Home
Posted By: Seafire Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/20/09
This came thru from a forum member on another site, as he was watching a guy at his range do this...

suspending golf balls from string at 300 yds....

Anyone ever tried out their varmint practicing skills to this level?

I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea
Posted By: drover Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/21/09
We do the same thing with hen's eggs which works much better, when you hit them they make a lovely yellow mist, and there is no doubt about the hit.

drover
Posted By: stevo Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/21/09
I just would lay out 20-30 clay pigeons on the 500 & 600yd berms at the range. good cheap practice.
Posted By: GoForBroke Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/21/09
I like using charcoal brickets. They are cheap and you can either lay them flat or set them up so they are facing you. Golf balls and eggs sound good too. Great ideas, poor man's steel plates. At the range I shoot at we'll call sticks and dirt clods at extended ranges for the ultimate cheap steel plate.
Posted By: jpb Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/21/09
Like the poster before me, I like charcoal briquettes. A satisfying cloud of black smoke shows up fine during summer, and great in the winter. Since I live about 700 km from the Arctic Circle, the snow season is kind of long...

Briquettes are biodegradable with nothing to pick up too...

John

Posted By: GuyM Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/22/09
[Linked Image]

600 yards... At one of our regular club practice sessions - we put eggs in front of the target. This was a first round hit! I don't remember which rifle my buddy was using. Sometimes he uses a 6mmBR, sometimes a 6.5x284 and sometimes a .308 Win.

Whichever round he used - it was a fine hit!
Originally Posted by jpb
Like the poster before me, I like charcoal briquettes. A satisfying cloud of black smoke shows up fine during summer, and great in the winter. Since I live about 700 km from the Arctic Circle, the snow season is kind of long...

Briquettes are biodegradable with nothing to pick up too...

John

i can see you BBQ'ing out back of your IGLOO...LOL
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
Don't know about that long range stuff, but we play Wyoming Golf at our range. Each player tees a golf ball at ten yards. Players alternate shots. A "par three" means you have three shots to get the ball as far as possible downrange. Ditto for par four or five.

Wherever the ball lands, you "play it as it lies" from your original shooting position. A solid first hit might launch it 100 yards, making a tough second shot target! If it lands behind a rock, that's tough luck. For variety, allow/require players to change "clubs" for each shot: a revolver for the first shot, a .22 rifle for second, a varminter for the rest ...

Finding them for cleanup is the biggest challenge.
That's an awesome idea!
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
I like that Idea...... We always threw one golfball out there about 10-15 yards and Just shot the damn thing with 22's. That thing is hard to hit when you have 2 other people shooting at it too. Ussually end up shooting where it used to be grin
Posted By: Dakotakid Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
I like using balloons for longer ranges, a 10 inch balloon at 4 and 5 hundred yards takes the wonder if you had a hit, cheap too
Posted By: TryMe Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
Small Agg in a hurry.

LINK.

Doping 50's at the 515yd line...wind did get me.
Posted By: TryMe Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
My bad,as I forget to mention the inherent 223AI feeding woes.(grin)
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/24/09
That looked like an ostrich egg you cheater.
Posted By: Dakotakid Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/25/09
I thought only Stick could do that
Posted By: TryMe Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/25/09
Actually that was a 'squito egg,but I saw one big enough to breed a Turkey flat footed.

I've shot a jazillion eggs at the 500yd line and farther with slow twist 223AI's,so as to get minds right. I wonder how many 223AI builds those trips to the range have garnered?!!?

It'd be a heaping stack,as a minimum...though 1-8" is tough to whoop these days.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/25/09
I like to play with paint balls hot glued to piece of paper at 100 yards. Lots of fun and no mess left.
Would be a fair workout for a 22lr.
That is fantastic shooting. Are y'all using benchrest rifles or regular hunting guns?
There's numerous Factory Rifles that'll allow same.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/26/09
The guy who broke the egg is a Highpower competitor, particularly vicious in prone matches! He did that with one of his F-class prone rifles, but I don't remember which one. Heck of a shot...
Posted By: blackeye Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/27/09
Predator Masters have a yearly hunt in Globe AZ, with a shooting competition that uses eggs set on golf tees, they provide the shooting sticks, no bench allowed. The shoot starts at 100 and goes to 300 yards. This years winner got a nice AR as the prize.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/27/09
Well eggs are indeed messy and and golf balls cost to damn much money ok. So I myself like the idea of the clay birds the best and they don't smell either.
Posted By: Bend Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/27/09
Golfballs are cheap when someone else owns them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MApJnyk1PV8

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/27/09
I play golf and almost always find a lost ball or two. If it's a Nike or Titleist Pro-V1x, I'll play it. But anything else goes into my junker barrel. I have a two-gallon bucket full of 'em.
Posted By: Teal Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/27/09
Been finding a ton of Noodles lately. Can't seem to find a single Taylormade Burner ball. For all the hype I would think some duffers round here hit them.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
That's because it's a horrible ball unless you have "tour" swing speed - and control. For the average duffer, the Noodle is a MUCH better ball.

But either one is fine for Wyoming Golf! (So are those bags of "swimmers" you can buy at deep discount at most mart-marts.)
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Are YOU the guys that make the messes at my range?
I used to volunteer for range clean-up man duties for the months of January-February-March of each year.
This "volunteering" got me the indignity of cleaning up all the crap folks brought to our range and had fun shooting - it seemed like the shooters enjoyed shooting everything BUT paper targets!
I hauled off and picked up every imagineable type of electronic device including numerous TV's, refrigerators, microwaves, computers, grandfather clocks, automobile radios (lots of those!), stereo components and on and on!
Then there were the bowling ball shooters!
Bowling balls shatter into many small sharp pieces when shot with high power Rifles! Same for golf balls - seems they get shot but NEVER picked up!
And the bowling pins - those things turn to large splinters and empty plastic forms after a few dozen hits!
Pain in the rump these are to pick up.
Then there are the car part shooters"!
I have seen every imagineable car part from doors to transmissions to engine blocks shot at our range!
These are no fun to clean up!
Then there are the grocery shooters!
I have seen every imagineable piece of food shoot up at our range - including eggs, watermelons, cantaloupe, formerly frozen meats (including packages of hamburger!), chickens, turkeys, cakes, potatoes, tomatoes and various other vegetables!
Then there are the container shooters who relish shooting glass gallon jugs, glass beer bottles, glass pop bottles right along with the fill it with water, shoot it and make it explode types!
I finally had to quit that bit of volunteerism as it simply was a never ending chore.
I wish folks would not shoot ANYTHING at their ranges that is not a paper target - this includes shot shells, clay pigeons, golf balls, pieces of iron and the like!
Put up an armor gong and fire at that for effect - if need be, everything but paper targets gets splintered and pieced and makes a mess!
I know of one range in Montana that has a "dynamite shoot" and I would not like to clean up after that one - it would be like looking for unexploded land mines!
Have fun at your ranges but cleaning up of anything but paper targets is a chore that seems to always get left to someone else.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
wow
Posted By: jpb Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Varmintguy

I feel much the same, but I do like reactive targets. I found one which does not attract insects like shooting at food does, and it is also completely biodegradable.

I shoot charcoal! For uniform targets (e.g. a competition between several guys), charcoal briquettes.

For a wide range of sizes ranging from huge to too small to hit: regular charcoal.

John

Posted By: GoForBroke Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Why would you need to clean up clay targets? LOL. I agree with not shooting trash but come on. Heck paper targets make a mess also. And finding those little staples on the ground is damm hard once they hit the ground.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Our range allows any fun target except glass. People are SUPPOSED to clean up after themselves, but apparently not many of them bring their Mommy along with them.

Yes, cleanup at the end of the year is a chore.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Have only been to one range that had restrictions as to what you could shoot. And bassically it was just that they had to be on target stands. Dunno why but that annoyed me.

The closer range has restrictions on glass but everything else is good to go. Just supposed to clean up your stuff.

Probly why I shoot everywhere but the range unless absolutley necessary. I'm there to shoot. I'm going to shoot what I want to shoot at,and not to get preached to by somebody with a R.O. magnet on the side of thier truck.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Are YOU the guys that make the messes at my range?
VarmintGuy

Exactly why I like paint balls. Pull your paper targets and the paint and plastic residue goes away with the first rain. Cheaper than clay birds and again, no mess. They still give a satisfying splat when hit, provide a somewhat challenging target at a hundred yards for those who shoot at ranges where a hundred is as far as you can shoot. But that is just my opinion and my opinions are not well thought of around here.
Posted By: Teal Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/28/09
We would do clays at 100 with 22's.

As a kid every Saturday we would head to the local dump and shoot all day at everything. Best was 1/2 empty jars of food that had been cooking a bit in the sun or big old school cabinet TV tubes.

2 kids, 12 and 10 on quads with a bag full of 22 shells and Rugers slung across the back and no one paid much attention.
Posted By: killahog Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/29/09
We got bored shooting ren eggs so we started shooting golfballs, that was not much of a challenge either until we started shooting them while they were in flight.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/29/09
Over forty years ago I lived near a country club, real fancy place. I discovered I could walk through the storm sewer to an opening at the base of a hill on one of the fairways. I had a junk 410 pump shotgun. Enough said.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/29/09
Cold Case, all I got to say is that when people start talking about hitting golf balls at 300 yards with their rifles, they best have a real tack driver and some high end glass on that dimple shooter.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/30/09
Not much different than taking sage rats at 400+ yards and I have done that many times. Decent rifle well tuned to quality loads and true gun control will do the job. Oh and three more things, practice, practice, and more practice.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 04/30/09
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
That is fantastic shooting. Are y'all using benchrest rifles or regular hunting guns?

I am personally using varmint rifles... 22 calibers...
Posted By: MarkT Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 05/06/09
we've always liked shooting our .22 lr at Necco wafers.

also biodegradable
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Golf Balls at 300 yds? - 05/16/09
I shot a golf ball at 100yds, once with a .22-250. It was set on a post and the damn thing simply vanished when hit, never did find it...
© 24hourcampfire