Home
Posted By: RickinTN Red dot sight? - 01/17/24
Hello all!
I’m from Middle Tennessee where we don’t have hogs. Hoping to go to somewhere in Texas to shoot a few. For you guys who shoot lots of hogs…I don’t notice any Red Dot sights on your rifles. Only scopes. I’m a scope kinda guy too but thinking of rigging one of my rifles up with a Red Dot sight. Any advice along those lines? Considering Holosun and Burris. I’m better with green colored front iron sights than red. Will that carry over?
Thanks for your help!
Rick
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Red dot sight? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Hello all!
I’m from Middle Tennessee where we don’t have hogs. Hoping to go to somewhere in Texas to shoot a few. …
Rick
I understand there’s something of a hog infestation near Jamestown TN, if that’s not too far from you. Tennessee laws concerning the universally hated hogs are unusual, to say the least. But, if you can get yourself onto a landowner’s list of approved hog eradicators, business could become quite brisk.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Red dot sight? - 01/18/24
I've been using Burris Fast Fire 3s for a few years on 44 mag pistols. Have had zero issues, well the screws they used to send to mount them use a tiny allen head that will strip. I believe that they now send them with a much better style.

I just finished load workup with a 375 Whelen Improved. It's an old flat back savage, I used a rail and Burris on it as well. It's a really great handling gun with that little red dot up there. I mounted mine toward the back of the rail. I see most people put them a lot further forward. I tried both.

I have looked through several of the Holosun reticles, I like them, but have no experience that you couldn't get at the gun store.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Red dot sight? - 01/18/24
Get a 1-4 scope with illumination. Best of both worlds.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Red dot sight? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by TheKid
Get a 1-4 scope with illumination. Best of both worlds.
X2
Posted By: geedubya Re: Red dot sight? - 01/18/24
Can't answer about the "carry-over.........

A few that have followed me home.......

Tru-Glo Multi-Reticle Red/Green Dot Sight,
AR-15, 223 Wylde

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

great for running and gunning close up!

R93, 308 Win, Vortex Venom, 3MOA Red Dot,

Hammer Double, 30 WCF Burris Fast Fire, 3MOA Red Dot

A couple Merkel 141's with Trijicons W/ RMR Type 2, 3.25 MOA Red Dots

Javelina, 8 x 57 JRS, +/-70 yds IIRC

Hoglet, 30-06 Springfield, +/- 50 yds.

Sauer 404 Golden Boar, 308 Win, Aimpoint H2 Micro, 2 MOA

With my eyes I prefer red dots to green dots, especially in bright daylight.

I don't shoot over 100 yds with red dots so I like 3 MOA dots on rifles

6 MOA Dots on Pistols.

Sig P320 X-Ten, 10MM, Leupold Delta Point, 6MOA

ya!

GWB
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Red dot sight? - 01/19/24
Geedubya!
What wonderful display of sweet rifles! I know it is a small portion of your wonderful collection. I am particularly impressed with the sweet exposed hammer 30 WCF double. If I were to find myself in your company some day I would love the opportunity to fondle her and maybe even tickle her triggers. I would be happy to furnish my own ammo of her choosing of course.
Although I don’t have them in my possession just yet I am awaiting delivery of two sights, a green Holosun and a red Burris FF III. Maybe they will scratch my itch for a short while.
Thanks to all who responded and keep them coming. As a side note, I like pictures.
Thanks,
Rick
© 24hourcampfire