Home
Posted By: GlennGTR 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/13/10
Looking for experience on game with this round in 223 rem. Mostly for predators, coyote, cougar, badger,bobcat, cougar,small hogs,
Posted By: ACLakey Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/17/10
I am working on load development right now, hope to have more information to report soon.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/17/10
Working on the same bullet weight but in a 22.250 this week..fast twist barrel.

for the 223, I use mid range powders...

4064, IMR 4895, Varget, RL 15, W 748, BLC2, AA 2520 to name a few..

the fastest velocity in a 22.250 with that bullet weight is surprisingly good ol IMR 4895 or IMR 4064...
Shot a couple of coyotes with em in a 223. Both dropped where I shot em. One at 100 yards one at 205. Didn't get out to see what kinda damge the bullet did, but it put em down fast.
Love that bullet on Game,whether SAAMI 223,223AI,224Wby,22-250,22-250AI,CHeetah or Swift.

Hint.............
Posted By: Evan Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/18/10
i think all the 22s from 223 up r realy cool 75gr bullet pushers.
Have never shot the 75A-Max in anything smaller than a 223 or bigger than a CHeetah,so cain't really quantify that...though I'm hip on the notion in general.............
Anyone have experience on deerwith em? Pass throughs on lung shots?
Depends upon impact velocity and the size of the 'cage.

Have killed alotta Bucks dead however and will prolly add to the fray,come morning.

75BTHP

[Linked Image]

75A-Max

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

75 Scirocco II

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'................
Nice pics, I really wanna hunt those deer
one day. As Steelhead noted in another post those deer have much thicker hides and way more fat on em than our southern deer here. I'm sure the amax would get the job done. I'm gonna try sciroccos with the same load data as the amax and see what I come up with. The amaxes are shooting great though.
If they sucked,I'd not shoot 'em and they certainly do not.(hint)

The 75 S2's far greater bearing surface,do make more pressure than the 75A-Max,when talking like powder charges...so tread lightly there.

Rehint.................
Originally Posted by Palmetto
Nice pics, I really wanna hunt those deer
one day. As Steelhead noted in another post those deer have much thicker hides and way more fat on em than our southern deer here. I'm sure the amax would get the job done. I'm gonna try sciroccos with the same load data as the amax and see what I come up with. The amaxes are shooting great though.

A bearing surface glimpse,from left to right:

50V-Max,75 Hornie BTHP,75 S2,75 A-Max...............

[Linked Image]
What kind of twist do you have to run in a '250 to stabilize the 75 AMax?
1-8".

Is where you wanna be................
So I guess the factory 1-12" ain't gonna work, eh? <grin>

Might have to look for a new barrel with a bit quicker twist if I'm gonna get serious about runnin' that bullet through the gun...
ONLY move you've got.............
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/25/10
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
So I guess the factory 1-12" ain't gonna work, eh? <grin>

Might have to look for a new barrel with a bit quicker twist if I'm gonna get serious about runnin' that bullet through the gun...

The heaviest bullet I've been able to stabilize in a 1-12 .223 barrel is the Nosler 69gr HPBT Match. Not in the same league as the 75Amax though.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/25/10
I shot a 68 gr. BTHP match in a heavy bbl 1 in 12 and got it to shoot easily and well.
That said, it mighta been a fluke shocked
I'm not quite the tight twist aficionado some here are...but in this case, I think its a pretty safe( ...sure..?...) bet.....
Bearing surface looks about same to me. I called the factory a few months back about the 75 S2's and at that time they had NEVER done any testing on the 224 bullet and said they were going to before they released their next manual.
Some of the guys at the factory had shot em in their personal rifles, but were reluctant to give me much data. I'm just gonna work up real lightly with my amax data I guess. I have 150 of em so Im gonna try emfor sure.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/26/10
Originally Posted by Palmetto
Bearing surface looks about same to me..........

.....................I'm just gonna work up real lightly with my amax data I guess.

Eyes differ, but the bearing surfaces look VERY different to mine. I'd start a might bit lower than your Amax data.
Posted By: TWR Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/26/10
Me too, looks like almost half again as much.
Yeah I guess with the boat tail on it it does take a bunch of bearing surface away.
Side note-

I see what looks like an R-15. I am just getting into the AR world, but I already took the step with a 21" 223AI in the 8".

Heard that you cannot run a 75 Amax out of an AR due to magazine OAL. Little help? Would be nice to buy a half ton of Amaxes and have a blast.
Posted By: SeanD Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 11/27/10
Anyone run them in a 1-9?
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Side note-

I see what looks like an R-15. I am just getting into the AR world, but I already took the step with a 21" 223AI in the 8".

Heard that you cannot run a 75 Amax out of an AR due to magazine OAL. Little help? Would be nice to buy a half ton of Amaxes and have a blast.

In a SLED mag you can,but MilSpec confines slam doors on the 75 A-Max and by a landslide.

The 75BTHP Hornie and it's .390 BC rate a thunk.

Hint.............

Originally Posted by SeanD
Anyone run them in a 1-9?

I do,in 223AI and 22-250AI,which do increase the RPM over SAAMI specs.

1-8" is whatcha wanna buy,1-9" is what you gotta TRY(if so maligned).......(grin)
I run em only in a 1 in 7", but my current ar build is a 1 in 7" as well. Planning on using 77 smk's and 62 tsx's in that gun pretty much exclusively.
A 1-9" 18" AR makes the 62TSX very happy.

I hate all SMK's.................
Got some more amax kills in the last couple of
days. One WT doe at 180 yards in brain and two really big coyotes one broadside at 150 or so hit ribs and got a nice exit dropped him. Second was trotting broadside and I hit his hips and got an exit. Busted him up pretty bad! I think they'll do well on WT rib shots.
I have a load in Lapua brass with 24.4 grains of RL 15 at 2.450 oal, with rem 7.5's. It's holding 1/2" groups at 100.
A 2.450" 75 A-Max kiss,is a nice throat arrangement,that'll do it all.

The 75A-Max,squarely rates having a rifle built around it.............
I agree Big Stick. I'll never go slower than 1 in 7" again on a 22. Stacks 55 vmaxes one on top of the other and will shoot anything up to 80 I've tried in it. I hate looking at factory 22 cf rifles now. None of them will shoot a 75 amax.
the Savage LRPV(what I have)will. I run nothing but the 75 AMax's out of the 22-250 1-9"...that 250 is a whole diffrent animal with the 75's very cool factor
Posted By: Dearole Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 12/16/10
I think the Nostler 60 grain partition is the best for deer. Powder H335 at 3200 fps.
Posted By: LBP Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 12/16/10
I'll vote for the Nosler too from my experience. But, you sure can't argue with Stick's success with the A-Max, I might have to give it a try too.
Originally Posted by WDGIBSON
I think the Nostler 60 grain partition is the best for deer. Powder H335 at 3200 fps.

1) it's Nosler.

2) have ya tried the 75s? Or, any of the TSXs?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If they sucked,I'd not shoot 'em and they certainly do not.(hint)

Classic.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 12/16/10
For the fella who asked 1-9; run them from a Mag Deuce with one hole accuracy, appreciated more as range gets far longer than 100yards for certain over the 69 overruns it eats more regularly.

As far as the Nosler 60 Party (or BT for that matter), never met a gun that ate either over a Barnes or Hornady or Sierra of similar weights.

The 62 TSX for deer sized critters, so far, has been impeccable and the 60 Party has never shot better than a 45/70 at a hundred, let alone a 224, to get much respect.
FWIW, Barnes is rumored (strongly, and well) to be coming out with a higher BC 50 grain and 60 grain TTSX very, very soon.

I'm looking foward to trying the 62g tsx's out
You still have that .257Roy? That damned thing was a lightning bolt, and WAY overpressure, but damn... did it kill stuff RIGHT now.
Originally Posted by WDGIBSON

You're halfway there...you got the powder right...............
nope..just got the model 12 lrpv switch barrel(22-250,6.5x47L,7-08),375 ruger alaskan..couple other toys. rebuilding stock pile these days.
I've never had a gun shoot the 60 partitions worth a crap. About 5-6 different 22's that should have shot em, as they were all twisted just fine for a 60. Some shot 4-6" groups. Think the the best I've ever done is 1.5" or so.
But they do put a deer down quick and make big fat exit holes if you can get em to shoot.
64PP's trump 'em in all regards,for half the loot..............
I have had the 64's shoot better in most rifles. And they do as good a job dropping WT deer as the 60 partitions for sure. Nothing like a TSX and from what I've seen of the Amax in the last few weeks it's a hammer out to 300 yards.
Shot my biggest coyote in a while at just over 300 last night. Shot for a further back rib shot and it nearly bust him in half coming out the other side. Hit about 4th rib forward from back slightly quartering towards me trying not bust him up to bad. His liver and lots of other "stuff" were hanging oout of a 6" hole on the other side. He was right at 40 lbs.
Will try for a bigger deer this PM and post results w Amax.
Tough for me not to launch the A-Max at everything...so I do just that.......................
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Side note-

Assuming the AR's throat is set up for it u can use one of these if u can find them (old DPMS VLD magazine...and special bolt stop that allows for 2.460 OAL)--

[Linked Image]
Got out again the day after my last coyote kill and got to put an amax in something a little larger. Shot a 3.5 yo 8 Pt, definately a cull buck. Range was 150-175 yds about a 175 lb buck.
Bullet was double lung good pass through. Not a big exit hole looks like the bullet broke up a little as the exit hole looked like multiple pieces came through. But the deer ran about 100 yards. Not much of a blood trail at all, but it was a higher lung shot.
I'm liking them more and more now!
Also did some major damage to a couple of does yesterday with 85 grain TSX out of my 6.8. Really capable combo. And got to see a 62 TSX out a 223 AI take a big doe out pretty quick.
Only thing I'm noticing on these 223 deer kills in the last few years is that there isn't gonna be much if any of a blood trail if shot high in lungs. I'm gonna keep my shots a little lower and try and get the heart from here on out with the 223.
I don't shoot anything in the lungs,except mebbe Cats...............

I'm not quite sold on punching shoulders with the Amax just yet and at 150-200 yards shooting from field positions the heart of most of the deer I shoot ain't much of a target and can often be blocked by bone from the shouilder joint depending on angle. If I have a good enough rest to know I'm gonna drill their heart I'd just as soon blow a hole in their brain. Anything that hits em spine and lower from the diaphragm forward oughta kill em (eventually). In the cover we hunt in the brush and palmettos are higher than your head and most years water can be knee high in most spots. If they don't drop on the spot you best be paying attention to where they go. I'll keep being happy if both the lungs are shot out.
I'll put one through the shoulder at 100 or over this afternoon or tomorrow and see what the amax can do.
.177 cal pellets at 1,000 fps on cat lungs can take a long time....but it's usually best they run some distance from the scene
I ain't guessing.

Hint...............(grin)
what is a good load for a 223 rem for groundhogscoyotes foxes deer the turkey i want an all around good load.any ideas or experience??
what?
A very large "what",at that!...............
75 Amax in a 1/8 .223 AI is pretty much 'yote and crow killing nirvana. Haven't applied them to deer yet but I'll get around to it some time.

Someone asked about the 75 Amax in an AR. I've clipped the tip and run them in mil-mags on a 1/8 twist. They shot well but it's hard for me to leave the bolt when I want to let a little blood. They'll will work with a clipped tip until your BTHP's arrive...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: x2mosg Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 02/09/11
I run the 75gr. Amax and 70gr. TSX out of my '250 with an 8 twist. Haven't killed anything with the Amax yet, but hope to resolve that this weekend. The 70gr. TSX blew through a 100lb. doe at the end of last season and did her DRT. Was a center shoulder shot, far side, and back edge near side. She hit her haunches, rolled backwards and kicked twice. Bout 80yds.

[Linked Image]

Entry
[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

Ribs
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

David
The 75A-Max rates building a rifle around..................
So will the 75gr Amax stabilize in a1-9?
What chambering?..............
Sorry tard moment. Standard 223
Chances are very good,that it will not...assuming a true 9"................
Posted By: x2mosg Re: 75 grain A-Max in 223 rem? - 02/18/11
Got with the 8" twist, or even 7". You're not gonna push it so fast with a .223 to create bullet failure, I don't think. You can stabilize a short bullet with a fast twist, but not a long bullet with a slow twist. That was the advice I was given. Only warning was using really lightly constructed bullets under 60gr. in the 22-250 in the 8" twist or faster. Good bullets, no problems.
© 24hourcampfire