Home
Building a lite weight 6-7lb #3contour varmint rifle in .243. What barrel length you prefer shooting out to 300yrds for coyote? Bullet weight 70-90 grains.
What are the rest of the specs? For me it'd be between 21 and 23 inches.
Mnt rifle, Rem 700 action. 3x9 scope. Im thinking 21 or 22"?
21" for me on a #3

Dober
My coyote specials all have 22 inchers.

A couple of them usta be 25's, but got circumcised to 22".
21 for me
Mine is 24" and I don't see a need to change it, but 22" is probably just as good.
ya know, I am becoming a big fan of the concept of a varmint rifle for that kind of work having a heavy barrel with a length of about 18 to 20 inches...

just like those police tactical rigs that are selling real well..

plus a stock with a 12.5 inch length of pull instead of the standard 13.5 inch length of pull...

the shorter barrel may not deliver top velocity, but at the same time... how far are most of your shots being taken at????

a SHORT heavy barrel, and a 4.5 x 14 scope with a wide field of view....can easily cover a 300 yd point blank range...

portability and maneuverability are more important than max velocity...
I'd go 21. Have a similar build in 250ai...and depending on who's #3 you are using you are going to be closer to 7.
Those short barrel 243's are loud! I had a 20" and it sure rang my bell! I shoot 24" standard sporters now, never know the difference with the exception of muzzle blast!

I built a couple of 6/250's and it dropped the powder charge 10+g which was even nicer.
22" will be a nice length on a calling stand or plunking varmints.
I'd go 20" on a rig like that, as I think the #3 contour is going to make it a bit heavier than you think.

I'd use the heavier end of the bullet spectrum, and a slightly "too fast" powder (such as Varget) to keep the powder charge lower. That would give you decent velocity but keep the muzzle blast and recoil down a bit more. It'll cover you to 300 yards easy.
22 to 24 inch with the 243 Win. My Pac Nor Barrel Montana i had cut to 24 inch
Just got a chance to clock my .243..24 in Bbl..80 gr TTSX @3420fps..

I vote for 24 " ! laugh

Ingwe
Too late.....

It's cut, crowned, and shipped. whistle
My Tikka T-3 has an odd barrel length - a bit over 22 inches, I believe. It works fine and is a real lightweight. It also shoots under a half-inch with 70 gr Blitzkings over Varget.
© 24hourcampfire