Home
Posted By: darick Choose one - 02/03/16
What would you buy? Thompson center venture or ruger American predator. It's going to be a 22-250.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Choose one - 02/03/16
While I really like varmint hunting the woodchucks are gone now from our New England fields.

Since the coyotes came they are gone.

I liked my 22 centerfires and still have the rifles but If I had to get a new one it would also be suitable for deer hunting.

That Ruger looks 'modern'. Get a 6mm cartridge or larger.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Choose one - 02/03/16
DumbasDon, STFU. You don't hunt and if you ever did it's been decades.

Between those two, for the OP, the Ruger. Not only is it a better made and likely to be more accurate rifle, the 1-10" twist (while not optimum) is a good bit better than the 1-12" in the T/C. That twist, plus a better mag box constraint geometry will let you use bullets with far better BC for distance, wind bucking, and down range energy.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Choose one - 02/03/16
I would get the Ruger. I've shot the standard 22-250 and it shoots very well. Not handled the Predator, but I'm sure it won't disappoint!
Posted By: kingston Re: Choose one - 02/03/16
Ruger if forced to choose between those two.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Choose one - 02/04/16
Not sure either would be a bad rifle. I had the all camo Venture in a 22-250 and ran 50 grain V-Max at mag length, 1/4-1/2" groups with a max load of IMR-4895. Had a good trigger without the annoying blade that several are using on their triggers. My only complaint was the smallish bolt knob.

The Ruger appears to be a real shooter from all I have seen and read and sells like crazy in these parts. I don't think you will be disappointed with either.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Choose one - 02/05/16
owning a Ruger....

I also own a Howa from Whittakers for $345 delivered to my FFL...

and I also own an ADL Remington...

all three are very accurate, but given the choice for only one.. it would be either the Howa or the ADL Rem...
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Choose one - 02/15/16
I've owned a couple RAR's and one TC Venture. To me, the TC felt more solid or substantial. I also like the magazine on the TC better than the Ruger.

Of the two the OP pointed out, I'd go TC.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Choose one - 02/15/16
I think the faster twist RAR would sway me with one exception. Doesent the RAR have a short magazine? Meaning you cannot seat the long pills ,those over 60grs and heavier out far enough and still use or load them in the factory magazine. You have to load them single shot . I thought I saw this recently on this forum. Someone was making a Mod to the factory mag. and selling them.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Choose one - 02/15/16
The RAR has some of the smoothest rifle barrels on a production rifle at that price point. I would also think the RAR would be a cheaper gun to find a deal on. As long as you do not shoot the heavy .22 cal bullets,75gr and up from the magazine of the RAR. Or the TC. with the slower twist , either will work. Personnel prefferance would decide the issue.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Choose one - 02/15/16
I have a Ruger in 223, that has the short magazine, same length that it would be in an AR...also have one of the custom made longer mags...

the 22.250 and above have a more reasonable length magazine
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Choose one - 02/25/16
Neither actually I would go with an older rifle myself...
Posted By: dantheman223wssm Re: Choose one - 02/29/16
Tc for me own 2 a 204 and a 22-250 and love them . Both are shooters and come camo
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Choose one - 02/29/16
I would find a suitable older Rem 700 and rebarrel to an 8 twist 22-250.

Or if you did not want a fast twist gun, simply get a Tikka T3 varmint in .22-250 and be done.

Posted By: k22hornet Re: Choose one - 03/01/16
TC, all the way.

The TC has a better stock, 5R rifling and a very easy to adjust trigger.

I own the TC ICon, in 243. Sub-MOA has been easy to achieve with loads ranging from a 55gr Btip to a 85gr TSX, which is the heaviest bullet I've tried.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Choose one - 03/01/16

That's like picking between a claw hammer or a ball peen hammer to hit your finger with. No matter what, it is painful. I would eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a couple more months and with the money I saved, I would buy a better gun...
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Choose one - 03/01/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That's like picking between a claw hammer or a ball peen hammer to hit your finger with. No matter what, it is painful. I would eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a couple more months and with the money I saved, I would buy a better gun...
e

My thoughts exactly just cont put it into words like shrapnel ....well said
© 24hourcampfire