Home
Posted By: Bill in NE Where to go for grey fox? - 06/19/14
Howdy,
Been thinking I'd like to give calling for greys a try, but not sure of a decent place to try this winter.
Here in my sliver of SE Nebraska, we have no greys, and darn few reds.
Got any ideas on where a guy might try to call a grey for the wall?
Texas, Arkansas, etc??
I really have to idea.
Thanks much,
Bill
Maybe somewhere they actually grow fur?....
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/19/14

They are plentiful here but around the size of a house cat. I love seeing them run around my neighborhood at night. The only time I've seen one during the day was during the 2011 drought - it must have been desperate.
I've never actively hunted Gray Fox but have killed a few while calling crows. I only killed them to get a better look. Saw many come in that I didn't shoot.

The only time I've seen them when not calling crows has been at night. I had three that traveled through my back yard several times a week. Last week a coyote showed up in my back yard and I've not seen the Grays or three feral cats since.

Don't know where a best place might be to hunt them but their common in north east Texas, south Arkansas, and north Louisiana from my experience.
A bingo parlor? eek smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Maybe somewhere they actually grow fur?....

Agreed ^
I'd look to the northern states if a nice pelt's what you're after.
If you just want to kill something then TX or AZ are good places to start looking.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

grin

Those are thick and the tagging is easy.
Parts of South and West Texas are full of the little buggers. I know of no public land, but any of the area varmit guides can put you on them. They seem to be especially numerous around the sheep and goat ranches. I have been on two guided hunts and have never lacked for lots of target greys, as well as bobcats.
Hell Yeah, and easy to catch. lol

Posted By: ingwe Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/19/14
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I believe you are thinking cougars�... grin
OOPS. blush
Posted By: GregW Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/22/14
Bill, give my brother Bruce a call. He is owner/operator of Predator Country Outfitters. He is in west Texas where greys are as common as red ants. 325-347-7679.

Where he hunts you better have over 60 greys in the truck during a calling contest or you will likely lose - Point is they are plentiful.

Fun to call, aggressive, and very pretty. You'll be shooting a lot and will be doing some missing for sure. They don't hold still for very long...grin...

He'll show you a good time.

One night -
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/22/14
Greg�thanks for that #�I may be giving him a call�. grin
No worries -

Feel free to call me as well if you want to talk greys -
Greg, they mostly shoot those greys with rifles??? One of my old friends from W. Va. used to hunt greys a lot years ago... He shot them at night with a shotgun... We plan to spend some time in Az. this winter with a swing over to Tx. for hogs and maybe some exotic game.. Looks like this would be a fun stop...
Both -

Best setup is a shotgun and rifle man -

You'll miss alot of fur in the truck without a shotgun -
Greg,
thank you!!
Posted By: GregW Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/23/14
You can be both at once though. I will have a shotgun laid across the rack holding the rifle and will switch readily. Nights they are responding to a call is about as good as it gets.
Greg W,

IMPRESSIVE photos and all! Looks like loads of fun.

I had never ever seen a grey fox until last week and all of a sudden I saw TWO in one week.

Not a big deal to you folks where they have always been around, but Grey fox are making inroads here, and we are seeing more red fox than we used to.

I thought the plentiful coyotes kept fox numbers way down, but despite plentiful Coyotes and then some, the little buggers are making a comeback or new inroad here. I, for one, am glad to see it.

I won't shoot any around here until I know that they have a good hold and are relatively plentiful.

Calling them in the SW at night DOES look like loads of fun. Thanks for sharing the photos and intel.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/28/14
Here in Mid/South TN, coyotes have decimated the fox population. I haven't seen one in the last 2 hunting seasons. When I go to MS to hunt the family farm, they're non existent also. Damn shame, I really enjoy watching them while deer hunting
Posted By: bea175 Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by Bill in NE
Howdy,
Been thinking I'd like to give calling for greys a try, but not sure of a decent place to try this winter.
Here in my sliver of SE Nebraska, we have no greys, and darn few reds.
Got any ideas on where a guy might try to call a grey for the wall?
Texas, Arkansas, etc??
I really have to idea.
Thanks much,

Bill

Most places you find rabbits and mice you will find Grey and Reds . Around here you will find them around grown up clear cuts , brush up field and Pine Thickets. I had a Grey on my trail cam last week in VA.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Where to go for grey fox? - 06/30/14
I know a couple of guys in PA who see a fair amount of grey fox and then the next season hardly any. Mostly in farm areas.
Southern Maryland is loaded w grey fox....very plentiful here
© 24hourcampfire