Home
I've been thinking this would be a fun trip for my son and I, he has never been west either. Any suggestions on good areas, and equip. needed, best time to go.......
Thanks
Will
You should have a couple of rifles each, GOOD bino's, bipods, shooting bench, camp chairs, rangefinder, shade maker, water, oh yea, a few hundred bullets or so. May is a great time, with pups running around.
Booking a hunt thru an outfitter might be one issue that would make it easier, but there are plenty of dog towns on public land.
Thanks wyo, we've got the rifles covered, 22-250, 223, 22mag, 17hmr 17m2, and probably a couple contender pistols too. We are good on ammo, binos, spotting scope and Ive got an ez up for shade. I need to buy or build a couple benches that will break down, been looking at the Stukey design.
I guess I need to figure out which state to head to and if we want to pay a landowner or try public land.
A lot of the public land gets hammered. Maybe go to a public land area so you at least have something to shoot then talk to some locals and see if you can get private permissions.
Rosebud, SD
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Rosebud, SD

The last I knew handguns were banned on the ridge and the bud. I know you can't use them to hunt pdogs. Plus you have to hire a guide.

http://www.rstgfp.net/?id=24&page=Hunting

LARGE CALIBER HANDGUNS - It shall be unlawful to hunt any species of wildlife on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation with a handgun, except that big game may be hunted with handguns of .41 and .44 caliber using factory loaded ammunition with expanding bullets and with at least a 4 inch barrel. All other calibers of handguns shall be illegal for hunting of big game.
Plan your trip for mid-may or later so that the young ones are up. This not only gives more shooting but it also leaves some for next year rather than killing the females before they have pupped out.

drover
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Rosebud, SD

The last I knew handguns were banned on the ridge and the bud. I know you can't use them to hunt pdogs. Plus you have to hire a guide.

http://www.rstgfp.net/?id=24&page=Hunting

LARGE CALIBER HANDGUNS - It shall be unlawful to hunt any species of wildlife on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation with a handgun, except that big game may be hunted with handguns of .41 and .44 caliber using factory loaded ammunition with expanding bullets and with at least a 4 inch barrel. All other calibers of handguns shall be illegal for hunting of big game.

I think the Rosebud has gone "lead-free", also. One of the reasons I haven't been back in many years....
I'd go to Wy' no need for a license plenty of dogs mid May through June.
© 24hourcampfire