Home
Posted By: Dekker Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
I just saw an ad for the Hornady 17 Hornet. It looks simlar to the 17AH.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
Uh-oh...... laugh
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
dammit. another encore barrel...
I've been waiting for this.

I'll take one in a CZ please.

I read 3650 with a 20 grain pill.

Very nice.
Posted By: Partagas Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
where did you guys see this? I haven't seen anything on hornady's site. I would think they would be joining forces with a firearms manufacturer?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
They will pair of with Ruger first...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/28/11
dat's the way I'd roll, anyway......
Posted By: Winnie Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
Great.... Now I have another caliber to add to my wish list.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
The 17 Hornet is actually a very old wildcat right?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
Cool! How long 'til the Poobah AI's it? laugh
Or would that be "K" it? grin

Ed
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
Got to get it first..... whistle
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
Terry Wieland has an article on this in the latest Rifle magazine. In it he states, "The new Hornady round is the blown-out K-Hornet necked down to .17, and loaded with a 20 gr bullet". The photograph shows a 5mm Remington, a .17 HMR, a .22 K-hornet and a new .17 hornet. The shoulder on the 17 looks to be pushed back in order to keep the same neck length, and the angle doesn't appear as sharp to my eye. I guess we'll see.....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
I didn't really need another pest rifle.....but Ruger stainless/laminate here we come,,,,(grin)
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
"The new Hornady round is the blown-out K-Hornet necked down to .17, and loaded with a 20 gr bullet".

Kaiser Norton

Thanks for the info..doesn't look like I'll have to AI it.... whistle
Originally Posted by Partagas
where did you guys see this? I haven't seen anything on hornady's site. I would think they would be joining forces with a firearms manufacturer?

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?76382-Hornady-s-New-17-Hornet

This is where I first heard about it. I'm a fan of the 17s and the 22 hornet. This one should be fun.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
I guess Ruger passed on it cause they're teaming with Salvage.

Pete
Posted By: Con Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/29/11
My understanding where that Savage and Ruger have signed up on it. Prototype rifles by Savage were alledgedly used to test the round. I'm personally interested in it, perhaps in a CZ527 or a Martini Cadet ... but I'll wait and see what specs are released then look at ordering a no-turn but tight necked reamer. Being able to fall back on factory ammunition is a major advantage.
Cheers...
Con
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by Savuti

Pete

I think I will slash my wrists now.....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

Pete

I think I will slash my wrists now.....

Ingwe, wouldn't a barrel from Green Mountain for a 17 HMR be easily reamed out for the 17 Hornet and put on a Ruger 22 Hornet action?

I've only fondled a Savage 25 once and thought it was chinzey to say the least... however one in a 22 Hornet with a switch barrel to a 17 Hornet, wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing...
of course make the 22 Hornet a K Hornet...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
You are a bad influence.... whistle
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
a 77/22 17 hornet will find it's way into my home!!!
Posted By: HawkI Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
Oh goodie, another rimfire actioned Hornet.....
Posted By: Con Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by Seafire
Ingwe, wouldn't a barrel from Green Mountain for a 17 HMR be easily reamed out for the 17 Hornet and put on a Ruger 22 Hornet action?

We dont get Green Mountain barrels over here ... but there may be a private importation coming to which I've put my name on one 17cal barrel. Plan is to then have it screwed onto a Zastava 22Hornet action, otherwise it can go onto a Martini Cadet.

Personally I agree with the sentiments that its a ho-hum cartridge if chambered on a glorified rimfire action. Bring out a CZ527!
Cheers...
Con
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
Waiting for the Ruger target version on this one; can't see a Savage coming home with me.

Is there any way to make a Ruger 22 Hornet into an easy switch barrel?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/30/11
You are a bad influence.... whistle

My wife tells me that daily! cool
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/31/11
I had a 17Ackley Hornet. I wouldnt give two squirts of piss for another HMR (got one)but a 20grn 17Cal bullet at 3800fps is truely amazing. All the 17Ahs I have played with have been freakishly accurate. Not PPC stuff but way better than a hornet should shoot. Rugers big chance to get the 77/22Hornet right. Got my fingers crossed. Dont rule out Cooper. Be sweet if they make a repeater on a hornet case.
Posted By: ACLakey Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/31/11
I have been looking for a 77/22 hornet for a while to make a 17 Ackley Hornet. I may hold off a bit to see what other rifle offerings come about.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/31/11
Oh schit...

Yep, I'll be buying one.

Travis
Posted By: HOGGHEAD Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 10/31/11
I sure hope Ruger makes one. A Ruger #1 in that cartridge will be a real dandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am definitely going to get me a 17 Hornet. The money is already put away. I just hope Savage is not the only rifle manufacturer. It looks like it might be in their Model 25, and that is one ugly rifle IMO. So let's hope Ruger or someone else comes through. I am pretty sure Ruger is bringing out the 17HMR in a left hand model. But I figure the new 17 Hornet in a lefty would be too much to ask. But I guarantee I would buy one. Tom.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/01/11
Well, all you Savage haters, for me Savage picking it up might be a benefit, since Savage caters to us lefties and many others do not. We'll see what happens, and who jumps on the bandwagon. I might have to have one, but it'll be dependent on a lefty variant being available. If CZ had come out with the .17 Fireball in a lefty variant, I woulda been all over it, but they didn't.
Posted By: HOGGHEAD Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/01/11

Pete

What is your source saying that Ruger passed?? Tom.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/02/11
I was content looking for a regular Hornet, now this!
Posted By: Mulerider Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/02/11
A good day with my 17AH...
[Linked Image]
A great day with my 17AH...
[Linked Image]

It's a CZ527 with a PacNor barrel. Load is a 20gr Vmax over 1680 powder, with a MV of 3820fps. Extremely flat out to 250yd-ish.
One great thing about Hornady retailing the 17Hornet will be dies and brass. Dies for the 17AH are ridiculously expensive.
How close Hornady clones the 17AH is to be seen.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/02/11
If CZ chambers the American or Varmint for it you better believe I'll be in line for one
Posted By: elecgun Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/04/11
I've been following this for a little while. Would love to have a Ruger 77/17 Hornet. Current cartridge info up on Hornady's website for those interested. hornady.com
Scott
Posted By: Mulerider Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/04/11
Lots of discussion and some photos of the cartridge over at http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

The info on the Hornady site confirmed it is a 25 deg shoulder, with a slightly longer neck than the 17AH.
Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

I'm starting to get excited.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/05/11

The news of a factory .17 Hornet is good to hear.

I have a Ruger SS in .17 Ackley Improved, so it MIGHT be possible for the Hornady Hornet ammo to be shot (and fire-formed) in my rifle. These should headspace on the rims. . . .I sure hope so.

The .17 HMR is great and the .17 Ackley Hornet is superb. As long as Hornady uses the same basic case dimensions, this sounds like a good thing.
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/06/11
Originally Posted by Mulerider
A good day with my 17AH...
[Linked Image]
A great day with my 17AH...
[Linked Image]

It's a CZ527 with a PacNor barrel. Load is a 20gr Vmax over 1680 powder, with a MV of 3820fps. Extremely flat out to 250yd-ish.
One great thing about Hornady retailing the 17Hornet will be dies and brass. Dies for the 17AH are ridiculously expensive.
How close Hornady clones the 17AH is to be seen.

whats your secret? with the crows?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/06/11
Not missing....I reckon
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/06/11
grin
Posted By: Mulerider Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/08/11
[quote=Brett_McMurray
whats your secret? with the crows?[/quote]

A FoxPro caller w/remote and angry crows. I setup 200yds away (17AH zero), and rotate between "crow party", "crow fight", and "injured crow" (mainly the second two once a few are on the ground/hung in the brush).
Camo'ed up and mouth calls usually would result in a third of what the FoxPro does for me. Results vary...mainly on how aggresive the crows are.
It sort of feels like cheating...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/08/11
They will pair of with Ruger first...

I'd love one in a #1V.
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/08/11
Originally Posted by Mulerider
Originally Posted by Brett_McMurray

whats your secret? with the crows?

A FoxPro caller w/remote and angry crows. I setup 200yds away (17AH zero), and rotate between "crow party", "crow fight", and "injured crow" (mainly the second two once a few are on the ground/hung in the brush).
Camo'ed up and mouth calls usually would result in a third of what the FoxPro does for me. Results vary...mainly on how aggresive the crows are.
It sort of feels like cheating...

thanks
Posted By: PepeLp Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/10/11
I need Ruger to put this in a carbine like their 77/.357. Compact, 5.5 pounds, perfect for calling.
Posted By: sscoyote Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/23/11
You rifle guys...jeez! Sounds like i might have to have a new barrel on an old XP-100.
Posted By: spr1 Re: Hornady 17 Hornet - 11/23/11
I need a ruger in this caliber
© 24hourcampfire