Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Sauer 100 .222 - 01/25/17
Arrived a couple days ago. Got it scoped and ready to go.

*One note- the magazine is blocked at the back for the shorter .222 cartridge. As near as I can tell from reading, and seeing this, there might be two sizes of actions on the Sauer 100. A combination Mini/Medium and Magnum. None of the literature is clear on this. That's my splatter paint job, don't blame Sauer. Haven't shot it yet. Available in some good cartridges, including a couple of the 6.5's.

Writeups give specs.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-test-sauer-100-classic-xt-rifle

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/24/hardware-sauer-100-classic-xt/#

Forum members were able to set me up with some ammo to try, brass, and dies, for that I'm very grateful, thank you guys. Here's the little Sauer 100 .222. Range test soon I hope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/25/17
Found the 100 a good bit less expensive here, and GREAT service from these guys.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/25/17
The .222 is a fine caliber... I use mine for all sorts of varmints.. If legal, a super turkey rifle..
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/25/17
Nice.....
I bet it's a shooter....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/26/17
I'm hoping.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/27/17
100 yard ten shot group

[Linked Image]

200 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's the good news. The bad news, the rifle won't feed. At all. Rarely. Factory or handloads. It's bad.

Seems like a combination of a sheitty magazine and a wall at the back of the barrel. A big, strong wall. Where there should be a chamber. Just a giant metal wall that the bullet likes to ram into.

So there's that. Now the fun begins.
Posted By: barm Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Great shooter. Too bad about the feeding. I hope it will be an easy fix for you like a new magazine.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Originally Posted by barm
Great shooter. Too bad about the feeding. I hope it will be an easy fix for you like a new magazine.

I shined a light in there to have a look at the chamber. I already knew what I was going to see.

The barrel is flat at the back. No feed ramp. It has lugs for the bolt to turn into (3 lugs, 60 degree lift) right behind the chamber. I don't know if those lugs are supposed to guide the cartridge into the chamber or if the bolt is supposed to pick it up and carry it in. I suspect the latter. The magazine clearly is not right, it double loads sometimes, won't release a cartridge at all sometimes, spring binds up and doesn't tension cartridges sometimes, cartrdiges come out at all angles and ram into the back of the barrel. etc. I'd take it apart and polish it but I'm waiting for a reply before I void any warranty.

It is the worst feeding rifle I have ever seen, or could even imagine. I was able to get two loads to feed sometimes, but it was far, far from being a functional rifle IMO.

Even if a guy dedicated it to single shot use for prairie dog towns, the chamber is recessed so far inside the receiver and the barrel is so blunt at the back that it's almost impossible to single feed. You can't drop one on an empty magazine and scoot it in, it jams into the back of the barrel.

Very disappointed.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Fireball2: Dang that is disappointing!
I couldn't even suggest a cure.
But I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help you out.
The double loading magazine and the non-existent feed ramp tells me this design wasn't "mocked up" for testing - just put together.
It shoots so very well that maybe you could get along single loading ("putting up" somehow with the problems you posted)?
How about round nosed bullets if you can find some for your handloading?
I am just sad for your situation but hopeful for a good outcome.
Thanks for sharing your porblems with us.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
No way I can live with a rifle that won't feed, or even single load well!

As of right at this moment, the biggest problem I have is that it came with no warranty card, and I have 10 days from the date of purchase to return it, and I'm there!

Since the rifle was pretty obviously not tested for function, and it came without a warranty card, and they only give you ten days from the date of purchase to return it (to Germany???), should I be hopeful?

With an internet purchase taking most of 10 days just to get delivered, not sure how anyone could ever get a warranty card returned in just 10 days. IF it goes to Germany, forget it, not possible.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Fireball2: Dang that is disappointing!
I couldn't even suggest a cure.
But I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help you out.
The double loading magazine and the non-existent feed ramp tells me this design wasn't "mocked up" for testing - just put together.
It shoots so very well that maybe you could get along single loading ("putting up" somehow with the problems you posted)?
I am just sad for your situation but hopeful for a good outcome.
Thanks for sharing your porblems with us.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yea.....I'm sure they built them without any testing.
For a guy that claims to know so much about guns you can sure say some stupid chit.
______________________________________________________________________________________

That sucks FB
I'd start with a new magazine.
You mentioned the bolt. Are these rifles CRF?

There was a video floating around the web a few years ago of a guy somewhere in Europe shooting driven hogs with a Sauer. He was running that bolt action like a semi auto so clearly Sauer can build a rifle that feeds well.
It's probably an easy fix (like the magazine).

Luck

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Are these rifles CRF?

Pushes the cartridge about halfway out of the magazine, never grabs onto it in any way, and then it jams into the end of the barrel. The problem with the 222 is, if the lugs are somehow supposed to act like a ramp to guide the cartridge into the chamber, the little 222 falls between the lugs if it's riding loose out of the magazine on it's way forward. Right into the back of the barrel, or sometimes the cartridge pops up and hits above the chamber.

It's probably an easy fix (like the magazine).

I appreciate the encouragement. I had a buddy with a Sauer .270 that was an honest 1/2" gun and ran like a raped ape. I hope you're right but plastic magazines, sheesh.

Luck

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I would be very disappointed if it came to that. Nah, something must be done, they can't be sending out rifle's that feed this poorly and expect the public to go for it. This thread will live in eternity on the internet, so anyone that searches Sauer 100 222 can hopefully be spared from buying one. It'd be nice if Sauer could read it, actually.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
[quote=Fireball2]

I appreciate the encouragement. I had a buddy with a Sauer .270 that was an honest 1/2" gun and ran like a raped ape. I hope you're right but plastic magazines, sheesh.

[quote]

Yea....kinda like the Tikka T3 Hunter in 222 that I just bought.

Plastic mag/trigger guard and a long ass action that's impossible to single feed but accurate.
Tikka uses a single stack mag though so at least it feeds even if it only holds three rounds.

Keep us informed and again...luck.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
100 yard ten shot group

[Linked Image]

200 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold 2.5-8 set on 8.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
I'd contact Sauer and explain the mail order thing. I'm sure they're work with you.

Do you have a picture of the mag with a round in it?

Dave
Email sent to Sauer. Gunpro already offered to step in if I sent the UPC code to them. I'm waiting on word from Sauer before I go sending the UPC off to a middle man.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
There's all kinds of monkey business with this magazine. It binds up alot, but very subtly. The cartridges do not have even and consistent upward pressure due to the binding, sometimes falling below the line where the bolt could even pick them up.

There's precious little material holding them in as well, and with the normal monkeying required to get the damn things to feed, it dumps two in front of the bolt often.

So this will be hard to explain, but as the cartridge moves forward it hits a tit on the magazine that causes it to rise and align. The problem is, when it comes to the space in front of the rim of the cartridge, that void between the rim and case body, that causes it to go off kilter and jam up against the side of the receiver rather than remain in alignment. There's just not enough surface area of the magazine contacting a cartridge when all it's touching is the rim and it's still not started into the chamber yet.

Basically, this action is too long for the 222. The magazine won't support the cartridge long enough to ensure alignment. Said another way, the cartridge is still too far from the chamber by the time it leaves the magazine to ensure chambering. It's a long action rifle made for a short action cartridge with a sheitty magazine design.
I coulda just bought another Sako Vixen. Those damn rifles work and they're the right size.

I think I'm done with new rifles. The whole, keep it cheap, use the long action for the tiniest cartridges thing is pure bullsheit. Works for the manufacturers but obviously isn't working for the shooter.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Bummer.. I love my .222's but something like this should never happen..
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
Well, after reading this they already lost one sale for sure right here. Almost bought one back in November. Glad I didn't now and for sure won't be buying one in the future either.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Well, after reading this they already lost one sale for sure right here. Almost bought one back in November. Glad I didn't now and for sure won't be buying one in the future either.

At this point I wouldn't either. I'll give them a chance to make it right, not sure how other than replace magazines till you find one that works. If it can't be made right, I'm of a mind to cut it up into little pieces with a chopsaw and send it back to Sauer in a small box with a nice note and a copy of this thread.

Home Depot just sent me the wrong shower surround too. 5 piece set only has four. Wrong color. Probly not the best week to try new things.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17
too bad your having problems. their website says that it has a 12 twist rate. I might have bought one.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/28/17

Basically, this action is too long for the 222. The magazine won't support the cartridge long enough to ensure alignment. Said another way, the cartridge is still too far from the chamber by the time it leaves the magazine to ensure chambering. It's a long action rifle made for a short action cartridge with a sheitty magazine design.

That's what I was thinking when I read your OP.

Is it a Tikka length action or just a .308 sized cartridge type action?

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave

That's what I was thinking when I read your OP.

Is it a Tikka length action or just a .308 sized cartridge type action?

Dave

Trenton,
Thank you for the interest. I'm not sure I know how to answer the question, since I know not what the pertinent measurements would be.

Rocky

*I don't think I have a single long bolt action in the house, and don't have a Tikka neither.
Posted By: verns Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 01/29/17
Sorry for the big disappointment . They will make it right for you but not give you back the 3 weeks of jacking around. It is hard to beat a hands on deal before you pony up the money. I am 222 fan myself .
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/01/17
I've sent two emails in the last few days. No reply.

In the same time frame I've both sent and received phone messages and emails from various other businesses and individuals, so I think my lines are open. crazy

Here's hoping for a good week.

Posted By: Owl Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/01/17
I bought a Remington 700 in .222 about 6 months ago. It was made in 1967.

Pretty nice little rifle. And a shooter too. Came some hand loads that are scary accurate for and completely stock 1967 factory original rifle.

The guy that owned the rifle had passed away and his son was selling to raise some money for his widowed mother. He was asking $500, which I gladly gave. Came with some hand loads the man had worked up for the rifle.

Top group were his loads. Bottom group were from a newly purchased box of Federal.

Arrgghhhh.... Why can't I get these things to post preperly today ???

[img]http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/b...0700%20222%20Remington?sort=3&page=1[/img]

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/02/17
I sent Sauer a link to this thread, maybe they'll be interested in finding out that unresolved customer complaints will cost them money.

Maybe they don't GAS. I suspect the latter.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/05/17
They want me to send the gun back to them to work on it. I suggested they send me a magazine to try before I go to the expense to ship both ways and receive from my FFL, for a total of $140 or so. That's adding 20% to the cost of the gun!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/07/17
If they don't want to send you a magazine tell em to send you a shipping label.

Manufacturer's warranty dept/licensed gunsmith can ship directly to the owner. No FFL required. BTDT
Posted By: repairman Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/08/17
What's the latest on this? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/08/17
Originally Posted by repairman
What's the latest on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's convoluted. It shouldn't have been at all, it's a simple warranty issue.

I never heard from Sauer after sending 5 emails. You draw your own conclusions about that.

I called the phone number provided by a campfire member for Blaser USA. There is no contact information for Blaser USA in any of my Sauer paperwork. There is no mention of Blaser USA being the importer. I didn't know Blaser USA existed let alone that Blaser USA is responsible for the warranty work on this Sauer rifle. Critical piece of information, no?

Blaser USA was butthurt I was trashing them on the internet. I didn't say one bad word about Blaser USA or it's representatives, I didn't know they existed until I was given the phone number here. I was simply wondering what it would take to get Sauer to respond to my request for help via email. *There is no other way provided to contact Sauer in the paperwork or on their website.

After quite a bit of back and forth and some condescending replies from Blaser USA about how I couldn't afford the $15-20 to ship it back to them, they agreed to send me a shipping label to send the gun back for warranty service. I won't detail the rest of the communication, but because there was much butthurt, things went poorly.

I ship the rifle out soon. When I get it back I will probably sell it to avoid dealing with Sauer and Blaser USA ever again. Life's too short.

Posted By: Blackheart Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/08/17
A guy I work with was hot to buy one of these Sauer's. I directed him to this thread. Sauer/Blaser lost another sale.
Posted By: repairman Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/08/17
You are right it is a simple warranty issue. I've had numerous dealings with these folks at Blaser and have had nothing but good results. Just so everyone reading this thread knows, Blaser,Mauser, Sauer and Rigby are imported and distributed by Blaser USA in San Antonio Texas. All of these brands are warrantied for 10 years whether there is a warranty card or not in the box. That warranty also includes the accuracy.
I think a question at the start of this about warranty info would have yielded some instant info on where to send the rifle for repair. The importer is also listed on the receiver as well.
I also would never not buy anything based on one guys issues, especially one that shoots this well.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/09/17
I just bought a Magnum Research .22 magnum. I read the book cover to cover. It wasn't ten pages of lawyer talk and disclaimers, it was mostly about how to keep the gun clean and functioning. They even explained how the firearm functions in detail and how the firing sequence works. They gave tips on ammunition, troubleshooting info, how the pressure curve of a 17hmr varies from a 22 mag, etc etc etc.
At the end there was lots of explanation of how their warranty works, where to send it, who to contact and how, including phone numbers. Talk about a HUGE contrast! This is a company that takes their customers satisfaction seriously.

I've been around the block a time or two, I know what sheit looks like when I see it, and I know what customer service looks like.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/10/17
Of repairman's whopping 3 posts, two are on this thread and the last is on a Blaser thread.

I'm sure there's nothing there...
Posted By: repairman Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/10/17
If the amount of posts I've made is how you judge credibility, well so be it. If what I have posted on is used as the same guage, well so what.
I just find it hard to believe that a rational thinking person can go from having a great shooting rifle to wanting to cut it into pieces within 2 days because there was no warranty card or reply from Germany within the same time frame.
I am somewhat partial to those brands because the make excellent firearms. I own some of them. Had a M03 that had a magazine issue. That rifle was a 4000 dollar beauty. Had to wait about 3 weeks for a replacement mag since there were none in stock at the time. Wasn't a huge deal and was all taken care of. Sheit happens.
I've also been around the block more times than I like and one thing I've learned is you can create your own drama or you can work with people and get things done a whole lot easier.And yes I know that works both ways.

And Sauers solution to "working with people" is to NOT provide warranty service centers contact information with their new rifles, so yeah, that's a bit frustrating. Kind of difficult to have a dialog when there's no one on the other end. So, I didn't have anybody to "work with" until I was told about Blaser USA, right here.

And they're not a lot of fun. I was told by Blaser that the owners manual enclosed with the Sauer rifles are useless for the USA. That's good to know but not really helpful.

But you're right, I'm wrong. I should have done something different. As far as the drama, yep, treat your customers poorly and expect blowback.

There is enough wrong to go around on this whole fiasco. I would bet there will be a better effort to provide a much improved warranty informational in the future.
I do know your rifle will be in top working order when you get it back. It would be a shame to not keep shooting it since it shoots so well. What were the loads you fired in the 200 yard group?
BTW cool paint job.
Thank you for the effort at diplomacy, however I am curious what you think I did wrong.

Hey, my only regret is ever buying the damn thing. I didn't ask for the aggravation ya know?

25 grains BLC2 moly coated Hornady 50 gr VMax
Never said you did anything wrong per say. I was just amazed at how quickly you went into being so angry and posting some erroneous info regarding the fees and having to go through another background check, etc. Sure it would have helped if a warranty card or other info was in the box or owners manual. I just have trouble understanding how it can make you completely regret buying a good rifle that is a great shooter. I get it that it is somewhat irritating and frustrating, btdt.
I just wouldn't let it ruin my having some fun with the rifle in the future.
If you get it back and still don't want it, let me know, I would be interested in it.
Originally Posted by repairman
Never said you did anything wrong per say. I was just amazed at how quickly you went into being so angry and posting some erroneous info regarding the fees and having to go through another background check, etc. Sure it would have helped if a warranty card or other info was in the box or owners manual. I just have trouble understanding how it can make you completely regret buying a good rifle that is a great shooter. I get it that it is somewhat irritating and frustrating, btdt.
I just wouldn't let it ruin my having some fun with the rifle in the future.
If you get it back and still don't want it, let me know, I would be interested in it.

Make an offer.
Posted By: verns Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/10/17
It is easy for me to to understand the disappointment here. Gosh can't the maker take a few minutes out of their day to see if what they made really works ? That is why we buy a rifle .As for the reps here in the USA they should be yanking on somebodies chain at Sauer.
I can send this rifle straight to repairman's FFL since he's so confident in Sauer. Make you a hell of a deal.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/10/17
Fireball2, If the rifle was functioning correctly would you want to keep it? I was at Blaser today and will get in touch with their gunsmith Monday, if it would help.
I'm waiting for FFL information from Blaser or it would have been gone already. Be glad to send it to repairman. Or anyone else for that matter.
I can bracket the .222, but I am looking to fill the gap smile

Krico .223

[Linked Image]

Sako .221

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/11/17
$450 and I'll send it in for you, it's all double boxed and ready to go. You pay to ship it to your FFL when it's repaired, either from here or if they'll do it, directly from Blaser USA.

There you go repairman, chance of a lifetime.
That should quiet the chatter.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/11/17

2+ full pages of posts. You have 28 of them.

Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

It's cheaper than therapy. And more effective.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/11/17
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

It's cheaper than therapy. And more effective.

well played, Sir. Well played.
Posted By: repairman Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/12/17
I'll take it. Tell me where to send the 450.
Thanks!
BTW you don't need their FFL to send it in for repair. Did they send you the address and shipping label?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 02/12/17
Win/win. PM sent.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 03/03/17
Blaser USA said the rifle had a magazine issue (yeah, no [bleep]) and now "it feeds as well as it was designed to", whatever that is. I did sell it to repairman and replaced it with an Anschutz 153 and a Remington 660. grin 50 years ago they actually designed actions around cartridges. What a concept.
Posted By: kingston Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 03/03/17
Looking forward to hear if they fixed it. Hopefully Repairman will post his findings. I was all ready to order one of these before things went sideways.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sauer 100 .222 - 03/03/17
My guess is that repairman works for Blaser as he lives nearby.
© 24hourcampfire