Home
Posted By: 43Shooter Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
I was watching some coyote hunters on the "Outdoor Channel" and they were driving around and stopping at likely looking spots to call. If they got response they would set up and turn loose one or two dogs wearing e collars. The dogs would then go out in the direction the coyotes were calling from.

When a coyote saw the dog or dogs and advanced toward it the dog would come back toward the callers and the coyote would follow the dog into rifle range.

How common is the use of bait dogs? Sure seemed to work.
Posted By: SlickRick Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
Not real common, super effective.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
The correct vernacular is "decoy dogs". :-)
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
No question that sounds better and they didn't look much like bait. Looked like they could handle a coyote one on one but the coyotes didn't appear afraid of them.
Its mainly a summer time/denning deal. The coyotes are very protective and will not tolerate another canine on their turf. Most generally its more posturing than anything. Most dogs know the game and will not engage in fighting other than to protect themselves. The coyotes are usually the same way.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by SlickRick
Its mainly a summer time/denning deal.

Uhhhhh, OK.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SlickRick
Its mainly a summer time/denning deal.

wink
I caught that. And agree, to a point. Just hadta bust yer chops.....grin
Thats cool. I like the pic.

I wish I could haul a dog year around effectively. I have ran into some mean ones all year round but they are few and far between in the winter. Ive even tried smaller dogs thinking it would extend my dog work. I hate seeing coyote butts running over the hill and out of my life forever. smile

I've never found one as good as the heeler in that pic. And likely never will. Mainly because I don't do it full time like when I was young. Gawd, I miss that Sally dog......sniff
Posted By: Robster Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
Google Tony Tebbe and predator university. He is BIG into using decoy dogs. has a bunch of videos on it as well.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
Thanks, good videos. I would have thought in some situations the dogs might get a little spooked but they stay cool and do a good job of distracting and bringing the coyotes in range. Whether you're a coyote hunter or not if you like watching dogs that know what they're doing these videos are worth watching.
Posted By: willecoyote Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
[Linked Image]

I know he looks pretty "soft" in this pic but the guy I got him from decoyed with him in Nevada and California. He's a great trapline dog and I've used him to track coyote from fresh livestock kills.

He's watching a coyote video in the pic!
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/06/15
I've hunted Coyote with Tebbe & his dogs.....bad-ass video right here from him.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by Robster
Google Tony Tebbe and predator university. He is BIG into using decoy dogs. has a bunch of videos on it as well.

Tony ripped off a buncha guys over on PMS.

I wouldn't buy a house cat from the prick.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
does that mean you won't be watching his movies?.....
Originally Posted by willecoyote
[Linked Image]

I know he looks pretty "soft" in this pic but the guy I got him from decoyed with him in Nevada and California. He's a great trapline dog and I've used him to track coyote from fresh livestock kills.

Shifty eye's,,,,, I like that in a dog. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Not according to what I read. Basically a couple mods jealous of what Tony has accomplished. I had 15 post on PMS and got suspended for something so stupid I can't even remember. I left and never logged back in...f*ck'em.

All my traveling w/outfitters over 25 yrs Tebbe is probably the nicest & hardest worker I've booked with. You wanna kill a chit load of yotes, call him.

Originally Posted by slg888
Not according to what I read. Basically a couple mods jealous of what Tony has accomplished. I had 15 post on PMS and they suspended for something so stupid I can't even remember. I left and never logged back in...f*ck'em.

All my traveling w/outfitters over 25 yrs Tebbe is probably the nicest & hardest worker I've booked with. You wanna kill a chit load of yotes, call him.

Do a search,,, he admitted it. It's public record over there if you care to look it up.Said he was sorry but didn't make any effort at all to reimburse. I'm not going by what others said,,, I'm going by his own words.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
does that mean you won't be watching his movies?.....

No,,, that should be a given since EVERYONE knows how much I like shooting house cats.
Posted By: willecoyote Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by willecoyote
[Linked Image]

Shifty eye's,,,,, I like that in a dog. grin

[Linked Image]

Here's another shifty eyed cur.......
[Linked Image]
Seems Tebbe is still the most popular Coyote hunter on PMS..

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1995328

Tony occasionally post on PMS, but cannot mention he's an outfitter or post his videos due to PMS wanting sponsorship money. shown in 1st link below VV

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2643330

http://www.predatormastersforums.co...b=showflat&Number=2680755&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2520845

http://www.predatormastersforums.co...b=showflat&Number=1395640&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2233617
The fact that you admittedly hunt Coyotes (and god knows what else) with guides and outfitters and think PMS is a source for good information tells me all I care to know.

Tony admitted taking money for dogs and not delivering.
Look it up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or just look up the chit that fits your agenda,,,,,,,,,,,, doesn't matter to me.
I'm glad your impressed I admittally hunted with outfitters. I've also hired strippers, paid for lawn care, even hired a fishing guide once. Hell, I've done self guiding on my personal hunting grounds... Impressive huh?

Like to see that link why he's a prick?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
Yep, ol'tebbe screwed a number of people and his rep took a serious hit. The newbies at PM suck his BS up pretty well though.

Some fireside reading on tebbe.

http://www.huntmastersbbs.com/cgi/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001493;p=1
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Bait dogs? - 02/07/15
I've got a couple VHS tapes from 15+ years ago called Dogging Coyotes. It was filmed up north somewhere, not TX. Very entertaining, and an eye-opener. One of the bait dogs was an Airedale, and I've wondered if Pat (ScenarShooter) was involved. It was pre-Campfire, so I wouldn't have known about Pat back then. I need to buy another VHS player to watch my older stuff.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Decoying coyotes with dogs is very effective......

Posted By: SlickRick Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Did you just get a new dog gonzaga?
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Yes I did. Half border collie/half Cur.... he's the smartest pup I've ever had...he's a strong little dude too......can run down the older dog already and is playing havoc on that coyote hide...I'm anxious to put him to work....
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Originally Posted by Lonny
Yep, ol'tebbe screwed a number of people and his rep took a serious hit. The newbies at PM suck his BS up pretty well though.

Tony's is to PMS,,, what Safariman is to the Fire.
Screws people over only to comeback begging for forgiveness so's he can scam the next guy.

Still find it incredible that any one would pay an "outfitter" to hunt Coyotes but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted By: slg888 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Still find it incredible that any one would pay an "outfitter" to hunt Coyotes but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Maybe because his client killed 9 yotes yesterday & had a good time? Tebbe stays booked up and is the best on what he does. I'll be back in Nov.

I read the link above. Couple guys not happy w/their dog purchase when he was selling dogs. Geezzz....f*ckin computer drama queens.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bait dogs? - 02/08/15
Whatever floats your boat.

You should contact NWA,,,, he's an "outfitter" too.
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Bait dogs? - 02/10/15
Field grade that is a sweet little cur you got. If yours had a white right paw I would swear it was mine. Like shifty eye dogs also.
Posted By: willecoyote Re: Bait dogs? - 02/11/15
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
Field grade that is a sweet little cur you got. If yours had a white right paw I would swear it was mine. Like shifty eye dogs also.

Like this?...
[Linked Image]

BP...does she look like her sister Gypsie?
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Bait dogs? - 02/11/15
Pretty close, lol. Should have got that male he had also. Best dog I ever had. I want get another one, but not sure another dog could compare to this one. I will try to post some pics later.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/12/15
BP and wille, Did you all get your pups from RD?
Posted By: willecoyote Re: Bait dogs? - 02/12/15
Yes.....
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/12/15
I got you last one he had left from that litter, a male with a lot of black in his coat.

He is turning out to be one of the best dogs I've had. He is squirrel crazy too.

Are you running anything with yours
Posted By: willecoyote Re: Bait dogs? - 02/13/15
We've been working with her on raccoon, she's doing well, very smart dog with a great personality too.
Will
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Bait dogs? - 02/13/15
my brother in law has a hunter/retriever champion lab that he will take out as a decoy, works great, only problem is that means SOB likes to fight coyotes. so if you dont shoot them in time he'll chase em off if they run, or kill one if it doesnt
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Bait dogs? - 02/13/15
Wait till that lab meets a pack of coyotes....it won't be pretty...

You've got to have a handle on your dog's until they figure the game out. Once they understand how it works it becomes alot of fun. Otherwise it can be a challenge.....I've always enjoyed watching the dogs work, and the guys with great dogs...well they make it look easy.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Bait dogs? - 02/16/15
I take my dog to every stand, she is my eyes and ears. Still just a pup and hasn't figgered it all out yet but I can't hear that great and they can! Especially nice when calling bears. Last dog would start shivering way before I saw or heard anything.

Last night I set up just before dark for one last stand. I had the E-call playing a cottontail sound and she went over and sat down in front of the caller and started howling! Never heard he howl before. I switched to a coyote sound and got an answer across the canyon but it got too dark before I could pick it up. Fun stuff.
© 24hourcampfire