Home
Posted By: deflave Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/22/15
Cruising the regulars, not seeing much difference when buying a brick.

And the WSM seems to offer a lot more.

Right or wrong on this?

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/22/15
If the cost is the same its a no-brainer....get the WSM
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/22/15
But IS it the same?

Looks like it from my view but what about local stores?

Travis
Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/22/15
WSM bout $2.50 more per 50. Seems like there is some better deals on HMR when buying 500 at a time
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/22/15
Got a couple of rifles chambered in the HMR.. and ammo is available... so I'll stick with it...

but unlike my 22 Mags and my 22 Long Rifles, ya can't find ammo and when you do, the price doesn't make it worth it...

for the price, I think handloaded centerfire ammo gives me the same costs and better results...and handloading gives me something to keep busy instead of watching TV etc...

Instead of buying a 17 WSM, I'll be putting a 17 Rem barrel on a Ruger this winter...all will probably be cheaper in the long run....

Rimfires should be cheap and available... it hasn't been for quite a while...
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
Just looking at the prices at Graf's it seems like you'll pay about $15.00 more per brick. That's really not that big of a deal, depending on how many bricks you go through...

No way I'm reloading to match rimfires. I spend enough time reloading as it is.

Travis
Posted By: Lonny Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
'flave, Which 17 WSM rifle you think about getting or do you already have the rifle?
I was looking at a Ruger.

I think they're the only ones that make 'em.

Travis
Posted By: laker Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
My only worry is will the 17 wsm stick around?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Just looking at the prices at Graf's it seems like you'll pay about $15.00 more per brick. That's really not that big of a deal, depending on how many bricks you go through...

No way I'm reloading to match rimfires. I spend enough time reloading as it is.

Travis

yeah, but that's because you aren't semi retired and have too much time on your hands as I do.....

reloading actually gives me something to do a lot of times...

if going new, I'd probably go with the 17WSM, if I had to do Rimfire...but if I didn't have to go rimfire, I'd go with the 17 Hornet version of the Ruger 77 Mk 2....over the WSM or HMR

Addendum....

here was a pic I noticed in my Photobucket account...

this little sucker was cut in half by a 17 HMR out of a Ruger 77/17 Mk 2 @ 125 to 150 yds...does pretty well out to 200 to 225 yds pretty consistently ... just wonder if all a 17 WSM will give ya is another 25 yds point blank range...my scope has dots to compensate for that...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
Im thinking about getting rid of a heavy Ruger in 17HMR if you decide to go that way....
PM inbound.

Clark
Originally Posted by laker

One of my concerns as well.

But after looking at the cost of ammo, I wonder now if it won't cut into the HMR's?

Travis
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
HMR seems to be cheaper in my experience everywhere. Whether or not a WSM or other "oddball" will stick around has never bothered me at all with centerfires; but, rimfire is a whole different ball game.
Posted By: shootAI Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
From what I have seen HMR is cheaper by a couple dollars. I just ordered 6 cases at 99.99 a case from Midsouth. I have not seen wsm at ten box yet though it has dropped from $16 to $13 a box. I am considering a WSM with this recent drop in prices. I will go ruger given then choices out there. I was hoping for more offerings in this chambering.
Grafs has the HMR stuff for $10.59 and the WSM for $11.99.

Pretty close.

Travis
Posted By: laker Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
I'd pay an extra $1.40 for alittle more carnage.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15

One of my concerns as well.

But after looking at the cost of ammo, I wonder now if it won't cut into the HMR's?

Travis

Fire sale to try and sell some WSMs, lest the roud fade into obscurity?

The WSM sounds interesting, but personally I'm not touching it until I see that the round has an established foothold with some staying power. Keeping an eye on the future, what happens if Hil-Dog wins the next election, and manufacturers/consumers go back into full blown panic mode (not that we've really recovered from the last panic)? Might see the WSM go the way of the 17hm2.
True.

Travis
Posted By: Lonny Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
I'd pay an extra $1.40 for alittle more carnage.

Plus 1 on that. The added range would be a biggie too.

I know after getting a HMR a couple years after they came out, my .22 rimfires almost never get shot for vermin anymore. I wouldn't be without a HMR for killing small stuff.

I'd bet though, if a guy gets the WSM and already owns a HMR, the HMR will become second fiddle, especially if the price is within a couple bucks per 50 of HMR.
I am going to give a wsm a try at that price. I will buy 5000 rounds and start shooting. Whatever is leftover you can sell at double or tripple what you paid when it turns into the Mach 2. You can't loose. Enough guns have sold that ammo will be needed down the road no matter what.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/23/15
But most of those, are B-mags. Half of those will be wrapped around trees....
WTF are these B-mags I keep reading about?

Travis
Never mind. I just googled it.

Savage.

Dave
Just buy the ruger
Posted By: bbassi Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/24/15
I was going to buy one of the WSM to predator hunt until the state changed the law to allow centerfire under 22 cal for predators. I bought a 17 Remington and never looked back. Now if someone offered the WSM in a LH model or possibly a lever gun, I'd be first in line.
Posted By: Diablero Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/24/15
WTF are these B-mags I keep reading about?

Travis

It's nothing more than another gun manufacturer trying to reinvent the wheel. I could put several new calibers into that category.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/24/15
Originally Posted by shootAI
Just buy the ruger

No worries there.

Stickin' with the HMR for another season though.

Travis
Posted By: shootAI Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/24/15
Can't go wrong with HMR. I have a slight addiction to the round myself. Trying to pick a favorite to shoot is another story. Luckily they all get used at some point shooting sage rats. Best bang for the buck on them rats. I wouldn't be without a HMR under any circumstance.
We still shoot more 22LR than anything else. I'd say most of our shots are 25-50yds.

Travis
That's definitely 22 range. I guess I just prefer the pop of the HMR for the shots over 50. It's fun watching em flip. 22LR is definitely more cost effective. We use our fair share of 22 as well.
Oh yeah. Same here. And when it's just me I shoot a lot of centerfires regardless of the ranges involved.

But when I have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dumb in tow, it's all rimfires. grin

Travis
Hahaha i know how that goes. The rimfires keep the cost down when I am have to pick up the welfare tab for others and dependents. I restrict them to very few centerfires as I get no help at the reloading bench or with the bills from components. When I am by myself I tend to stay with small centerfires like my Calhoon's and vartrags. They are by far my favorites
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/25/15
I love the idea of the .17 WSM since in general I'm a .17 fan anyway, but had been trying to justify one when I already owned very accurate CZ .17 HMR's and .17 Hornets. Finally decided to try a Savage B-Mag, despite many negative opinions, because I'm supposed to be a shooting professional. Plus a gun shop I trust said most B-Mags shoot well.

Well, mine doesn't, with two brands of ammo. It may be a scope problem, so put another on and will see, but somehow doubt it will make any difference.

A good buddy has a Ruger .17 WSM and loves it, but something rankles me about only having a choice between a $300 rifle and an $800 rifle--especially when I already have two .17's that bracket the WSM's performance. And aside from occasional sales on .17 WSM ammo, .17 HMR is still considerably cheaper. I've been buying .17 HMR on the Internet an average of $10 a brick, or slightly more, including shipping.

Running the numbers on a ballistics program showed the WSM with its most definite advantage beyond 150 yards, but I already have the .17 Hornet for that--and it's a LOT more cartridge than the .17 WSM. I do handload for the Hornet, but what a lot of guys are doing with the .17 Hornet is shooting factory ammo, then selling the once-fired brass to handloaders, whereupon the price is similar to shooting average-priced .17 WSM ammo.

One of the reasons the .17 HMR became so popular, so quickly was just about every rifle, no matter how cheap, shot very well. It would be nice to see .17 WSM rifles that cost $400-$500 and did the same.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/28/15
Too bad NEF is a thing of the past...

I could see a NEF in 17 WSM...I paid $100 for the HMR version brand new...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/28/15
If Sako made a WSM then maybe.

I've had a custom Anschutz 17 Ackley Hornet and it was fine for squirrels and such, but lacked for consistent knockdown on coyotes. If you could poke them in the throat, no problem. Great for rabbits, flying pieces! I'm sure the WSM would be murder too.

17 HMR is just so easy to love and available in so many rifles, I wouldn't probably be inclined to mess with the WSM. Not that it wouldn't work, but I just don't need another rifle right in there. It's definitely here to stay where the WSM seems to be on the way out.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/28/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I love the idea of the .17 WSM since in general I'm a .17 fan anyway, but had been trying to justify one when I already owned very accurate CZ .17 HMR's and .17 Hornets. Finally decided to try a Savage B-Mag, despite many negative opinions, because I'm supposed to be a shooting professional. Plus a gun shop I trust said most B-Mags shoot well.

Well, mine doesn't, with two brands of ammo. It may be a scope problem, so put another on and will see, but somehow doubt it will make any difference.

A good buddy has a Ruger .17 WSM and loves it, but something rankles me about only having a choice between a $300 rifle and an $800 rifle--especially when I already have two .17's that bracket the WSM's performance. And aside from occasional sales on .17 WSM ammo, .17 HMR is still considerably cheaper. I've been buying .17 HMR on the Internet an average of $10 a brick, or slightly more, including shipping.

Running the numbers on a ballistics program showed the WSM with its most definite advantage beyond 150 yards, but I already have the .17 Hornet for that--and it's a LOT more cartridge than the .17 WSM. I do handload for the Hornet, but what a lot of guys are doing with the .17 Hornet is shooting factory ammo, then selling the once-fired brass to handloaders, whereupon the price is similar to shooting average-priced .17 WSM ammo.

One of the reasons the .17 HMR became so popular, so quickly was just about every rifle, no matter how cheap, shot very well. It would be nice to see .17 WSM rifles that cost $400-$500 and did the same.

My buddy also bought a B-mag when they first came out. He could not get it to shoot. Sent it back to the factory and they sent him a newer heavy barrel B-mag. They said he would be happy with this one. The newer HBAR B-mag still doesn't shoot for chit. He's tried 4 different types of ammo with no luck. From what I hear there are too many inconsistencies with the ammo for it to shoot accurately. I've never heard of the same problems with the HMR. The HMR has always been extremely accurate right out of the gate in many different rifles.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/28/15
I think the WSM is another winner that is going to die a not so lingering death due to:

1.) A POS rifle giving it a bad name.

2.) The alternative to the POS costing $800

3.) Worst timing in the history of ever.

I hope I'm wrong.

Travis
I think the WSM is another winner that is going to die a not so lingering death due to:

1.) A POS rifle giving it a bad name.

2.) The alternative to the POS costing $800

3.) Worst timing in the history of ever.

I hope I'm wrong.

Travis

I don't think you are wrong at all.....
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/28/15
Today.... grin

GFY

Dave
Ha ha....
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/30/15
HMR is the only locally available rimfire I can find in any volume
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 12/31/15
Deflave: I just came from my local pawn/sport shop and they got in a new model of Savage Rifle in 17 WSM this morning.
It is a heavy barreled, laminated thumbhole stocked model with two sling swivel studs on the wide forearm.
It is different in many respects from the prior models of Savage Rifles available in the 17 WSM caliber.
My friend bought himself and his wife each a savage Rifle in 17 WSM more than a year ago now.
So Ruger is not the only company making Rifles in 17 WSM.
I was interested in the Ruger heavy barrel 77/17WSM myself but have not plunked down the monies as yet.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: deflave Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 01/01/16
VG,

I don't consider a Savage to be a rifle. I used to but I don't any more.

Travis
Posted By: shootAI Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 01/01/16
I agree with Dave, the savage should not be considered a rifle. A walking stick maybe..... I really want to try a wsm bad now after all this discussion. I have a few of the rugers in 22 hornet, 19 Calhoon hornet, 17 HMR, 22WMR, and 17HM2 and while I like them I don't love them. My favorite thing about the ruger platform is they feel like a real rifle. They aren't some miniature plastic thing cause they are rimfire. I feel the barrels are heavier than needed on the target variety and accuracy in mine has been good but nothing stellar. But given the current options I see ruger as the horse in the race. They seem to be priced in the $700 dollar range which is more than I would like to spend on that particular rifle but I don't see an alternative.

Does anyone know of any alternatives out there? Any news on another company picking up the chambering? I would be like to see CZ start chambering for one. I feel CZ is the best rimfire under $1000 by a long shot despite its backward safety. I would even consider spending a lot more money on a great rifle like a cooper and Annie if they picked up the chambering. H-S was supposed to make a rifle for the WSM but at $2500. I have not seen anymore news on it either though. It's not on their website.

I fear this round could turn into the Mach 2 but I don't care. I got plenty of enjoyment out of my Mach 2's despite its current situation. I have a few thousand rounds left and if I can't get anymore I still enjoyed my purchases and owning the guns. Hopefully I can get more rounds in the future.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 01/13/16
Seems like great opportunity for Ruger to slap a WSM barrel on the American rimfire rifle. I was looking one over a few weeks ago. Not crazy about the glossy blueing or sights but it’s a pretty nice rifle for $300.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Cost-WSM vs HMR - 01/29/16
I just picked up a 17 WSM, yesterday. I went with the stainless/wood Ruger and stuck on a 3-9x50 VX2. Ammo around here is about $13 per 50. Got it new for $650. Hoping to shoot it today.
© 24hourcampfire