Home
Posted By: sakoman Black Coyote - 02/02/10
[Linked Image]
Posted By: safariman Re: Black Coyote - 02/02/10
WOW! That is COOL! Nice going, for sure. Gonna do a full body mount? That or a rug at minimum is a GOT to do!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Black Coyote - 02/02/10
I have hunted and shot quite a few coyotes for the last sixty years but have never seen a black one! Congrats!
Posted By: Duckdog Re: Black Coyote - 02/03/10
Nice coyote! But, you need to give us more details! Tell us a story!
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Black Coyote - 02/03/10
The U.S Fish & Widlife Service will undoubtedly be along shortly to arrest you for shooting an endangered species... wink
Posted By: Duckdog Re: Black Coyote - 02/04/10
I guess we're not going to get a story. It seems that all of Sakoman's posts are just pictures without any words.

Blind?
No fingers?
No english?
What is it man!?
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Black Coyote - 02/04/10
language barrier I suspect.

I saw a black coyote this year, though the muzzle wasnt as dark
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Black Coyote - 02/04/10
Back in '93 I missed a very easy shot at a coyote that dark and twice the size. I've been reliving the nightmare ever since.
Posted By: elmerkeithclone Re: Black Coyote - 02/05/10
My guess is he's got some lap dog in his genes somewhere!

I killed one a couple of years ago that looked like a normal coyote except for a redish patch the size of a football on his back and he had malamute eyes!
Posted By: shootnrats Re: Black Coyote - 02/05/10
a few get shot around here like that now and then...we call them Dogyote's.....kind of cool though.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Black Coyote - 02/05/10
I think he done shot his avatar!
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Black Coyote - 02/07/10
There are black ones around here. They are usually smaller than the gray/tan ones. I got a black/charcoal gray fox bout three wks ago. He has orange trim on his legs connected by orange low on his sides. Tail is black with silver mist on the end of the fur.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Black Coyote - 02/07/10
Guys in upstate NY used to call them Coy-Dogs, but I wonder if they jsut werent Coyote.

I know that the eastern coyotes have been reported to have wolf DNA, but is there any confirmation of dog-coyote hybrids, or just Lore?
Posted By: bobkoch Re: Black Coyote - 02/07/10
They are right they are coy-dogs they are coyote cross with dogs.thats real common now. I was bowhunting down in southern iowa and i saw a black two tone color coyote and he was a little bigger than a pure bred coyote. but could tell the way he was running and acting like a coyote he was a coy-dog.
Posted By: elmerkeithclone Re: Black Coyote - 02/07/10
I shot a dark one just this morning. Though not near as dark as the original posters the dog in it is evident!
Posted By: bobkoch Re: Black Coyote - 02/09/10
I am from iowa i live in minneasota now i have land in iowa that i coyote on. I am going to retire next year so if you ever want to do a little coyote hunting together. let me know were do you live in iowa, i live in ramsey mn, bob koch
Posted By: Allstar Re: Black Coyote - 02/15/10
Blacks are pretty common east of the MS. They are not coydogs but just a dark phase. I've seen 4 in about 10 years here in central AR. Never gotten a shot though.
Posted By: rong Re: Black Coyote - 02/17/10
missed one similar to that a few years ago with my bow,sick for days over it shot right under its belly,congrats on a nice trophy
Posted By: jagdgewehr Re: Black Coyote - 02/25/10
I'm pretty sure your are talking about melanistic phase animals. I'm no expert, but it's caused by the melanin content in the skin(like skin pigment). I've seen a melanistic squirrel but never a black coyote. Anyways, pretty cool.
Posted By: arkrunner Re: Black Coyote - 02/25/10
I shot one several years ago tried to sale the pelt and was told it was a coydog by the fur buyer. Said the fur texture was differnt any one heard of this . I have the hide tanned with the hair on made a nice rug. thanks elton
Posted By: Outcast Re: Black Coyote - 03/01/10
sak..,

Killed two black ones just like yours about 6yrs ago here in westbuhgawd. wasn't sure they were 'yotes. A govt hunter from the dept. of agriculture confirmed they were. said he'd seen them from black to white and everything in between. his advice was "shoot'em all'.

O
© 24hourcampfire