Home
Looking for the good and the bad on this rifle. Any members using one ?

Going to be my new critter getter.

Ken
Got one.

Boringly accurate...Ive shot everything from 50-68 grainers in it...it likes them all...

lots of tikka detractors here, but I havent figured out why yet....
I just got one 2 weeks ago. Killed a buck with it last week. As soon as my dies show up I will be putting it through the paces smile

Even with factory 64 gr powerpoints it was holding just under an inch.
Yep, agreed..shoots 40 maxes as good as my Remington VS. Sold the Remington and am looking for another tikka.
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I have one headed my way. Will run it and see what happens. I'm kinda hung-up on the Winchester 64grPP.

Ken
Originally Posted by ingwe
Got one.

lots of tikka detractors here, but I havent figured out why yet....

I have noticed the same thing. I love the Tikkas myself.

I think most of the detractors have never shot or used one, get way too hung up on the cosmetic appearance stuff, pay too much attention to what they read from the "experts" on the Internet, or are just plain embarrassed and jealous that the Tikkas will shoot just as well or in many cases much better than their custom rigs that cost three to five times as much.
I got one coming also (wood stocked). I think I am going to run TSX's out of it, the 62 grain version.
Originally Posted by firearms44
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I have one headed my way. Will run it and see what happens. I'm kinda hung-up on the Winchester 64grPP.

Ken

I love that bullet. Just ordered 500 more.
I have been playing with my T-3 Lite S/S.
My gun seems very picky on bullets.
So far it is crazy accurate with 55gn Sierra Spitzers & H-335 shocked
How does 1/4" average sound if I do my part!
And with nothing more than 12x on the scope high end.

Only downfall is it's a pain to single load thru the port & the mag is to short to accomadate long A-Max type bullets frown
senior,

A member here on the fire did a step by step instruction with pictures on how he modified his mag for longer bullets.

I can't recall his user-name or what thread he posted it on. Maybe someone will chime in. I like his modification and it looks easy.

Ken
Rancho loco..
Thanks. Looked like a pretty easy task.

Ken
I have a stainless version. It is a true stunner in the accuracy department.

I have let a couple of guy shoot it who got disgusted with their own heavy barreled rugers and remingtons when the skinny tubed Tikka outperformed em.

52 grain sierra matchking
25 grains H335
Load them to mag length so they can be shot in theARs as well.

Kills dogs dead:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mackay,

What scope mounts are you using ? I read that the factory mount were junk / cheap.

Nice Dogs !! Dead !! Good advice so I can use the ammo in my DPMS

Ken
The "junk" ones....

Actually it is the screws that are a bit soft.

For anything other than a .223 I prefer to use Talley Liteweights.

But Tacoma Screw ( I went into my local store)has replacement screws. I just do not remember the #. They work perfectly with the factory rings.
Mackay...too bad we cant get someone with some real experience with Tikkas to chime in....you know...for the naysayers... grin

Ill bet those plastic magazines and bolt shrouds just shatter when you take them out in the cold like that.... whistle
senior,

A member here on the fire did a step by step instruction with pictures on how he modified his mag for longer bullets.

I can't recall his user-name or what thread he posted it on. Maybe someone will chime in. I like his modification and it looks easy.

Ken

I've been wanting to do this to my ss varmint model for some time now. It's an absolute laser of a rifle and shoots all I've put through it exceptionally well (55 vmax, 60 vmax, 50 SBKs and 69 SMKs). If anyone has the link, please post it. IN the meantime, I'll be searching.....

Here it is without optics and a new krylon paint job:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure I found the modification link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4799827/Re_Tikka_T3_223_Magazine_Modif
What is the Heaviest bullet you can run through a 1in8 ? My friend is looking for a rifle just like this. Also what is the longest you can load the bullets in that mag?

Jim
I have a T3 lite .223, blued/synthetic that shoots so well that it is one of two rifles I own that won't be going anywhere. Very accurate! I'm using Warne Maxima bases and Leupold PRW rings. On top is a Leupold VX II 2x-7X and it makes for a nice, light rig to tote around. Shoots 52gr Bergers and 65gr Sierra Gamekings to the same POI at 100yds. Both of those loads use H4895 for powder. Haven't tried any bullet heavier than 65 gr, but with the 1 in 8 I'd bet you would be good to 75gr 77gr. Not fond of the factory rings.
Hey SGT,

Haven't heard from you in a while. I did order a set of low Talleys for my T3. I purchased the same rifle as you, Black & Blue. I have a few bullet choices that I want to try. They didn't group well in my DPMS 16" 1-9 and my Model 7 Predator 22" 1-9 twist barrel.

Ken
Originally Posted by BBsteel
senior,

Ken

I've been wanting to do this to my ss varmint model for some time now. It's an absolute laser of a rifle and shoots all I've put through it exceptionally well (55 vmax, 60 vmax, 50 SBKs and 69 SMKs). If anyone has the link, please post it. IN the meantime, I'll be searching.....

Here it is without optics and a new krylon paint job:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure I found the modification link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4799827/Re_Tikka_T3_223_Magazine_Modif

That is a nice looking rig.
Hi Ken! Those Talley lows should work great on that rifle. I've used rings that attach to the grooved receiver before, Warne's and Tikka factory, but prefer the Weaver style myself.
I think you will find that the rifle doesn't need the rounds loaded really long to be accurate. I'll double check my COL's in my log book and post back.
My ugly POS tikka outshot my M700 Tactical with 40 BT's, 50 BT's and 70 VLD's. The M700 got traded for a boat paddle ruger..

The 70 VLD's over a hot load of TAC shoot like a house afire.
now if they would come out with a 22 250 in 1in 8 twist.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mackay...too bad we cant get someone with some real experience with Tikkas to chime in....you know...for the naysayers... grin

Ill bet those plastic magazines and bolt shrouds just shatter when you take them out in the cold like that.... whistle

You said it Brother!

I actually have found the single stack mags to be extremely reliable magazines. In fact I found a good deal online a while back and ordered a half dozen of the 5 round .308 family mags since I have a number of T3s that they will work for.

They have been excellent mags. People like to repeat what they hear on the net so much it becomes "internet fact".

They are one heck of a lot more reliable than Rem factory box mags ( and I have a background as an M24/M700 armorer).

They carry nice and flat in the pocket as well too.
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
now if they would come out with a 22 250 in 1in 8 twist.

That would be pure songdog (and everything else)Poison!
My Tikka is a Tactical in 223. The trigger is very good for a factory trigger, and can be adjusted down to 2lbs. The magazine is short compared to the throat, so the heavier bullets will not fit the magazine if loaded to the lands.However, given that the magazine is thick plastic, I was able to remove .020" from the front of the magazine, which lets me load the 69gr Sierra to within .010" of the lands. While on the topic of the magazine,right from new, it didn't always feed every round,sometimes the rear of the cartridge would get pushed down, and the bolt would pass over it. I tweaked the magazine spring, a few times, and it seems much better now. Below are some five shot,100 yard groups fired two days ago while fine tuning my loads with the 69gr Sierra. The temperature was -3 Celcius with a slight breeze, so under ideal conditions, things can only get better.

[Linked Image]
Bottom right hand target looks good. Looks like something could get hurt real bad with that load. grin

Still waiting for Buds Gun shop to ship my rifle. First and last deal with that shop. They have my FFL dealer on file, they got my CC # and charged me the crap 3% plus the shipping. Will ship 5 to 7 working days. Lesson learned and screw them. Never again !!!!!!!!!!

Ken
My predator rifle is the T3 in 223 and I shoot Hornady 75gr hp. It doesn't tear them up if your careful with shot placement. They'll shoot 1/2in groups. I've also had good luck with 50gr vmax.
© 24hourcampfire