Home
The stainless laminated marlin?
CZ 455....
Marlin and Savage are accurate and cheap......

If you don't mind plastic...tin...and pot metal.....

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
CZ 455....
One of my brothers has a CZ 455 Varmint and the other has a stainless, heavy barrel Savage with laminate stock. I've shot them both. The Savage walks all over the CZ for accuracy. I bought a Marlin 17V shortly after they came out and had it for 5 years before I sold it. It was also more accurate than the CZ but not as accurate as the Savage.
I have a savage 93 hvy bbl and a CZ 455 . Both shoot great , obviously the CZ is a better looking gun . I doubt you would be disappointed with either.
I've been around a bunch of accurate CZ 17 HMRs.

I picked up one of these recently and it has been shockingly accurate

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/124
Originally Posted by Dude270

I recently bought one of those too and it's a HUGE piece of shyt. In fact, it's back with Ruger right now and I just got notified they'll be replacing it. I guess it was too much of a train wreck to be worth fixing.
Clark, I have had two.. A Marlin with a plain wood stock and I now have a CZ 452 with a heavy barrel.. Both of mine are or were very accurate.. On a whim I sold the Marlin, but picked up the 452 in Montana.. I think any of the three would serve well... Just depends which you like best.. I have three CZ's one in .22LR, one in .17HMR, and one in .22 mag. All three are top shooters.
I've got a Savage 93R17, heavy SS barrel and black plastic stock.

I shot 5 shot groups with 5 different brands of ammo at the same target that could be covered with a nickle at 50 yards using a K4 Weaver. A better scope and shooter could probably do better.

I've read too many issues with the CZ 455s to recommend one. That said, I have several 452/3s and they are excellent shooters.

You might be able to find a Ruger 77/17 too that fits the bill. I have two and they've pretty accurate and I like the magazine.

If I had one option though, I would grab a CZ 452/3.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dude270

I recently bought one of those too and it's a HUGE piece of shyt. In fact, it's back with Ruger right now and I just got notified they'll be replacing it. I guess it was too much of a train wreck to be worth fixing.

I have two of these rifles, 17hmr and a 22wmr but haven't put but a few rounds through them and have had no issues. Would you mind sending me a pm and let me know what kind of issues you were having?
I have Marlin, Ruger, and Savage rifles in 17HMR. All of them are MOA capable, so I'd recommend picking the make, model, style that has the best ergs and fits your budget. I like the Marlin bolt actions, as they have longer barrels and larger, more man-size, stocks than the comparable Savages. The difference in stock between the Marlin and Savage is particularly noticeable with the synthetic stocks, but not as much with the laminated or solid wood stocks.
Savage 93
Originally Posted by Paladin
I've got a Savage 93R17, heavy SS barrel and black plastic stock.

I shot 5 shot groups with 5 different brands of ammo at the same target that could be covered with a nickle at 50 yards using a K4 Weaver. A better scope and shooter could probably do better.

this
Mine is a lever action Ruger 96, but I doubt you'll ever find one for <$500. It is super fast and accurate, the perfect jackrabbit machine.
My 455 is a great shooter in 22lr and 17hmr. Doesn't like Vmax ammo for some reason as much as the 20g stuff. Still shoots 1/2 inch at 50 with Vmax though vs game points are tiny groups.

Not a single problem with it and have not read about any problems with them. Enlighten me as to the problems

Many said 452 is more accurate but mine shot as good as either 452 I have shot beside and shot as good as a cooper JSR 22lr with a factory 22lr barrel and only a yo Dave trigger job
© 24hourcampfire