Home
Posted By: rockinbbar .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
While I was wrapping up a job out of town here this morning we saw a coyote trot out & cross the road.

You'd know it! No Rifle!! frown

Nothing but my trusty .45 ACP that rides in my console....

The coyote didn't act spooked....Who knows?

I retrieved my .45 Colt & tracked the coyote as it was going through the brush. It stepped out and hesitated as if it knew I had no rifle...(That's the evil way coyotes will taunt you in those situations, BTW....You've been there) laugh

As it hesitated, I squeezed of a round of .250 grain HydraShok .45 through the boileroom....Flop!

It didn't even kick! 65 yards...

Not as good as making several stands, & not my usual hunting garb, but it did make my day better!

Attached picture 9304-45YOTE.jpg
Posted By: derby_dude Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Ah the .45ACP. I thought of hunting 'yotes with my .45ACP glad too know it can be done. A rifle maybe better but there has got to be some satisfaction using a .45ACP. Besides it's a good way to practice.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
I put adjustable sights on mine....(It is tricked out like a Gold Cup now)

You might think I'm unconventional, but I sighted it in at 100 yards....It will put a clip through an 8" paper plate at 100 when I do my job.

I figured if it's sighted at 100, then I'm good to go at anything in between.

Sometimes I go jackrabbit hunting with it, just for practice. Not done that since summer though.
Posted By: sugarfoot Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Good shooting, anybody that can hit a paper plate at 100 yds, is a fine pistol shot.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Thanks SF,

I used to be a great pistol shot, but at age 46, my eyes are not what they used to be, & I try stick to my rifles now.

It did make me feel good to make the shot today though. smile
Posted By: sugarfoot Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
I use to practice 75 yd shooting with a 45, hitting bowling pins
and it took a lot of practice. Shooting coyotes with a regular handgun is very satisfying.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I put adjustable sights on mine....(It is tricked out like a Gold Cup now)

You might think I'm unconventional, but I sighted it in at 100 yards....It will put a clip through an 8" paper plate at 100 when I do my job.

I figured if it's sighted at 100, then I'm good to go at anything in between.

Sometimes I go jackrabbit hunting with it, just for practice. Not done that since summer though.

I never thought of sighting it in for 100 yards. Mine is a Gold Cup although it has been so modified by Wilson Combat I call it a Wilson Gold Cup.
Posted By: MOGC Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Hey, thats a fine shot with any handgun. I've killed a few with handguns, none that far. All mine were called coyotes and they aren't all that easy to hit bobbin' around in the brush. Actually, the first handgunned coyote I ever killed was with my old Colt Gold Cup .45 ACP and a handloaded 200 gr. LSWC at 1,000 fps. That'll get the job done, but I liked a 6" S&W .357 Magnum and 125 gr. hollowpoints as just about perfect for coyotes. Good shootin' ! smile
Posted By: yeselk Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Nice shot! I know what you mean about your eyes not being what they used to be. I can't shoot a pistol near as well as I used to.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/16/08
Yeah, but would the 17 hmr have worked??????

And would you have felt good about the shot?........ grin
Posted By: 2crow Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/17/08
Dandy Yote!
Posted By: GregW Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/17/08
Nice Barry...

3 days my friend. 55 rounds of 60 Vmax left...
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/18/08
Greg,

Went down South of here today. Called some territory I'd not been to yet & found out they were trapping extensively there.

Still managed to get to some familiar country about noon & called in 2 pair in a couple of hours. Put 2 of them down,....Needed a second AR on the scene....

I think it'll be good when you come. It was a tad windy today.
Posted By: GregW Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/18/08
Cool...
Looks windy for the forecast...
Give you a call in the evening sometime this week.
Posted By: JRowan Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/18/08
You know, I really like the CHEAP camo you are wearing. crazy

That is a heck of a shot with a pistol. I will have to start taking my 686 with me when I go. I dont know if I could hit a coyote with it.
Don't anybody even THINK of mentioning "SEVENTEEN ANYTHING" here.....(he was at it again in an older thread)

I'm so tired of hearing about how wonderul it is in threads that don't even pertain to it....and how evil we are cause we don't hunt elephants and rhinos with it. sleep

He may go away....?? I Hope.
I love an S&W 686....I just don't like the bark of a .357...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/19/08
The bark of a 357 is much louder than a .........
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: .45 Coyote w/pic - 02/19/08
I just couldn't stop laughing!! eek laugh
© 24hourcampfire