Home
Posted By: dennisinaz Hunting license required? - 02/24/17
Is a hunting license required to shoot coyotes in Montana and Wyoming? Many states do not require it but some do. Making a road trip to Montana next week and might want to take a rifle if I can slip out and call coyotes a couple of times.
No licence needed in Montana.

Come on out, we are covered up with the damn things.
Posted By: Owl Re: Hunting license required? - 02/24/17
Dennis, No license in Utah or Wyoming either. Nor in New Mexico.
Posted By: drover Re: Hunting license required? - 02/24/17
The only thing to be aware of is the requirement of a Conservation License if you are shooting on state school trust lands, they are checkerboarded throughout Montana. So many times when you think you are on BLM, Forest Service, or even private land it may be a block of state school trust land you are actually on.

Type of License/ Permit
License Specifics
Deadline/ Availability
Res Cost
Nonres Cost
State Lands Recreation
Required for recreational use on state school trust lands.The State Lands Recreation License is included in the Montana Conservation License specifically for the purpose of hunting, fishing, and/or trapping (HFT). All other recreational use on state school trust lands requires the State Lands Recreation License. Youth 12-17 and 60+ pay half price ($5). Families, up to 5 members living in the same household, pay $20.
OTC
$10
$10
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/predatorShooting.html

Recreational Shooting of Predators

Search FWP
Go
Site Index >>
Feedback
Montana statute classifies predators as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk). Predator shooting is not regulated by federal or state law or regulation. Predators can be shot in Montana year-round without a license by both resident and nonresident hunters. A Conservation License, or a state school trust lands recreational use license, is required to shoot predators on state school trust lands. Permission must be obtained to shoot predators on private land.
Nonresidents are required to purchase a Nonresident Trapping License to take nongame or predatory species using traps and/or snares. See the Deer, Elk and Antelope regulations below for more information about take of predatory species.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Owl
Dennis, No license in Utah or Wyoming either. Nor in New Mexico.

As far as NM is concerned, no lic. is required for residents of the state. Non residents must buy at least a small game license and the applicable public land access stamps.

Not sure about the other states.
Dennisinaz: My friend from the west coast came to visit me last week here in SW Montana and we Hunted Coyotes on four days.
We saw 10 (ten) Coyotes and my friend also harvested the first Fox of his Hunting career.
Under "normal" (a bit earlier in the winter) circumstances we should have seen more Coyotes but the mating/denning season is starting and they are a bit rarer to come across now (next week)!
In four days of Hunting and travel (up to 160 miles a day) we came across NO Game Wardens or Law Enforcement Officers at all.
Use caution to stay off of private property without permission - other than that you should be good to go.
DON'T shoot a Bobcat as you need a Trappers License to take furbearers and I do not believe non-residents can obtain a Montana Trappers license.
Enjoy the late winter time in Montana.
Good luck and drive careful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire