Home
Posted By: deflave Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/08/10
I'm still not sure how I left the store with this thing. It's a Magnum Research 17/22. Or something like that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoots well enough. 50yds with a stiff right to left wind. It's a 1" dot:

[Linked Image]
The black diamond is 1/2". 5 shots. Still windy:
[Linked Image]

Been wanting to try the Mach 2. She may prove to be a suitable gopher/jack-bunny rig. This thing is very light. Shot about 20 rounds offhand after the grouping/sighting in BS. Pretty hard to miss with this thing. It's very comfortable to shoot.

That scope is just an old (but very relieable) Simmons 3-9X. If I hang on to this one I see a straight 12X or 10X in it's future. Any suggestions on glass are welcome of course. I'm not much of a rimfire guru.

Travis
The yellow sucked you in.

Huh, a gun that's ugly enough to shoot good.
Ha! I'd be calling John Deer asap for a sponsorship wink

On a more serious note, looks like you got a shooter there.

I would take a look at a Leupold 6x36 or Weaver 6x38 but hey it looks like that Simmons is treating you pretty well too.

Brett (Mac)
There's also a pretty nice 4-12x40 VX-I in the classifieds that could do well on on your new toy.

Brett (Mac)
I was impressed with a Diamondback 4 x 12 I saw on a Guys AR at the range today...

I may follow up on one of those...

that would fit your John Deere Green rimfire
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The yellow sucked you in.

That's partially true. The guy behind the counter said I was the first guy that didn't puke when he took it out of the box.

Travis
That VX-I wouldn't be bad but I think I'm going to want an AO and a very fine crosshair on this one.

Probably won't drop more than $200.00 either. Or I may hold off and get something crazy for it down the road. I have a 6X36 Leupold I could throw on it but I want some XXX's.

Wishing that I hadn't sold my 6-20X Grand Slam...

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/08/10
Doooooood...that is fugly....

But my next gopher gun won't be much better....I learned the gophers don't care what the Horsemen of the Apocalypse are shooting.... wink

Actually looks like a fun gun...good for "rolling in hot..." grin

Ingwe
Will let you know soon sir.

Old man winter can't hold on forever. I'll bet I'm shooting gophers by August. grin

One thing that is really nice about it is it moves around in the vehicle really well. Nice and short.

Travis
OUCH!!!! My eyes!!!!!

Glad it shoots good. Maybe sorta like marrying a fat Navaho (Ken Howell reference) that can cook good, eh?

A gopher death ray, for certain.
Ugly is as ugly does! grin

Travis
Dang that thing is ugly but if it shoots who cares. Looks light.
Right @ 5 1/2lbs with that ridiculously heavy Simmons on top. Wish I weighed it before I mounted the scope.

I like gaudy schit, but damn. Every time I walk past this thing I have to laugh.

Travis
Why did I buy This?

Because somebody has to.
You love it...

Travis
Like a splinter under my fingernail. grin
[Linked Image]

Do they make one in Versatile Red?
Bing-n-Bobs have that WOW ,nice shooooter
Yes sir!

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/11/10
I'm worried....

Ingwe
About?

Travis
Welllll, now that you ask...

Alot of things.....

It all started when i was a child...

My parents didn't love me enough....

smirk
Ingwe
I think this rifle was feeling the same whilst sitting on the shelf. I "rescued" it.

Damn, did this thing get uglier since I bought it?

Travis
Give it "sweet love"...and it'll still be ugly...but I'll bet that fugger will shoot for you!

Ingwe
She shoots...

This little bastid was scurrying along a fence line. "Pop...pop...pop... while he was runnin'. Fun stuff.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Cooooool.... cool

Tough to get a badger to stop with a .22...regardless of how much you shoot him....

First blood..?

Ingwe
Hmmm, this poses a good question for the Grand Poobah...

Do gophers count as first blood? If so, this is its umm....about... 78th blood. grin

He was at a crawl after the first two shots. But the last one anchored him solid.

Lovin' this Mach II.

Travis
Prolly won't have to worry about over penetration either.
Originally Posted by deflave

Do gophers count as first blood? If so, this is its umm....about... 78th blood. grin

Travis

Of course gophers count!

Are ya' new here...? grin

Ingwe
Posted By: carlm Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/12/10
That would make an excellent night hunting rig.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Prolly won't have to worry about over penetration either.

Definitely not! Tried to knock down a double the other day and it no worky-worky. First dog just flew over the second dog. grin

Travis
Originally Posted by ingwe

Travis

Of course gophers count!

Are ya' new here...? grin

Ingwe

Hmmm, may have to "bloody" my 7-08 this afternoon...

Travis
Originally Posted by carlm
That would make an excellent night hunting rig.

Hell yeah! If it falls out the truck window she'll be easy to find. grin

It will definitely see duty as a jack rabbit slayer this winter.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/12/10
Travis..I "bloodied" my 7x57 on a few gophs..... grin

And speaking of jackrabbits in your country, when I lived up there, back in the day, we used to sneak across the border into Canada and.....well...nevermind..... whistle

shocked
Ingwe
Tsk, tsk, tsk,.... grin

When you shoot Canadian bunnies do they squeal with an accent?

Travis
Posted By: carlm Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/12/10
'cause she was so ugly you felt sorry for her.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/12/10
Tsk, tsk, tsk,.... grin

Travis

For one thing, they didn't have dynamic personnel on Border Patrol back in the day.... grin

For another...the bunnies didn't have much of an accent..but they ended every sentence with " 'eh "...as in " You got me..'eh! " grin

Ingwe
Posted By: eh76 Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/12/10
Nice rifle Travis! I like it!
Deflave: I really kind of like the looks of your nifty new Rifle and am hoping to warm up to the colors of it soon.
It sure shoots well though.
Good for you on the new rig and congrats on the nifty Badger kill!
I am, though, confused as to what caliber your Rifle IS?
Could you straighten me out on that please.
I got my first Badger of the season last week - I used my tried and true Ruger 77/17 V/T on this big Boar Badger.
I have had several scopes on my Ruger 77/17 V/T (in 17 HMR) since I got it new back in February of 2,003.
Including a Weaver KT-15 (straight 15 power), a Leupold 4x12 with A/O and now a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable).
The Weaver V-16 will be on this Rifle til death do us part!
It is simply PERFECTLY matched to the abilities of the 17 HMR cartridge and to my all around Varminting needs.
Wishing you continued good luck with the Magnum Research Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Funny thing VG. Those are the exact three scopes I've been contemplating for this thing. I'm thinking the 4X12 more than others. I'm gonna rat hole some cash and keep an eye on the classifieds...

It is a 17 Mach 2.

Travis
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tsk, tsk, tsk,.... grin

Travis

For one thing, they didn't have dynamic personnel on Border Patrol back in the day.... grin

For another...the bunnies didn't have much of an accent..but they ended every sentence with " 'eh "...as in " You got me..'eh! " grin

Ingwe

Which is not to be confused with the American "Fuggin'-A". Just a little FYI for those that don't speak Canadien. grin

Travis
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Nice rifle Travis! I like it!

That makes two!

Travis
Posted By: cdi23 Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/13/10
[quote=deflave]I'm still not sure how I left the store with this thing. It's a Magnum Research 17/22. Or something like that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You wouldn't even need ammo with that. The squirrels would just fall out of the trees laughing!
OK, sorry, just had to say it.

Same thing my buddy said about the badger. "Did you just hold it above his head and watch him die?" cry

Travis
I just got the same gun with a blue stock in 22lr, I can't wait to shoot it.
Let us know how it does. I'm curious if the LR's shoot as well as this thing.

Travis
The colors lead me to believe you have a Green Bay packer Fetish.
Bears fan actually. Makes it even more painful... cry

Travis
Posted By: AJD Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/14/10
One things fer sure, you don't have to worry about marring the finish if you do drop it out of the truck window. smile

Nice shooting.
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Do they make one in Versatile Red?

Now you're talkin'!

But I actually think the green looks good Travis!
Thanks Sam.

The same shop got in about five more and sold three. The red ones sell quick from what they told me.

Travis
Right on, you better take some trophy pics this afternoon!
I'd say that must have been one hell of a salesman behind the gun counter...at least he ain't selling used cars.

He didn't like the bigger stock on the "John Deere" rifle so he stuck to "Ol' Blue".

[Linked Image]

Always fun shootin' with the boy.
[Linked Image]

Travis
Yowza! I didn't know John Deere was in the rifle makin' biz. grin

Congrats on the new toy. Looks fun to me...
Posted By: SKane Re: Why Did I Buy This?? (pics) - 05/28/10
Travis-

Green/gold......'Bout time you come to your senses. grin
What sucked you in is the "I have gotta have that" mentality. I get it now and again. Most are guilty of this mind set. So, enjoy it and give the varmints hell with it.
Originally Posted by SKane
Travis-

Green/gold......'Bout time you come to your senses. grin

DOOOOH!!!

Travis
Originally Posted by MTGunner
What sucked you in is the "I have gotta have that" mentality. I get it now and again. Most are guilty of this mind set. So, enjoy it and give the varmints hell with it.

They ain't diggin' it! grin

Travis
Just get another handle: I hate those Evolution stocks. Although I see the receiver is green too. Dude ...
Honestly, that stock is crazy comfortable to shoot. HIdeous, but very useful. She'll be staying as is. The more critters I kill with this thing the more I love it.

Doubting it will be going anywhere.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire