Home
Around daylight my wife saw a Badger walking thru our yard. It was about 11 degrees, so I bundled up and got a rifle out of the truck to carry on the 4 wheeler. I couldn't find the Badger, but since I was "out there" and had an old Primos closed-reed call in my pocket, I decided to ride over to some straw bales on my Brother's place and try to call a Coyote. It was cold enough that I had to dig out some hand warmer packets to put in my gloves so I could feel the throttle -- I need hot grips on the 4 wheeler and especially a thumb warmer.

Anyway, I got to the round bales and hid the Honda behind one. It was a great view, 360 degrees and only a slight breeze from the North. After my second calling series and only 2-3 minutes after I started, this nice, heavy male popped up about 300 yards away, headed right for me.

I let him get inside 100 yards, at which point he started to circle my position --- heading for downwind like they do. I gave him a "Whoa" and he stopped. One shot thru the lungs -- he never moved except for wringing his tail.

[Linked Image]
Don't you just love stands like that?

Nice shot.

Travis
Well done!

He's dang sure furred up, ain't he.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Called in a nice one this AM - 11/20/14
NICE!
Excellent set up and very well done!!
Nice white belly!
I love it when a plan comes together like that. Nicely done and a beautifull 'yote.
Flame on! Now if you could figure out a way to take your blind with you to each of your stand locations... grin
Nice dog!
Posted By: mart Re: Called in a nice one this AM - 11/26/14
Nicely done. And with a rifle with the bolt handle on the correct side. What chambering and bullet?
Originally Posted by mart
Nicely done. And with a rifle with the bolt handle on the correct side. What chambering and bullet?

Thanks --- It's a .223 that I bought 20+ years ago before Savage once again started making a short action. It stays in the pickup all Winter.

I load a 55 grain Ballistic Tip.

I went back to the same spot yesterday, but by the time I got there on the 4 wheeler it was snowing so hard that I couldn't see 100 yards. Called anyway -- no luck.
Those Montana coyotes sure have pretty fur, fine and thick. Well done!

Have you had good results with the 55 BTip as to saving fur?
congratulations on a nice dog.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Have you had good results with the 55 BTip as to saving fur?

Yeah, they are okay -- seldom tear up a hide. I used to shoot a 53 grain flat based Sierra HP that I thought was the best fur-friendly bullet; but these BTs are pretty good. I started loading BTs for Prairie Dogs because they upset well and shoot well in my .223s. It's not worth it to me to change over to a special Coyote load.
Nice when plan b works out so well....
Whoahhh now that's one healthy yote,I like that tail.ScottyO.
Posted By: 2crow Re: Called in a nice one this AM - 12/18/14
That's a dandy dog!
Nice prize. He's sure furred up nicely. Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire