Home
Posted By: gijoetx Hunting spots - 08/13/13
I am looking for some tips/opinions on hunting pressured spots, that are either hit by first timers a lot or in high traffic areas. Also has anybody had any experience hunting around oil locaitions, ie finished wells with working pump jacks? do the coyotes avoid these areas, or are they just use to the noise and movement, and it becomes part of the back ground. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Stobber Re: Hunting spots - 08/13/13
There are no oil rigs in North Dakota!
Posted By: 5spd Re: Hunting spots - 08/13/13
I shoot many near the oils pumps out here. The noise is nothing to them, they get used to it darn fast. Rabbits like to dig holes near the structures also.
Posted By: erich Re: Hunting spots - 08/13/13
A Many places I've hunted the only place to hide a vehicle is next to the pump or behind the tank.

Here we parked by the rig and hiked out to the phone poles in the distance and sat alongside the poles, picked up a little male right between two groups of calves.
[Linked Image]

Saw 5 here but with a 30+mph wind we couldn't get them in close enough for a shot.
[Linked Image]

I high pressured places I like hunt place where the coyote doesn't have to expose himself to get to the sound. Remote E-callers and shotguns work great here. I shoot a combo or drilling here.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Hunting spots - 08/15/13
Use the pump houses or the jacks to help hide the truck.
Posted By: laker Re: Hunting spots - 08/15/13
In thE winter while checking wells I find coyote tracks right up to the wells.
Posted By: gijoetx Re: Hunting spots - 08/16/13
Cool, I was curious how it affected them. I assumed that they would get use to them being there, and the noises they make. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hunting spots - 08/16/13
What AB2506 said.
They make great truck hides.
I have parked my truck by a pump jack and walked 100 or so yards and called in a coyote numerous times. My truck is not entirely hidden, but I believe the coyote see it as a part of the oil pump jack. And I have parked beside oil tank batteries (group of tanks) and done the same thing.
I think the coyotes get used to them.
© 24hourcampfire