Home
Posted By: dawhip Varmint load for .270 or .260? - 12/30/00
Looking for a good varmint load for a .270 and .260. I've got one of each and have thought of getting a .243, but I'd probably end up with a matching divorce if I got another gun. Also, I don't really plan on doing a lot of varmint hunting. Most of the hunting would be for fox or coyotes.<P>Dave
Posted By: stv Re: Varmint load for .270 or .260? - 01/01/01
I have used the 90 gr sierra hollow points in 270 from sierra on woodchucks and the results are spectacular. They were accurate, fast and explosive in my particular gun. I don't know what varmint your after or whether the hide is important to you. If you want the hide do not use the 90 gr sierra hollow points - just tatters come down. Whew!! regards, stv
I have to confirm the previous post. I used the 90 gr. Sierra too. It's accurate but don't shoot anything with it unless you want to turn it inside out.
60gr H4831 90-100 gr projectile, oh yea, hot but not to hot, BEARHUNTER
Agree with Prairie Dog Shooter, I'm using 55.5 grn Varget to push a 90 grn Sierra Hollowpoint to average 3560-3640 (ambient temp dependant)fps. It is the most accurate load that I use for my "deer" rifle. Hell, my deer loads (130 grn Hornady SST) won't shoot tighter than 0.4". Shot my personal best last week with the H points. 5 shot 0.26" group. Remington Sendero, Zeiss 3X9 Diavari, stock except for trigger adjustment-2LBS. badger.
Badger, That's a good shootin' Sendero you have there. Mine, in 25-06, would not do that well until I got it back from Arnold Arms. The main problem I had was poor beading as it came from the factory, the recoil lug did not make contact with the stock. It loves 100 gr. Sierra's and IMR 4831. Took a 12 point with it last season at 350 yards and prairie dogs last summer out to 630 yards. Looking forward to trying it on Antelope soon. I have the 6.5 X 20 Leupold on it. Not a bad rig for the amount of money I have it it.
Posted By: E4E Re: Varmint load for .270 or .260? - 02/01/01
Try the sierra 85gr hp on top of Varget in the .260Rem.I use the same components in the 6.5X55 Skan for chucks.Makes a mess but shoots real well.3100fps is normal without any signs of pressure.<BR>Good luck!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!
My buddies hone stuff,in the 260,using Re-15 and the 95gr V-max.........
© 24hourcampfire