Home
Posted By: longshot3 17 Hornet! - 05/16/15
Scored a stainless/brown laminate Ruger M77 17 Hornet today! Do any of you shoot coyotes with this cartridge? If so, what ammo/bullet do you use? I don't have any reloading components yet, but they will soon be purchased.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/16/15
I've kilt a few with the 20 gr vmax.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Great! Got three boxes of loaded ammo with the gun. 20gr Vmax is saddled up!
Posted By: basdjs Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
I'd suggest limiting your shots to inside 150 yds and stay away from the front shoulder bone on a coyote with the v-max.
Yep, wouldn't expect a 20gr Vmax to do much on bone. Wish I could shoot today. Guess East Texas is in the monsoon season! Been raining for what seems a week, with more to come.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Probably don't want to shoot the rear shoulder bone either.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

smile
Posted By: mudstud Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You guys are a hoot! grin
Rear shoulder bones are harder to hit, anyway. 😜
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Who was the knucklehead around here that bragged about shooting deer in the front ham?
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
17 Hornet will work, but I would rather use something bigger, like a 17 Mach IV or 17 Rem. Probably a good fox and bobcat cartridge. I would use a HP bullet also instead of a vmax.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
I wouldn't use the hornet for coyotes unless I had tracking snow. The little 20 grain v-max bullet can't even get all the way through a full grown prairie dog at 100 yards. That tells me all I need to know.
Posted By: Dooger Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
17 Hornet will work, but I would rather use something bigger, like a 17 Mach IV or 17 Rem. Probably a good fox and bobcat cartridge. I would use a HP bullet also instead of a vmax.

This^^^
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Who was the knucklehead around here that bragged about shooting deer in the front ham?

That is funny!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: 17 Hornet! - 05/17/15
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I wouldn't use the hornet for coyotes unless I had tracking snow. The little 20 grain v-max bullet can't even get all the way through a full grown prairie dog at 100 yards. That tells me all I need to know.

This ^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Coyotejunki

And this ^^^^^^ cept I'd take Bobcat out of the equation,,, but a BIG +2 on the HP..

Depends on where you live but Bobcats can be every bit as big and certainly as hard to kill (if not harder) than a Coyote.

Yep, I have some HP's on order. There are a lot of bobcats in my area. I'll be using this rifle mostly for them, coons, and crows. But if the occasional coyote comes by, I'll pop it.

When I lived in Virginia, we killed a pile of fox with the HMR and 20 grain HP's. Never saw a coyote out there though.
© 24hourcampfire