Home
Let's get another started guys........ Don, take it from here.. grin
Why don't you get out there with the call this morning, beat him to it, and ramrod this thing this year? laugh
I'm out......
Pffftttt....

Yeah, right!
Was gonna go after a cat this morning but a foot of heavy coastal snow overnight here in the bottom of the valley has closed off all but plowed roads to me. Only main highways will be plowed on New Year's morning. Good day to stay home with wife and hot drinks. By tomorrow they will plow working logging roads.

Happy New Year to the hard core year round hunters this predator forum collects, and best of luck in 2017.
[Linked Image]

3:15am on 1/1/17
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pffftttt....

Yeah, right!

[Linked Image]
laugh
Another cat.

[Linked Image]
Pretty cat.. Good work!
Nice kitty. Rockin' the Stormy for bonus points. laugh
Why don't you get out there with the call this morning, beat him to it, and ramrod this thing this year? laugh

Awesome stuff guys.... Ingwe, the only thing I shot down that morning was shingles....ugh. I will have some contributions soon but have been sort of busy.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Nice kitty. Rockin' the Stormy for bonus points. laugh

Best cool weather hunting cap around!

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Pretty cat.. Good work!

Thanks! One of these days I'm gonna plan a trip to Wyo do some calling, I'm sure ya'll won't mind a greenie bumming around ๐Ÿ˜‚
[Linked Image]

3 Dog Night 2017 style.
[Linked Image]
good job aalf. you hunting by moonlight?
good job aalf. you hunting by moonlight?

Thanks....

No, just went out late afternoon for one set before dark. Took the better part of 20 minutes for her to show. She was heading downwind directly across from me on the opposite hilltop, so I had to take the shot, about 160 yards or so. 6x47 Lapua with 105 VLD's.

Pic from my nest soon after the excitement:

[Linked Image]

By the time I gathered up my stuff and humped it down the hill, up the other side, and found her, the kill pic is basically a night shot.

Killed a pair of pants too....... grin

[Linked Image]
How bad did that 105vld blow her up
After tomorrow I'll have the snare line completely pulled and my trapping season will be all but over except for a few cat sets that I will leave out for a few more weeks. This years snow and wind has really worked me over. Between having all my sets blown in and having to shovel the pickup into spots and then having to shovel the pickup back out of spots because the wind has blown it back in while I check traps and snares and the hiking in knee to hip deep snow has beaten me down. [Linked Image]
Laker was that a 3 legged yote or did you break him off?
Laker was that a 3 legged yote or did you break him off?

3 legged
Originally Posted by aalf
[Linked Image]

Good job. Fur looks good and thats what we have been seeing, but fur prices suck.
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image]

Good job. Fur looks good and thats what we have been seeing, but fur prices suck.

Thanks Wayne.

The pic doesn't show it, but at first glance she was almost red enough to pass for a fox.

I'm sure there was another coming with her, as she looked behind herself 2-3 times, but the 'ol "one in the hand" deal kicked in. I called for a few minutes after the shot, but nothing showed.
Originally Posted by kevinJ
How bad did that 105vld blow her up

I've had great luck with either the 95 or 105 VLD's. Like most anything, you have to stay off the fringes.

Didn't take a pic on this one, but this is an typical exit from a 105:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

small one from last night. God Dam it was cold.
Nice!! Too cold for this guy!!
Windy here today. Saw 3 coyotes and 1 fox.

Never flipped the gun off of safety, fox with cattle, pair of coyotes with cattle and skylined and single coyote with cattle.

Smart critters around here.
Thanks aalf, I am planning on killing one this week if stars align with my 6br and 105 vld. Would like to have a usable fur as my oldest boy wants one. I have used the 95nbt on them many times and as long as you avoid front leg they are mostly fur friendly. Of course at 30 yards it was a grenade
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Never flipped the gun off of safety, fox with cattle, pair of coyotes with cattle and skylined and single coyote with cattle.

Time to get out the cow camo.......... grin
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Time to get out the cow camo.......... grin

Used to have a cut out for sneaking up on the sky carp.
Damnnation. I just missed one at 200 hundred yards.

2300 hours, layed out in a snowbank, 5 below, scope fogged up, using the moon for light.

I have plenty of excuses, but I think I just flat missed him.

Wife thought he might have hopped a bit, she was watching out the picture window. Have a look in the morning.
[Linked Image]
Busted this guy today while out looking for sheds

[Linked Image]
Called this one in this morning, didn't think I was going to to get him to stop, bout bit the caller and busted out but got him to slow down just enough!

[Linked Image]
Hunted hard with friend Friday night as part of the local coyote/predator contest.

[Linked Image]
bbassi

Nice, those greys sure look pretty.

Howled this one up last night....

After 35 minutes of various calls on the Foxpro, I let loose with a 3-4 lonely howls with my Sceery. Had a response less than a 100 yards in front of me from a wooded knob, but getting too dark to see into it.

I waited 5 minutes or so to see if she'd show, contemplated what the hell to do next. Running out of daylight, I finally gave several challenge barks/howls to push the issue, and sat still....

Figuring it was all but over, I glanced over to my hard left, and there she was about 125 out giving me the stink eye. I moved the gun over & got her in the scope, but couldn't see the reticle. Quick turned on the illumination just as she started to leave, a quick bark & she made the fatal mistake of stopping.

Kawoomp.....and she took off angling up the hill.....schitt. I racked in another, got her back in the scope, and kawopped her again. Although she was dead on her feet after the initial shot, most times I'm just making noise after the 1st shot, but I impressed myself this time with the follow up.

6x47 Lapua with 105 Berger VLD's.

[Linked Image]
So I'm out cruising around looking for a varmint, and stop on a high point to glass into a brushy creek bottom out in the middle of a section. Hot damn, finally spot one out nosing around. After 15-20 minutes, he lays down, so I take off to the north side of the section to put the move on him. Get over there, park the truck, and while gathering up the essentials, I hear a howl.....cool, game on.

Sneaking was tough with the crusty snow, so I had to take it slow, not knowing if he had moved or not. I had only gone a couple hundred yards angling up the slope, and damned if I didn't see a 2nd one 800 yards out heading my way too. Almost made it to the top of the hill, and I spotted no.1 400 yards out paralleling the fence, kinda quartering towards me. I changed course to head towards the creek trying to cut him off.

Hadn't gone very far, and I saw him giving me the stick eye, & poof, he was out of sight....schitt. Quick dropped down and pointed the gun in an opening and an instant later he came into view and stopped......boom. About 150 broadside, done deal. 22-204 with 80 grain Berger VLD's

[Linked Image]
all I got was a bucking funny......

[Linked Image]

Back to the story.....

After dropping the first dog, I snuck up to the top of the rise to have a looksie for varmint #2. Spotted her right away, lucky that the shot didn't blow her out of the country, most likely due to distance and the terrain.

After dropping prone again, I ranged her at 550. I dialed in the scope as she moved up the hill a bit, & when she sat down, I held on her head to make up for the increased yardage, and let 'er rip. Schit, swing and a miss. She ran a little to my right and stopped broadside. Thinking I must have shot over, I held center, and promptly dropped her on the spot. Hot damn.....22-204 and the Bergers score again.

[Linked Image]
good shooting aalf. I wish we had day time opportunities around here.

So I get back out cruising again, and stop on the west side of a favorite scenic overlook. With the wind out of the northwest, it narrows down where the varmints might be laying. It took only a minute to two to spot something laying on a snow drift in the fence row in the middle of the section. The sun had just came up, so being mostly in the shade, it was tough to tell if it was a coyote or a red fox. I had spotted a fox the day before just across the road from where I was, so I didn't want to waste my time sneaking in on Mr Red if that's what it was. The rangefinder said 1197 yards.

So I drove over to the south end, and there I could confirm that it was Wile E.Coyote. 992 yards, but no way to approach from there, so I drove over to the east side out of sight, and parked by the fence row he was curled up in. Gathered up my stuff and started in. The snow still had a noisy crust on it, so slo mo was the order of the day.

I had bookmarked a couple small trees in the fence that he was laid up by, and the closer I got, I realized it wasn't going to work. I was still 400 yards out, but the ground had a small rise to it, and by the time I figured I would get to where I might get a shot, I would blow him out before even spotting him. So I back tracked a bit, then hung a left to circle around towards him. Well schit, that wasn't going to work either, still due to the rise.

Last chance....I reversed to a little pile of trees & brush in the middle of the field, went prone in the shade in front, and gave 3-4 short series of the bunny blues. Less than 2 minutes in, here he comes. He started and stopped a couple of times, and at the 100 yard mark, worried he might spot my truck, I took the head on shot. A couple of spins & down for the count. 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers.

[Linked Image]

aalf
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 22-204 with the 80 grain
bergers? Thanks for your time. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by northcountry
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers?
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

The 80 grain Bergers are running 3025 in two different 24" barrels, and 3115 in another 26" tube.

I've killed quite a few coyotes with the 75 Bergers in the past. 75 grain Bergers run 3075 in two different 22" barrels, and 3125 in another 24" gun.
Nice hunt and story aalf!

I often find that I get too anxious on yotes.

Give me a whitetail or a mule deer and I'll stalk or wait it out all day.

I need to apply that patience to predators...
How is that bullet on fur?
Originally Posted by LouisB
How is that bullet on fur?

It works just fine, but like most bullets, stay off the fringes.

Broadside behind the shoulder, 75 or 80's, leaves maybe a nickle sized exit.
aalf, good shooting there.

I have been out several times and always with a pard. Luck would have it they are getting the coyotes...have not fired a shot.

Decided to change my luck and went solo with a muzzleloader.

[Linked Image]

Nice job Wayne..... I don't trust myself with a single shot..... whistle
[Linked Image]

3 dog Saturday night.
[Linked Image]

3 dog Saturday night.

Great way to celebrate your birthday.

Well done and happy birthday.
[Linked Image]
strawbarry blonde male. second one this week to come charging in to female whimpers. Tis the season I guess.

[Linked Image]
Nice!
Thanks Roundoak. Hey - why are almost all the pictures this year from the eastern half of the county? Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit? whistle

So I get out cruising again, right at the start of the big warm-up, knowing the snow is on it's last leg. Took a while, but finally spotted one way up a valley out mousing w/o a care in the world.

Drove out of sight, parked the truck, donned the whites, grabbed the gun, & headed out. With a couple warmer days the snow had settled some, making a harder crust that I could stay on top of, not breaking through every other step, or sounding like the whole grade school class.

I skirted the south hill staying out of sight till that petered out, then snuck around the end till he came into sight. Laid down prone and hit him with the range finder....315 yards. Dialed in the drop, held dead center behind the shoulder, and let 'er go. Didn't hear the kawop, but knew he was dead man running. He made it about 50 yards or so and went ass over teacup. 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers again.

[Linked Image]

No pics, but just busted the lead dog coyote at 388 yards from the back porch, was having coffee reading the campfire and watchng the North pasture, 4 brown spots were moving in the yellow grass.

Spun the CDS on my old 300 Win Mag heavy rifle, it didn't disappoint, 208 gr A-Max's leaving at 3K with Retumbo did the dirty work. wink
A twelve pack of buzzards are now doing reconnaissance flybys. grin
Thanks Roundoak. Hey - why are almost all the pictures this year from the eastern half of the county? Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit? whistle

Weather has been schitt in much of the western USA this winter...

Sun was out yesterday....so I went to take a walk in the woods... a usual 3 mile circuit close to home...

I don't know how far I made it, before turning around and coming home....the mud was ridiculous.. you step on the ground and water comes oozing up.. even with rubber boots on, it was a real mess...

so varmints might be getting a reprieve for right now.. but in a month or two, that will change real quick...
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner love that style in your report...

I'd be puling out a 223, 22.250 or 243 for when they land...
Originally Posted by Seafire

PM sent Seafire.
Originally Posted by Seafire

LOL, I've always heard buzzards wouldn't land and eat coyotes, they've been up there for 5/6 hours, best I could count about 15 showed up.

As long as they hang out and carry off the trash they're okay with me, I ran two off last week from a newborn calf and his mother, one shot to the dirt close behind the rear one sent those two packing, if they would have returned I'd have killed one, the little 22-250 got that job.
Postmortem autopsy report, a big beautiful red dog, bullet struck right shoulder, exited left side guts, huge hole, the buzzard crew removed all the guts they could drag out and also removed both eyes.

This poor lead dog died hard and fast. cool
Nice work gunner!!!!
My pleasure Sir. wink
Population is down a bit around my country, and I seem to not have been able to hit squat frown

Then, last week, I found out my 204 was hitting 3 inches right at 100 meters.
With some correction, I may be able to hit again smile
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Population is down a bit around my country, and I seem to not have been able to hit squat frown

Then, last week, I found out my 204 was hitting 3 inches right at 100 meters.
With some correction, I may be able to hit again smile

You would have hit the dog I shot yesterday with 3"s of right wind at 100 grin.

Bet his pack buddies came by in the cover of dark to check on him last night, hope those bastards stayed up all night ripping each other apart to establish a new pack boss!
Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit?
Not hardly, if I posted a picture of every coyote I shot, you all would get sick and tired of me real quick. wink Killed #95 for the season yesterday. whistle
Here's a late season quad that I howled in this past Sat. morning. Longest shot on the stand was 120 yards.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit?
Not hardly, if I posted a picture of every coyote I shot, you all would get sick and tired of me real quick. wink Killed #95 for the season yesterday. whistle

I've seen some of your videos and have no doubt you boys put a hurting on them. I (we) just like to see them once in a while.
Here's a late season quad that I howled in this past Sat. morning. Longest shot on the stand was 120 yards.
[Linked Image]

NICE!!!!!
Shot a 125 lb black razorback sow today at 4 pm, she and her buddy were nearly 200 yards N/NE of the coyote carcass from Sunday, thinking the S/SW winds brought em in to the smell.

The old 300 got it done again at 569 yards!
where's the pics?
I cell texted a couple pics to rockchucker and EvilTwin.
[Linked Image]

Not me. I have missed the last three I shot at.
Coyote from the a weeke and a half ago. Probably the last one for the season fo me. Probably wouldn't be top lot but I'll just keep it for myself. Would have been a good one back in December.
[Linked Image]
Cat season ended this past week and I already miss it. I'm addicted to calling them in. Can't seem to find one that's that perfect, Wide, white belly, 35lb+, in eastern Colorado so I hope to spend some time on the western side of the state next season.

[Linked Image]
Great!!
daddy gunner's hog

[Linked Image]
Thanks Bobby, she's gonna eat good, in behind the right shoulder, out the liver on the left side, glad to have not hit any of the eating parts. wink
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

308?

Nice shooting to you too Hendricks.
6.5 creed
10-4 Hunts, nice coyote head-crack. cool
nah, I ain't that good.. shot in the shoulder, came out the throat...
nah, I ain't that good.. shot in the shoulder, came out the throat...

10-4, good shooting nonetheless Pard!

I love blasting yoteys.
Not a bad day of calling. Explored some new country.
[Linked Image]
Very nice!
She got too close to a Savage 99-A 250-3000.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A before picture:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by roundoak
She got too close to a Savage 99-A 250-3000.

I'd have to keep that one.
Been after this guy for a few days now. He sprayed my dog, and taking eggs like crazy.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Leonten
A before picture:

[Linked Image]

Jeez I wish I could get cats to stroll through my yard.... laugh
I have been shed hunting more than varmint shooting of late but the p dogs are out in force everytime I go by the dog town..... Need to whack some.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by msj348
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the '92....
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Originally Posted by msj348
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the '92....

SRC no less.....
[Linked Image]

A few pigs
Lots of flies on those. Do you ever eat any of the small ones?
Edtoomanyletters aka APDDSN0864

[Linked Image]

Turkey Poacher and his victim

[Linked Image]
I didn't reckon Ed to be a poacher........BWAHAHA
[Linked Image]

Shot this bunch of pigs a couple weeks back while I was bass fishing. There was one more but he died too far away for me to drag up for a pic.

I took the loins off all the smaller ones, had to pack them 600 yards in the dark to the truck or I would have taken a couple out whole. I soaked them in ice water with a little salt for 2 days and trimmed all the fat an sinew off, soo far they've been indistinguishable from store bought pork loins. Even made Canadian bacon out of one.
Sometimes, good smoked with mesquite or pecan wood.
last one of the season (yes we have a coyote season). Pregnant female shot the last week of March. Not sure how I feel about that.

[Linked Image]
if you was worried about feelings, you'da been home in bed......
last one of the season (yes we have a coyote season). Pregnant female shot the last week of March. Not sure how I feel about that.

[Linked Image]

Think of it this way....you saved yourself 4 or 5 cartridges.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Killed 27 last weekend.
Good grief....."overrun" doesn't begin to cover it.
Wow! Some truckload of pork. Would you believe we are starting to have a feral pig problem way up here in New Jersey? In the southern part of the state it is legal to shoot any you see while deer hunting. We don't have them here in the northern part of the state, only in the flat and sandy pine forests and farm lands in the south.

In north Jersey we have a bear problem, as in too many. A friend of mine shot a black bear with his bow last October which dressed out at 679.5 lbs. It will probably be a state record when the state gets around to thinking about it.
That pen of dead hogs looks like an air strike. Rio7
Got this triple on an early morning stand a few weeks ago. One pair came in, shot the female at 140, and the male running at 115. Fired the machine back up and a second pair came in, but I screwed that deal up. Started thinking about #4 before I had #3 dead, you know where that always leads to. Ended up catching the female of that pair looking back at 387 though, and put an 87 VMAX through the front of her throat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Do I win the dink award with this one?

[Linked Image]
No. Its no fair when you cut them in half trying to make them smaller....
No. Its no fair when you cut them in half trying to make them smaller....

Yes, all parts and pieces must be present for proper autopsy photography ;]
Oh, he is all there. Ground squirrel pups were out in droves. This one and a bunch of his kin saw their last sunrise yesterday.
Nash and I couldnt stand it any longer and went out right by the house yesterday evening and had this guy come charging in to 20 yards.. Nash blasted him a couple times with the '95... It was pretty cool hearing that big lever working between shots....grin

[Linked Image]
laugh
Shotguns count? Al48 putting in depradation work this am.

[Linked Image]
Bobcat from this last season. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Nice cat.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tedo
Bobcat from this last season. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Very nice... Looks like some great calling country.
[Linked Image]

Mr. Skunk McSkunkerson dirt nap. 12 ga. 2 3/4" lead #2 mag. and 9mm 124 hst
First blood with my new 452 and our first really nice spring day.
75 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, a nice walk in the woods with plenty of targets, and a cold beer waiting back at the truck.
It don't get much better..
I killed the first two and missed the third so I quit taking pictures and concentrated on my shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks like the 452 has been officially made a killer. Nice pics and a nice day. Darn few nice days this spring, glad you got out to enjoy it.

What ammo did you use?
Mini's.....I had one big one try to crawl off but the rest died like gentlemen.
Do pigs count?

[Linked Image]
They do in my book!!!
put dat in ya book.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svooK-EkPLo
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
[Linked Image]
Whats the scope Ben?
SWFA 6x... Had it about a year now, I'm lovin' it....
Good to know!
I wanna see Nash decapitate a prairiedog with his Ninjy Disc......
I wanna see Nash decapitate a prairiedog with his Ninjy Disc......

Don there is a distinct possibility of that happening....grin
took the furball and the hornut out for some exercise this morning. Looked at 4 different dog towns. Numbers are down from years past. Of course it doesn't help that both ranchers I hunted on had done some poisoning last year. But still found a few. Perfect weather. Needed long sleeve shirt and the wind stayed below 10 mph.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
From a couple of days ago.

[Linked Image]
Possum on the half shell!
[Linked Image]
First shot of the year for my beloved little Fireball. Center punched at about 100.
She's still got it. Man I love this rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The grass is getting a little high but I still managed to whack a dozen or so.
There's worse ways to spend a day than setting under a tree waiting to see what pops up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fifteen minutes ago.

[Linked Image]
Got this quill pig after my buddies blue heeler got a snoutful while were out riding!

Ruger Single Six with 4 5/8" barrel

[Linked Image]
It works out better to get them BEFORE the dog does.......
Genet Cat, 30 yards on the run

[Linked Image]
Colt AR, Leupold Green Dot scope. 200 yards away, running. Whole lot of luck

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tmc0304
Genet Cat, 30 yards on the run

[Linked Image]

Very cool.

Assuming that's a Ring Tail Cat I didn't realize they lived in northern climates.
The only one I've ever seen was running across the road at night just outside of Bagdad AZ.
FG, not a cacomistle.
[Linked Image]
FG, not a cacomistle.

Yea.....looks like I have ADD because the OP clearly says it's a Genet Cat.

Whatever it is I'd like to have it's pelt hanging on my wall.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Pat, Is that the 6.5 SAUM?
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Pat, Is that the 6.5 SAUM?

It is.
I had to kill a red thief with my new 10mm the other day.

I was headed out to my reloading shop with my DW 10mm in my pocket, a red squirrel bolted from Wifeys garden, proceeded to climb a tree and start cussing me out, now, if you get caught stealing food, it's best to apologize and leave, he should have. grin

As he peeked around the fork in the tree I leveled the sights on his head, his whole body was tuning up into that chew you out spastic shake, BOOM went the 10 sending a 200 gr Nosler HP his way, clipped him in the neck, got a nice pic with him lying alongside his newly met corrector ;]
A good friend in Montana called this one in. He stopped at 225 to give me a Glamour Shot pose..................

[Linked Image]

A Longrifles, Inc. Mausenfield in .22-250 with a Harvester. Can't believe how quiet it was.
Had a great time at the event formerly known as the 24HourCampfire Invitational..... A few well known ex members were in attendence. whistle We all had a great time, killed a lot of dogs, shot a lot of cool rigs, and just had an all around fun time. I did drop the ball on getting dead dog pics, sorry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will hang some more pics in a bit but photobucket is being a pain right now..
Very nice๐Ÿ‘ Thanks for the pic's.. Calibers? Good to see some of the members there๐Ÿ‘Œ
Thanks for the pics, curman!

Had a great time again and a special thanks to shrapnel for hosting the event and also for winning the shrimp eating contest....

Also thanks to mtncurman and his family for making us right at home and opening up their home to us. Thank you.
You fellers are welcome anytime Nate... Thanks for coming!
Good to see you posting, and some of the ex fellows alive and well!
Did y'all know that it takes two Texans to eat an Armadillo? Well, somebody has got to watch out for cars and trucks.
My stepdaughter & her 1st prairie dog๐Ÿ‘

[Linked Image]
My step granddaughter & her 1st prairie dog..๐Ÿ˜Ž She is a great shot her mom is good but this gal is great.. Never shot a scope til this trip ๐Ÿ‘

[Linked Image]
Congrats - keep up the good work.
Seen a Ring Tail Cat down in Texas but never in the north.
© 24hourcampfire