Home
Posted By: remy120777 New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
I am looking to coyote hunt and need help. My deer hunting grounds are overloaded with them and they need thinned out. I have bought a 22-250, fox pro caller and have no clue how to hunt coyotes. I am in Pennsylvania and will be hunting hard woods. Any suggestions on reading material to get started? Do I need more gear?
Posted By: ingwe Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
Dont need more gear. Best advice is to hunt them like they are hunting you. No noise, minimal movement. no noise. Keep the wind with you at all times. Did I mention no noise?
Posted By: RWE Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
Hunting hardwoods, you may find better use with a 12 gauge, full choke, and some number 4 shot.

Keep your binos in a ready position and look for anything out of the ordinary.

They are going to stalk that caller like their life depends on it.
Posted By: remy120777 Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
I had saw a green light at a sports show and it was good for 250 yards, I cannot remember the name. Can they be hunted during the day?
Posted By: RWE Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
yes. I've had success at all times during the day, but mostly first thing in the morning.

Given your mild Pennsylvania winters, after a few days of miserable weather, the dogs will be looking for an easy meal, that's the best time to hit it during the day.

Check your state laws regarding night hunting; we've had decent success hunting over carcasses at night, but we usually left a dead chicken or whatever we had available in the middle of a field, and kept the semi-autos at the ready.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
I'll add, stay hidden. Yotes are spooky good at spotting hunters.
Don't overcall, listen for their locator calls.
Posted By: remy120777 Re: New to coyote hunting - 11/18/12
thanks for the tips...i am going to give this a try after our deer season.
© 24hourcampfire