Home
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Rats! Missed a chance - 02/24/15
Coming back from Seattle overnight I was booking up the Hot Springs valley, checking out the ranchers feeding cows before church, and the kitty kats bouncing mice. Saw about six of them from the highway, which I thought was kind of thick.
So a few miles on before Long Branch curve, there's a bigger furry thing, I get closer it's a guilty-trotting coyote, about 25 yards from the highway with both ears point back at the road.
Grrrrr....
No rifle. But I'm wondering....could I have?
The spot I saw the dog has swales and small hills, the wind was right, and I figured on dumping the clutch and coasting up the hill and around the curve, then backtracking up a handy draw on foot with the squeaker. Good chance, or just keep driving, sonny?
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Rats! Missed a chance - 02/24/15
good chance. I've done it many times, driven by just out of sight, parked, and going out and calling in the spotted from the road target. Matter of fact, earlier this season I spotted one right along the road and I drove on by, turned around and drove back by to get on the downwind side, then parked and walked back and called said coyote in.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rats! Missed a chance - 02/24/15
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Coming back from Seattle overnight I was booking up the Hot Springs valley, checking out the ranchers feeding cows before church, and the kitty kats bouncing mice. Saw about six of them from the highway, which I thought was kind of thick.
So a few miles on before Long Branch curve, there's a bigger furry thing, I get closer it's a guilty-trotting coyote, about 25 yards from the highway with both ears point back at the road.
Grrrrr....
No rifle. But I'm wondering....could I have?
The spot I saw the dog has swales and small hills, the wind was right, and I figured on dumping the clutch and coasting up the hill and around the curve, then backtracking up a handy draw on foot with the squeaker. Good chance, or just keep driving, sonny?

You can definitely call in a dog after you spot them. Just cruise by until they don't see you and dump the truck.

IME if you stop, slow down, pull over, etc. when you're still in their line of sight, the jig is up and they'll haul ass.

Travis
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Rats! Missed a chance - 03/04/15
Next trip I'll pack the iron and the calls. It really was tempting. Fluffy.
© 24hourcampfire