Home
Hi all, I know I'm on a different continent, but would like to hear about any recommendations on 22WMR ammo to be used primarily for thinning out the local fox population. I will be using it in a Savage model 24 if that is going to be of any consideration. Thanks.
Aussielad
Federal 50gr. JHP...
CCI 40 fmj and head shots if you're saving hides.
Just like any rimfire......use the one that shoots best in your rifle....
CCI...Winchester...Federal...they're all good and will kill a Fox with proper shot placement...
Unlike the Kid...I don't think much of using FMJ's for hunting but that's just my opinion and everyone's got one...
I've used Winchester 40gr Silver Box for almost 50yrs now in several different guns...they tend to shot well in most rifles and kill stuff just fine....
Good luck finding any WMR ammo these days though.....

Thanks lads, will have a look and see if I can actually find this stuff here in Oz.
whichever brand your rifle likes because they all kill foxes very well
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Just like any rimfire......use the one that shoots best in your rifle....
CCI...Winchester...Federal...they're all good and will kill a Fox with proper shot placement...
Unlike the Kid...I don't think much of using FMJ's for hunting but that's just my opinion and everyone's got one...
I've used Winchester 40gr Silver Box for almost 50yrs now in several different guns...they tend to shot well in most rifles and kill stuff just fine....
Good luck finding any WMR ammo these days though.....

This.
Not much to add. Search your available options and get a little bit of as many choices as you can and see what works best in your firearm. Then reduce the overpopulation of predators as rapidly as you are able.
My 24DL .22 WMR/.410 likes the old standard 40 gr. W/W hollowpoints best--it's my most accurate .22 WMR with those.

Unfortunately I have to use 28 or 30 gr "unleaded" ammo to hunt anywhere within 3 hours of where I live, and the old 24 HATES unleaded!

Fortunately my G2 carbine with MGM custom barrel likes it OK, well enough to shoot ground squirrels up to 75-80 yards reliably. Same with my "Win" (Miroku) 1885 Lowall. My old Win 61M pump REALLY HATES unleaded.

We have a pretty good supply of all .22 RF in SoCal now, at least enough for any hunting purposes.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Federal 50gr. JHP...

This or some of the old 50gr Speer Gold Dot.

Both pack a wallop. Good on pelts also.
I killed a lot of foxes with winchester 40g HP, coyotes also.

Many rifles will not stabalize a 50g bullet. Winchester supreme is too explosive. Beware of poly tip bullets also.
When I was 13 I bought my first rifle, a Savage 34M, or I should say my dad bought it but I paid for it with my trapping money. We lived on a dairy farm and I hunted woodchucks, raccoons, fox and coyotes with that little rifle. There was rarely a day till I turned 18 and left for college that I didn't carry it. I racked up some serious numbers of all the above critters with the Winchester 40 grain HP. I flirted with the Federal 50 grainers when they first came out but my rifle didn't like them. The same for some of the lighter offerings. Nothing shot as well as the Winchester 40 grain HP. The CCI version shot almost as well and I shot a quite a bit of it if I couldn't get the Winchester. I still have that little rifle and around 1800 rounds of the Winchester 40 grain loads.

The 40 grain HP's killed foxes wonderfully. Coyotes sometimes took a second shot but with a good solid chest shot they never went far. I found raccoons sometimes harder to kill with a chest shot than coyote. Foxes went down pretty quick with good solid kill zone shots.

I haven't had that little rifle out in a while. Now I'm excited to spend some time with it this winter.
A belated thank you to all who contributed advice. I will dwell on all considerations. Checking all my local gun stores for what variety they offer, and will do as recommended and see which one works best in my 24. Then time to bring out the fox whistle and start to try and reduce numbers.
Cheers, Aussielad.
© 24hourcampfire