Home
Posted By: Calhoun Help with ID - 03/31/15
First, no pics - sorry.

I was fishing at our local fishing lease last night and after sundown had a visit from a weasel like critter. Very curious guy, came up to about 5' from me while I held still. Was dark brown all over, maybe just a tad lighter on the belly but not much. Fur was pretty fluffy. Length maybe 16"-20"? Going up and down the bank over the rocks, but also swam a 20' stretch pretty quickly.

At first I was thinking weasel, but after looking around online it seems more likely to have been a mink?

Thinking I'm gonna have to spend another evening or two there and see if I can't grab a couple pics of the guy.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Help with ID - 03/31/15
Either a mink or an otter, but probably a mink.
Posted By: mudstud Re: Help with ID - 03/31/15
Probably a mink, from your description. What's a fishing lease? grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Help with ID - 04/01/15
A fishing lease is where I can catch big bass. grin

Took me 20 years to catch my first 5lb bass. I've caught 2 that size this year already, and one that had to be close to 7lb's. That's not gonna happen on any public lakes in Nebraska. Unfortunately.

Jeff, definitely not an otter. Those I would recognize on sight. But I've only ever seen one weasel in Nebraska and that was at night and he was a pretty little guy.

Found this video, it sure looks like what I saw. I was amazed at how curious he was and how close he came to me.

Posted By: MOGC Re: Help with ID - 04/01/15
You can lip squeak to the little fellers and keep their attention just like many critters. I've called them back to me over and over again while fishing.
© 24hourcampfire