Home
I'm new to coyote hunting and will be using a Vanguard S2 .243. I have a NIB Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44 I can use or I can get a screaming deal on a Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 or a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40.

I don't anticipate ever shooting past 400 yards and doubt I'll ever shoot past 300 yards. For night shooting I figure my AR with an IR will do.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I have several coyote rifles and all have Leupold 4-12X A/O on them, except my 22 Swift has a 4.5-14X Zeiss.
A 3.5-10X would work just fine or the 4.5-14X.
If you are calling them, shots are well under 200 yards.
Either one of the Leupolds�.
I use both Leupold 3x-9x and the 4x-12x and a Redfield 4x-12x,I set them on 6x and leave it alone. When calling my shots are 100 yds or less.
I think any of the scopes that you mentioned will work just fine. Pick the one that has the reticle that you prefer, and go with it.
Personally, I also prefer a variable and start every stand with it set at the lowest power in case the action gets fast and close. Something hangs up a little further out, usually a guy has plenty of time to crank the scope and make the shot.
I use the 3x9 or 2x7 for most of my Coyote Calling.
I like to keep my predator rifles as light as possible so my favorite set up is a 2.5-8 VX3 in Tally LW rings.
Great scope for not allot of money.

[Linked Image]
Thanks for all of the responses.
Depends on your calling terrain....Open....brushy....thick cover....
My coyote guns all have 1x4x20mm or 1.5x6x40mm. I've never felt underscoped when calling coyotes.

12ga/5.6x50mmR Magnum Leupold 1x4x20mm (was testing a Weaver V-3 in the picture)

[Linked Image]
Yep, any of them will work fine. For most of my rifles, I have a VX3 4.5-14 on them, but have a 6.5-20 Leupold on the 220 Swift. Last year, a few days after some range shooting, I forgot to take the scope back to a lower power. Could NOT find the coyote at 75 yards with the scope on 20 power.
I rarely have opportunity to crank up the power but like a vx 3. 4.5x14.. I just got a 2.5x 8 I might really like. For most calling shots will be close and dim light so lower power should be an advantage..
Low power rocks.

[Linked Image]
I like the 3-9x as an all-around scope for a coyote rifle...

SWFA 3-9MQ here...

[Linked Image]

3-9 Zeiss....

[Linked Image]

Leupold 3-9 Mark AR...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a Leupy 3-9x on my AR 223, a Leupy 4.5-14x40 on a CZ 204, a Bushnell Elite 6500 6.5-30x on a 223 AI, a remarkable glass for the money though I've never had it above 16x on fur, and finally another 4.5-14 AO on a 243.
Straight 6x Leupolds, have killed them at well over 400yds w/my Swift-Muddy
Originally Posted by muddy22
Straight 6x Leupolds, have killed them at well over 400yds w/my Swift-Muddy

+1, but with an AO.

[Linked Image]

smile
DMc
© 24hourcampfire