Home
It was a beautiful afternoon yesterday, so Em and I headed out with the dog for a hike and some spot/stalk coyote hunting.

We glasses up several coyotes below us in a valley about a mile out.... and the sneak was on. Once in position we spotted two coyotes.... one about 1000 yards out, and this guy about 600 yards out.... and he was looking right at the dog.

I threw a ball down off the bank and Blue tore off after it. As soon as she did, the coyote started at us. We lost sight of it about 300 yards out, but I knew it was en route. Sure enough, about 2 minutes later it popped up right wher I thought it would. Em anchored it so fast, that Blue never saw it.

Turned out to be a nice average size male, which is what I suspected by his approach. The 123 Amax via her suppressed CTR .260 was not fur friendly at 150 yards....

Great day to shoot a first coyote with the ladies.... and glass up a dozen more....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice work.. Hope you bag many more this winter!!
Great job on the shooters part!
Very cool.

I take it Blue doesn't have a coyote education yet?
Always thought it would be fun to hunt with a decoy dog. Congrats to all involved!!
Pretty dog, pretty lady, nice looking yote, and great taste in rifles.

Overall that is hard to beat.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

It's easy to see why he shared some photos. That's what a great day looks like.
Thanks fellas....I'm pretty proud of them both. Em has been a great hunting partner this past year or two. This was a top five all time coyote day for sure, I can't recall enjoying a hunt more in the moment. I didn't do anything but watch the ladies work.

It was cool to see Em go from unsure about the rifle a couple years ago.... to a stone cold killer. As soon as she had a clean look, she dumped that dog. She has really taken to that Tikka CTR, and all those steel plates and prairie dogs are really paying off.

The dog has no coyote education... other than a natural instinct to be wary of them. But she listens very well, isn't gun shy....and she's not too big or aggressive, so I figured she'd work. She really enjoys it, I'll have her out several more times this winter.
VERY cool beans!
Nice coyote and you are lucky to have both a beautiful wife and one that will go hunting with you.
That's awesome man. Glad she's getting out there and smashing coyotes with you. Blue is a good looking dog too. It's amazing to see a coyotes reaction when they see another dog out there.
How does Blue react when she sees coyotes? How about the dead ones? My pup like to chew on the dead ones....lol
What a great day and great pics, congrats.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

My thoughts, too.
This reminds me of a very cool video I saw a long time ago called Dogging Coyotes. A guy had trained a white cur dog to range far out and the coyotes would start chasing the dog, then it would run back to the people, where they would whack the coyote at very short range. I think it was filmed in South Dakota. Very entertaining.

Thanks again gentlemen.... I'm a pretty lucky guy. I think I've spent at least 30 days hunting and fishing with Em this past season. She shot the Sporting Rifle Match with that Tikka CTR .260 in Aug, then we hunted archery elk in Sept, she killed her first buck (CTR again) in Oct, got her ass kicked by a 30lb Tarpon (but landed a nice Kingfish) down in FL last month, and hammered that coyote last week. It certainly isn't over yet, and it hasn't been easy... but no doubt this has been the most enjoyable hunting season of my life.

zaga.... The dog has been out a couple times with me to hunt coyotes.... but has never spotted and engaged one. I'm interested to see what happens when she realizes what is actually going on. For now.... she just thinks were going on hikes with a gun. She didn't really pay much attention to the dead one.... sniffed it a bit, then went about her business.

Jack.... I remember watching that video when I was just out of high school. I swore I'd always have a dog like that... she isn't it... but it's always a better day afield when you've got a dog along.

Had a couple PMs asking about Blue (or "Palowski" as I often call her).... she's an almost 2 year old Heeler/Lab about 55lbs. No "gun" training... but she certainly isn't gun-shy and she listens/obeys WAY better than any of my children. We got her at about 7-8 months old off craigslist as a gift last Christmas for the kids. Got pretty lucky there too, she's the best dog I've ever had.
I'm always amazed how coyotes react to domestic dogs on a stand....
You've got the perfect decaying dog.....just don't throw that arm out throwing that ball for her.....lol.
It's good that you guys are able to spend quality time like that together...
Family time like that is needed more and more these days...
Thx for sharing
Originally Posted by gonzaga
You've got the perfect decaying dog

DS's dog died?.......grin
That knuckle-head Blue is fine..... the other dog pictured is certainly decaying at this point.... but the pelt is scraped, stretched, and ready for the tannery.... and the skull will be finished shortly.

For those of you who have a desk at work, like Don, laffin..... the cleaned-up skulls make an awesome business card holder....
I don't save business cards, so no need of skulls on the desk. Mine are on windowsills and old trunks.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love the pile of prairie dog skulls.... it's amazing how many of those there are lying around the towns. The cat skulls are freakish....
Dang it Don.......it was a typo......lol

© 24hourcampfire