.

# 3 possible and front runner FOR ME as 1 rifle FOR ALL hunting

Drum roll...........

Tikka T 3X Lite SS > 7mm RM
*** That was 2018. We have an Antlerless ONLY season in Oct. That was the FIRST deer I shot with this rifle.***

My problem is that I am a Rifle Loony aka slut ! I like A LOT of diff rifles but these 3 are at the top of MY list.

Jerry
That’s a real sweet pair . 😎

Originally Posted by renegade50
One of these 2.
Mod 70 ot6
Sako post ww2 customized K98 8x57

[Linked Image]

Marlin MR-7 in 270 Win.....incredibly accurate and well-designed rifle which my son has now claimed as his own!
[Linked Image]
Used to be my 700 classic 257 roberts til my wife used it. Now she claims it as her deer rifle.
Now I grab one of 3 and it dont matter which one.
700 classic in 250 savage
700 mountain rifle in 25-06 or 700 mountain rifle in 7-08
Sako’s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Every one I've ever used, from a '92 Winchester in 32-20 to the E.M. Reilly double in 500 BPE that I recently sold. If going by the most big game taken with one rifle, as has been mentioned, it would be my Shiloh Montana Roughrider in 45-90.

When I killed my first deer with a 270, it was my favorite. Same with, 45-70, 40-82, 40-70, 11.15 X 60R, 9.3 X 75R Nimrod, 10.5 X 47R, 33 WCF, 300 Win. Mag., 8 X 57IR, 9 X 57, 45, 50 and 54 cal. muzzleloaders and no doubt some I've forgotten over 54 big game seasons.
My .280 Ackley Improved. Its a deer killing machine.
Been a deer hunter since I was 20 (killed two that year in MD with a shotgun & slug - 1976). After that I switched to a Ruger M-77 in 270 WIN that my wife bought for me in early 1978, great rifle and still own it. However, I bought this used Winchester M-88 in 308 WIN in 1995, for whatever reason I fell in love with it and it has been my favorite ever since (owned two other M-88's for awhile, but both are long gone). This one trucks on, making meat for me every season. I have other very good deer rifles but have to force myself to use them.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Been a deer hunter since I was 20 (killed two that year in MD with a shotgun & slug - 1976). After that I switched to a Ruger M-77 in 270 WIN that my wife bought for me in early 1978, great rifle and still own it. However, I bought this used Winchester M-88 in 308 WIN in 1995, for whatever reason I fell in love with it and it has been my favorite ever since (owned two other M-88's for awhile, but both are long gone). This one trucks on, making meat for me every season. I have other very good deer rifles but have to force myself to use them.

That is a nice looking rifle sir. What is it about this one that you liked better than the other two M88’s?
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Absolutely Beautiful!
Originally Posted by oilburner350
JC Higgins 50 in 30-06

I still want one of those. Best damn bargain God ever put on this earth, the model 50 JC Higgins.
[align:right][/align]
Originally Posted by handwerk
1955 M70 .270 fwt.

I'd give my left Nut for one of those.
Whatever is in my hand at the time. Lately it has been this.
Walking/woods rifle;

Savage M99c in .308.

Stand/field hunting;

Thompson Center Pro Hunter in 25-06.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Mule deer. Ruger 77 7x57

Whitetail deer. Savage 99-A 250-3000

The closest I've come to a Savage 99 was a plastic model of one, believe it or not. Back in the late 50s-early 60s there were 1/5th scale models of rifles. My mother bought me one of a 99. That forever endeared me to th 99. I don't know why a real one has alluded me so many years. Every so often I go out on a pawn shop drive about looking for some of my grail guns (Guns I've wanted and hold in high esteem). I don't find many but 4 years back I found a Browning Auto 5 Sweet 16, which along with a 99 in .250-3000 were always at the top of my list and I scored it for $400. Then a couple years later I found another grail gun a model 12 Winchester in 12 Ga. and paid $250 for it. Both are in great condition and I feel I got really sweet deals. Now to find another of my Grail Guns that I've longed for for over 60 years, a nice model 99 chambered in .250-3000. That would only leave two, a Model 29 44 Mag. S&W and a pre-64 Model 70 in either .257 Roberts or .270 Winchester. Then life would be complete.
For sentimental reasons, the Rem 742 my dad give me for my 15th Christmas. Ol' Reliable has dumped a bunch of deer since 1971. I've stripped and refinished the stock and retired her to the safe for now. These days, I'm just as likely to grab the new Montana in 7-08 as the '59 Savage 99F in 250 Sav. with factory irons.
Originally Posted by hanco
Sako’s

Oh God Hanco, now that's some fine rifles. One of these days I'll run across a Good Sako in a caliber I love and I'll own it. Their fit and finish is unequaled and they're damn well accurate too.
I started this thread on a whim. I didn't know how it would be received on here because there's a lot of threads similar. But I have enjoyed looking and reading about all the guns you all have put up here and/or talked about. This is what I live for. I'm very happy I did this. I will be checking this thread carefully for awhile. Thanks to all who posted, whether pics or just text. I'm enjoying whether I answered or not. I read every post here and enjoyed every one.
I bought this Ruger 77 .30-06 years ago to hunt elk. Never got a shot in two seasons, so one year grabbed it to go deer hunting. Now I can't put it down, it goes most of the time. Even uses the 180gr load I worked up to go elk hunting. Good honest rifle.

SS Classic M70 Fwt in 270Win shooting 140gn TSX. I've hunted that rifle from just off the US/Mexico border to ~40Mi inland from the Arctic Ocean. Deer, elk, caribou, pigs, and I borrowed it to a gal who used it for her WSMR Oryx.
Mod 70 pre 64 Fwt in 270 Win
The FN Made in South Carolina M70 Featherweight 3o/o6 that I have been using for the past few years is my go to.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My P64 270 Win Featherweight with a M8 4X on top is my favorite.
A 1975 model 700 bdl in 270 winchester
Ruger #1 s.s. brux barrel 257 Weatherby Mag.,Nightforce scope
Stainless Browning 260. Had it for 20 years, it has killed everything I have pointed it at, with one shot. It has killed critters in TX, KS, WY, AL and AZ.

I know some dont think too highly of them, but I love that gun.
whichever one I happen to be carrying. Changes yearly and sometimes daily.
Savage 99 250 on up......
Pre 64 fwt 270, but I see I am not alone!
Originally Posted by patbrennan

No you're not alone. There's two kinds of people, those that own a pre 64 Winchester and those that wished they did. I'm unfortunately one of the latter.
I’ve been hunting deer for over 50 years, mostly with a Rem 700 in 270 Win. So, my favorite deer rifle is a Mark X Mauser in 35 Whelan.
My custom 280 Ackley Imp. built on a Model 70 CRF action. Taken lots of deer and 1 elk over the past 25+ years.
Mine is quickly becoming the Remington 700 mountain rifle in .308 win I've hunted the last 3 years. Carries like a dream. Shoots wonderfully. Does everything I can ask of a rifle.
I thought that would be an easy decision to make until I thought about it a minute or two. I love hunting and shooting with different types of rifles depending on where I'm going to be hunting and who I'm hunting with. I've probably shot more deer with a Ruger 77 in 30/06 than any other rifle and still have one ready to go at all times. My Ruger Number One that has been a 270, a 6.5x55 and is now a 243 would come in close second and tied with my Marlin 336 in 44magnum. My favorite deer rifle is of my early 1900's rifles with a receiver sight. It doesn't matter which one.
Sako Finnwolf in 243. I have had more fun hunts w/ that rifle than any other.

mike r
My favorite is my first centerfire rifle, bought in 1974. It’s a Rem 700 ADL 25/06. Still have it.
That's the hardest question I have ever read...............................................
Great thread. The only problem is that this is like asking which of your kids you like best !

I have two. The first is a Winchester Featherweight in 7mm-08, with the most beautiful factory stock I've ever seen. Stock looks custom with the magnificent wood grain, and shoots under an inch.

The second is a Kimber Montana in .308 - light, easy to carry, and accurate as can be. Deer-slaying machine.

Last two of all that I'd ever sell.
Like others have said...Tough question. A lot depends on where I'm hunting, but my choices usually come down to a custom Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser and a Marlin 336 SC in 35 Remington. But my all time favorite and likely the one rifle I'll try to sneak into the nursing home one day, just because I don't want to ever give it up, is a Marlin 336 in 44 magnum. I haven't hunted with it in the last few years, but is is always ready to go and I know exactly what it can do.
Model 700 in .243 win, 4x12 vx3.
Easily my all time favorite has been my Model 70 FWT in 280rem. We took a fall this past season so I had Stuart at Wildcat Composites make me a new stock and turned it into a sub 1/2” moa rifle smile

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Stainless Browning 260. Had it for 20 years, it has killed everything I have pointed it at, with one shot. It has killed critters in TX, KS, WY, AL and AZ.

I know some dont think too highly of them, but I love that gun.

Man, anybody doesn't like a Browning anything, either ain't right in the head or is a bloomin' libtard anti-gunner. If you get tired of it just send it my way.
Favorite, is a relative term to me. But I would have to go with a Savage 99 in 250 for out walking. For stand hunting I might go with a Mauser type bolt.
My favorite is the Ruger 77 MK/II stainless!
Chambered in....270 Win or 30-06.
Originally Posted by patbrennan

No sir. There is a reason they are so danged popular...
70s Sako Finnbear 30-06, only comes out once in a while now due to the weight, like some others here being my first rifle I have some attachment to it.
First year Remington 700 Classic in 270. Have killed a truckload with it, and if there is any better deer killer than a 270 and a 130 grain bullet, it has yet to be invented.

Probably this one...

6.5 SAUM.
For a long time it was a 1917 Enfield in 30-06 cut down into a carbine with a Lyman receiver sight shooting 220 RN in the Mn north country.

After cataract surgery a Sav. 99 in 308 cut to 16" with a Weaver K-1.5 and 180gr RN's best day was 4 deer still hunting northern WI, I've since given it to my nephew. It has been replaced by a Sav. 99 in 375 Win Leupold 1-4x20mm for still hunting and a Savage 11 in 25-204(100gr Partitionat 2800+fps) with an Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm for stands and more open country.

I do have a JP Sauer Drilling in 16ga/16ga/7x57R with a 6x42 Nichols scope and a Weaver K-1.5 in a low mount that will go on my next deer hunt.
Savage Stainless 7-08 is my favorite deer rifle. (circa 2000-01)
It was my wife's first rifle I bought her, but was too long lop. So I started using it. Love it, only thing I don't like is it being a blind mag.

Favorite rifle is a Savage 300wsm, but way over what is necessary for mississippi whitetails.

Deer Rifle I hate with a passion.....my first one.
Rem 7400 in 30-06 muzzle unloader.
(After each shot you had to ram a rod down to knock out the empty cartridge)
Cleaned that rifle every time I touched it. had the bore polished twice and problem always returned. finally got rid of it.
We have an old Remington 722 with a 308 barrel that my late wife took to Africa and used it to hunt plains game.

She died in 2008, and it's our son's now.

It was made the year of her birth, and I bought it for her from an old timer at the Medina, OH gun show. He was the original owner, and had the 308 barrel installed because he liked 308 more than 243.

I had a Pachmayr recoil pad added, and an old weaver 4X scope, and taught her how to shoot a rifle prior to the hunt.

Nothing fancy, but certainly my favorite rifle ever.

If I was down to one rifle for the rest of my life, that would be the one.
I like Kleinguenther rifles a lot!
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Originally Posted by Odessa

That is a nice looking rifle sir. What is it about this one that you liked better than the other two M88’s?

Thank you. Because it's the accurate one! The other two (an early 308 WIN,(1955) and a post-64 284 WIN) wouldn't shoot worth a hoot regardless of what powder, bullet, primer, COL, etc. I tried. The one I own as pictured (a 1963 model) will shoot 1 to 1-1/8" groups at 100 yards all day long with a 165 grain Hornady Interlock bullet and IMR-4064.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Bob, that is a beautiful rifle - just perfect!
Odessa

Beautiful & Gorgeous.

Jerry
I have a few 700’s I like.

Originally Posted by jwall
Odessa

Beautiful & Gorgeous.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a few 700’s I like.

Great taste man! 700's and leupolds. Win, win.
Originally Posted by lapua6547

280 in what Rifle ? <grin>

Jerry

Jerry

Model 70 of course!
Man I’m gonna have to say this epic goatfuuck, wearing a leupold that doesn’t hold zero... 😂😂😂

It’s my huckleberry for straight up makin meat.
Originally Posted by Judman
Man I’m gonna have to say this epic goatfuuck, wearing a leupold that doesn’t hold zero... 😂😂😂

It’s my huckleberry for straight up makin meat.

At least it's chambered in a decent cartridge!

Jerry

Model 70 of course!

Well...... that’s not a bad choice ! SMILEY.

No one believes me OR they can’t remember ???

At some time way back there, I wish I remembered the year,

Winchester said they would NOT make a rifle IN a cartridge that Remington made.

Obviously they changed their attitude.

Jerry
[quote=Judman]
————————

Hey Jud, How did you BEND the bolt handle ?
Warranty wouldn’t fix it ?
laugh laugh laugh

Jerry
😂😂
Remington 700 Mtn Rifle .280, with Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x40 mounted in Talley lightweights.
LIke others have said, not an easy decision. I would say it would have to be my custom Kimber in 243.

I have owned and hunted with more than my share of rifles, but am now slowly disposing of all but the most favorite ones. The last to go would be the Brno 22F in 7X57.

Jerry

Model 70 of course!

Well...... that’s not a bad choice ! SMILEY.

No one believes me OR they can’t remember ???

At some time way back there, I wish I remembered the year,

Winchester said they would NOT make a rifle IN a Remington cartridge.

Obviously they changed their attitude.

Jerry

Wise choice on their part!
puah -- ( I know it's wah )

*At the time *, I understood where they were coming from.

Yes it was wise of them. Remington HAS done a FEW things right------not too many.
Win would have lost out on selling MANY rifles chambered for Rem cartridges .

The 6mm Rem, & 7 Rem Mag are 2 of my fav cartridges. However my 6 is a Rem M Six and 7 RM is a Tikka.
Nonetheless, Winchester did good by changing their minds---IMO

Jerry
[quote=Hook]

--------------------------

VERY Nice! Buck & Rifle

Jerry
Originally Posted by Hook
I have owned and hunted with more than my share of rifles, but am now slowly disposing of all but the most favorite ones. The last to go would be the Brno 22F in 7X57.

Great little rifle.
Rem 660
Brown Precision stock/Decelerator,
shortened a bit to work with warm clothes.

Mag is too short/throat too long
Trigger sucks
Just barely meets my MOA requirement.

I hate to hear about "special rifles" with mystical properties.

But, when I shoot at deer with that gun, stuff dies.
Originally Posted by K22
LIke others have said, not an easy decision. I would say it would have to be my custom Kimber in 243.

BEAUTIFUL rifle K22!!

I have two favorites:

Ruger Express 25-06 with Win. 115 gr. BST and

Ruger Hawkeye SS/syn 280 Rem. with Win. 140 gr. BST.
Custom 30-06 Springfield topped with a 4x Leupold until recently and I changed the scope out for a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9. Still use it regularly.
Mine is a pawn shop find 30+ years ago. Remington 700 adl in 25-06. Wears a Leupold 3-9 and both are well used and show it. Shoots great with factory Remington Core-lokt’s.

Milfhunter
Originally Posted by surefire7
Originally Posted by K22

BEAUTIFUL rifle K22!!

I have two favorites:

Ruger Express 25-06 with Win. 115 gr. BST and

Ruger Hawkeye SS/syn 280 Rem. with Win. 140 gr. BST.

Thanks surefire7.
Originally Posted by Hook

Beautiful buck and fine looking rifle.
My Ruger #1A Lt. Sporter with a 23” custom barrel chambered for 7x57. Light, handy, nicely accurate, mild recoil, fits me like a glove and, with 145 Speer Hot-Cors loaded to ~2770 fps, efficiently takes deer anywhere from “powder burn” distances out to any distance that I care to shoot. (max. self-imposed range ~300 yds.)

Over the past 60 years I’ve killed deer with a pile of different rifles/calibers. All of them worked o.k. but this one is definitely my sweetheart.😘
Mine is a Kimber 84M in 7mm08. Picked it up on clearance in Anchorage AK 15 yrs ago. 7mm08's weren't popular up there at the time. I figured there was a 50/50 chance of returning to the lower 48 and knew it would be the perfect whitetail combo.
@driggy,

It's also perfect for hunting Alaska, although the Montana version is a bit more waterproof.
Originally Posted by Bobber257
My Ruger #1A Lt. Sporter...

Over the past 60 years I’ve killed deer with a pile of different rifles/calibers. All of them worked o.k. but this one is definitely my sweetheart.😘

That's my Unrequieted (sp) Sweetheart too. I had 3-4 # 1s but just couldn't get my hands on a 1A Lt. Sporter.

Jerry
Most things in AK, But bear and bull moose I liked something with more punch. Guess it work good on blacktail and caribou, even black bear. When the coastal bears were around, I preferred to at least have some one around with a 338WM or bigger. The sound of a shot was the same as a dinner bell sometimes.

I quickly found out the need for stainless/synthetic or other weatherproof type guns. In the fall, it doesn't stop raining until it turns into snow.
Filaman: August 1st of 1950 was the date the Winchester Arms Corporation made my all time favorite "Deer Rifle"!
It is a Model 70 Standard Weight Rifle with 24" barrel and solid bolt handle.
It shot/shoots very well and I have harvested countless Blacktail Deer, Antelope, Elk, Mt. Goat, Whitetailed Deer, Black Bear and Mule Deer with it.
"It" harvested so much game so efficiently so reliably and for so long - that I chose to retire it several years back now.
It hangs in a place of honor in my gun vault room.
I replaced it with a Remington 700 Sendero with the 26" heavy barrel and a fiberglass factory Sendero stock, it is also in caliber 270 Winchester. It wears a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope and to date I have harvested Mule Deer, Bull Elk, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with it.
It is more accurate than my "favorite" old pre-64 Model 70 in 270 Winchester and I don't worry about it travelling and banging along with me like I did with my Model 70 just before I retired it.
That old Model 70 in 270 Winchester was an accurate, safe, reliable and handsome Rifle - it still is come to think of it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm replying to Fav RIFLE, >> not cartridge.
I guess you could say I'm fond of

these.
Top one is in Rem 6mm
Second one is 30-06
** Third one is MY first M Six 270. Son has inherited it and HE put the bubba's on it.
Fourth one is 270 Win that I inherited from My DAD.

Of those 4, the 06 is the lightest, noticeably.

This one has been a FAV rifle since 1981 when Win introduced them

I immediately fell in love with that stock. I STILL have a 1981 Win catalog introducing the FTWTs.
I 'ordered' one AS SOON as they were available. Got it in Spring of 1982 <not that particular rifle>

And since I have 2, I kinda like these:

R- T 3 Lite SS 270 Win
L - T 3X Lite SS 7 RM

And ANOTHER FAV rifle is

Win 70 New Haven "Black Shadow" in 300 W M.
It FEELS so good, Balanced perfectly for me, stable stock.

I'm like Hugh Hefner was about women:
I love RIFLES. I've had handguns (revolvers & semi autos) since the 70s. They have come and gone. I paired down to just one 9mm for several years and this week picked up a 40 S W in a M&P 40.
BUT-- RIFLES have STAYED the whole time.

Jerry
My favorite deer rifle is an easy one my Grandpa's Winchester 94 in 32 special.
Winchester Model 64Supreme in 32 Special.
A gift from my parents, 1955.
Stolen from me in Potsdam NY some years later. Still miss it.
Originally Posted by domit
steyr professional mod m in 3006. so good I got another just in case. !!!!!

Ugly damn guns but I have had 4 or 5 of them because they shoot so well and that stock design fits me extremely well. I don’t think I shoot any gun better off hand than that model. Dang it now I have to buy another one
257 Weatherby Vanguard in McMillan stock and Timney trigger. Probably killed over 100 deer with it.
Ruger 77RLS tang safety in 358Win...
Winchester 88 .308, killed my first and biggest deer with that rifle.
Tikka T3lite in .270, has a sightron big sky 2 3x9x42
Kimber 84m 6 Creedmoor.
I think I could really like my Remington 742 bdl '06 but my state won't let me use it.
It's one I no longer have.

When I was about 7 I got a Ruger 10/22. Used. Was one with the fancier walnut stock. Later on when I was 11 or so I was bugging my father for a deer rifle. Of course I wanted a Ruger like my 22.

Nickolai's had a brand new Ruger tang safety in 30-06. Was before the MKII came out. Dad "loaned" me the $364.80 it cost and I topped it with a Simmons 3-9. When I was 13 and had the birthday money saved to pay off the rifle in full - he simply cancelled the debt.

Later in life, early 20's, I let emotion override good sense. I sold every gun I had. Including those two, mostly out of spite. Things change, I got older and oddly enough, the older I get the smarter my dad seems to get...

I didn't shoot many deer with that rifle and I'd love dearly to have it or a copy.

Ruger, tang safety in 30-06 with what's basically a blister pack scope on it is easily my most favorite deer rifle. Even tho I no longer have it.
My 1909 argentine mauser build in 6.5x55...

Have not shot a deer with it but I like the balance and feel of the rifle. Just a matter of time until it gets to tag a deer
This is my 7X57, built of a G33/40 action, with a featherweight Douglas barrel and a Fajen stock, made to my specifications, by combining elements of two different stocks.

Back in the early '60's, I walked into my friend the gunsmith's shop, and he asked me if I wanted to buy an action. "What kind of an action?" was my natural response. He pulled out a G33/40 action fitted with a commercial trigger guard unit and sporting an altered bolt, unquestionably my friend's workmanship. "I did the work on this rifle and he was unable to pay me. He told me to sell the action for what he owed me," he replied. I looked the action over and asked, naturally, "How much." The answer was so reasonable it nearly floored me. Even though I was a student at the time, I was able to come up with the cash for it and the barrel and stock.

When I went to Africa in 1974, it went with me, and in addition to several other head of game, up to and including wildebeest, it accounted for this record book Peters gazelle.

It is my go-to deer rifle.

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]
ALLLLLLright X 2.

Jerry
Tikka M65 in . . . . . . . . . you guessed it . . . . . . . . 30-06.
I've had a bunch of favorite deer rifles over the years. You could say I'm fickle.

For about the first 20 years or so, I would have said a Remington 1100 12 GA, only because I was hunting in Ohio and it was a shotgun-only state.

When I got to hunt in Kentucky, my first favorite was a Remington 742 in 30-06. Then I got on this august forum and found out about the Savage 99. My 99 in 308 WIN is still my GOTO gun for The KY Rifle Opener.

For over a decade my best deer-getter was a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. The Whelenizer accounted for 10 deer in 10 seasons.

I retired The Whelinzer when I got my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

But my recently rehabilitated K98 Mauser in 8X57 is starting to pull on my heartstrings. The Mauser from Hell is rapidly becoming my new favorite.

Pictures are here:

The Shamanic Deer Battery
© 24hourcampfire