Home
Over at Gunbroker.com there is an extremely good condition (as described by the seller!) Remington XR-100 in caliber 22-250 Remington.
The Rifle has been bid up to $620.00 as of today (Sunday September 27th) and the Rifle has a "buy it now" price of $850.00.
Now $850.00 is a LOT of money but of recent I have seen some XR-100's sell for that and MORE!
For those not familiar the XR-100 it is no longer made by Remington (for the life of me I don't know why!) but in my opinion it is an OUTSTANDING Varmint Rifle and capable of superb accuracy!
The Rifle has a 26" barrel, is built on a solid single shot bolt action, has an excellent trigger and a very handsome and comfortable thumbhole style laminated stock.
I have Hunted all manner of Varmints with my XR-100's and I think they are wonderful Rifles both afield and at the range.
I have an XR-100 in 22-250 Remington already or I would buy this one.
I also have XR-100's in 223 Remington and 204 Ruger (two of these) calibers as well.
I have no interest in the sale of this Rifle and don't know the seller - I just think its an excellent Rifle in "little used" condition for consideration of someone wanting a great Varmint Rifle.

Link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510250353

If that link doesn't work just search Remington XR-100's on gunbroker.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I sold you an XR-100 22-250 when I lived in Idaho about 2007 -that thing shot like a champ from the first groups sighting it in.
I just didn't need a single shot since I mostly predator call.
They are a great rifle for shooting off of a bipod.
My local FFL guys seem to be a pain in the ass to work with for online purchases / auctions ... so I quit trying. If I ever find one locally at an even half reasonable price it'll probably go home with me. I think they'd make a perfect action for the BR cartridges that don't feed very well, things based on the .284 that fall in between short and long action, Fireball cases, and so on.
Ol_mike: Pardon my slow reply to your post - and thank you for that Rifle!
It indeed is, extremely accurate.
According to my loading log I first shot it in February of 2,008.
My best group to date was a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measured .397!
It seems to always shoot very well for me.
Although I do seldom take it to the range anymore - I use it strictly for Colony Varmints.
I just bought my fifth XR-100 last week.
It is in caliber 204 Ruger.
Thanks again and again pardon my slow reply to your post.
I will P/M you with this post as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Glad the rifle is treating you well , it is a solid piece for sure.
Enjoyed talking on the phone to you back then --take care !
Mike
I bought an XR 100 in 223
Pulled the barrel, Installed a heavy Shilen 26" stainless 204 barrel
Added Sako extractor
Chambered in 20 Vartarg
It is a very accurate prairie dog killing machine
Dale06: A couple of my XR-100's have made it over to Prairie Dog country and I agree the Rifles do perform well for that application.
The stock and weight/balance make for just about perfection (shooting prone, from my bench or from my tripod).
Again I must question the reasoning by Remington for phasing out this superb gun?
And speaking of questions - I wonder what prompted you to go to the expense and time/trouble of re-barreling the 223 to 20 VarTarg?
I have three XR-100's in 204 Ruger (lifetime supply!) and they shoot VERY well indeed.
I also have three custom Rifles with Shilen barrels and I know how well they shoot - I am just puzzled why you chose the 20 VarTarg over the 204 Ruger?
I have a Prairie Dog Safari coming up here soon and for sure I will have along at least one of my XR-100's in 204 Ruger.
Wishing you the best of luck with the XR-100.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have 2 xr 100's in 204.Very accurate, sub 1/2". Shoot p-dogs with them. IMO You can't find a better p-dog cartridge. I can see 90% of my hits and misses and will see 100% when my paper work is done for my can.
I would guess that slow sales because of it being a single shot. For my use (p-dogs) a single shot is perfect but a lot of people see them as a disadvantage????
Boatammo: What bullets are you using in your XR-100's in 204 Ruger?
My two on-line XR-100's in 204 Ruger both shot "best" with the nifty Berger 35 grain bullets.
Sadly they are hard to come by in my neck'o the woods.
So I went to the next most accurate bullet for them and that bullet is the Sierra 32 grain BlitzKing.
I do have 2 boxes of the 35 grain Bergers left over and will do load development and some Varminting with these in my third XR-100 in 204 which will come on-line when the wind quits blowing.
I agree with you completely on the superiority of the 204 Ruger cartridge in a Prairie Dog town!
The last range trip/sight-in verification trip i took an XR-100 in 204 Ruger for I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring .358"!
That was shot using a Nikon 6.5x20 variable scope and the aforementioned Sierra BlitzKings.
Wishing you continued fun and success with your XR-100's.
By the way does a "can" (silencer?) reduce recoil or muzzle jump?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarvimtGuy
I use 32 gr. blitzkings in 1 and 32 gr. v-max's in the other. Both like 30.9 gr. of cfe223. Mine both wear 6.5x20x40 leupold LR with the varmint reticle. Both shoot better than me. I like the weight as I don't carry them, they settle on the bag very well.
I haven't got my can yet but my buddy has a couple and they do reduce recoil and muzzle jump.
I'm waiting for the paperwork to go thru.
He gets way more shots from each setup than I do.
They are a great rifle for what I use them for.
Also have been using a 17 hornet a lot this spring. Amazing rd. for p-dogs.
Boatammo: In preparation for "my" 17 Hornet (of which I have been debating whether to buy one or not for almost two years now!) I went to a garage sale last weekend and came away with a virtually brand new set of 17 Hornet R.C.B.S. dies and two 50 round cardboard containers of 17 Hornet Hornady brass all for $60.00!
The elderly fellow selling same has arthritic fingers and could not handle the tiny bullets while handloading them.
He switched, of recent, to the 17 WSM cartridge/Rifle for his Ground Squirrel Hunting needs.
I want to find a "deal" on the heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 Hornet.
It just has NOT happened yet - I may have to break down and just buy a new Rifle.
Anyway I now have the dies and enough brass to get me started.
I will have a 17 Hornet on-line by next springs Gopher Hunting come heck or high water.
Thanks for the clarification on the recoil and muzzle jump question I had.
And thanks for the load tip with the CFE 223 powder.
I have got to try that stuff - many of my friends use it in various Rifles and I have two un-opened pounds of CFE 223 powder.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I've shot over 900 rds, thru my 17 hornets so far this spring at p-dogs the vast majority hits. I was in love with my 204's and still am but inside of 275 yds. the 17 is deadly. I have made kills at over 300 but the percentage drops quickly. Both of mine are cz 527 varmints. They both shoot sub 1/2". They are surprisingly good in the wind.
© 24hourcampfire