Home
The 5x35SMc really vaporizes stuff! This is a video of a 30gr bullet @ a mv of 4,534 fps hitting an orange @ 100yds.

http://youtu.be/_jjgZCQPR-E

Good Hunting
Harpy

Fun video!

Tell me or us something about that 5x355Mc cartridge. I love me some velocity!

Yeah, I'm not familiar with it either.
It's one of Mic McPherson's brainfevered creations, a .20 Vartarg (essentially) with a hemispherical shoulder. It supposedly makes more velocity with fewer trimmings and less throat erosion due to the hemi-shoulder.

Savage's custom shop will make you one, if you want one.

Personally, tweaking shoulders and other minutia don't interest me, so I haven't gotten too interested in them.

He's done his hemi shoulder on several cartridges making some claims that I find a bit hard to swallow.
Some of what he does IS interesting, but some of it is just "isn't".
Hemispherical Shoulder? Kinda sounds like Roy Weatherby's "Revere Venturi" shoulder. I wonder if they look a lot alike?

The Venturi Shoulder idea sold a bunch of rifles for Roy before we all got Chronographs. I still like and hunt with some of his cartridges, but it has not been shown that they are any faster than any other round with the same powder capacity and bore size.

The rounded shoulders DO, however, feed really nicely so do add some practical bonus points for us besides usually being about the fastest round going in any particular bore size until very recently. And still hard to beat in many cases.
It's the opposite of a Weatherby shoulder.

Travis
Tell us more about a 22LR that would keep a 60gr 22LR bullet stable and accurate at 100 yards. I have, off and on, been looking for a 1 in 9 twist 10/22 barrel. One company that comes up in my searches "Tactical Solutions" but they are often out of stock (usually when I happen to have the money to buy one.... cry)

What was the rifle and barrel used to make the 22LR shot? I have a good supply of the Aguilla 60gr SSS ammo, but no rifle yet to shoot them through with any kind of accuracy.
S&W used to use 1:10 twist in .22 LR revolvers, and still do as far as I know. I haven't tried it myself, but I get good 25 yard results with a T/C Contender with 1:14 twist - the bullet holes are just slightly out of round, which tells me they are only beginning to keyhole. As you know, a 1:16 barrel will have some of them going sideways in 10 yards, and shoot patterns rather than groups.
Originally Posted by Hogeye
S&W used to use 1:10 twist in .22 LR revolvers, and still do as far as I know. I haven't tried it myself, but I get good 25 yard results with a T/C Contender with 1:14 twist - the bullet holes are just slightly out of round, which tells me they are only beginning to keyhole. As you know, a 1:16 barrel will have some of them going sideways in 10 yards, and shoot patterns rather than groups.

That has been my experience, too. I think I am going to sell my Browning BL-22 Grade ll in the box and buy or build a 1 in 9 twist Ruger 10-22 with a good aftermarket trigger etc.

Lots of urban problems that can be nicely resolved with a motly silent 60gr bullet at 950fps......
© 24hourcampfire