Home
Posted By: killahog Only killing male squirrels - 09/05/23
I have come across something odd this year, I have been out three times hunting the same woods and have killed 11 squirrel, and every one has been a male. It is very warm for September here in Ohio and I have shot every one of them cutting hickory. Strange coincidence or did I stumble into a gay woods for squirrels .
Tree Rat Sausage Fest! That is odd...
Posted By: MOGC Re: Only killing male squirrels - 09/05/23
Maybe the ladies are too afraid to dine in that neighborhood? Sounds like it might be pretty rough on a girl that strayed into that hickory grove.
Transgender
How is the Hickory crop in your area this year?.....Hb
I think it is an average year.
Thanks ..I will be in Southern Ohio squirrel hunting the last week of September and have not gotten any mast reports from that area yet...Hb
I have noticed the Mast can very in Ohio in a relatively short distance , what County will you be hunting?
Adams and Sciota Co. and might hunt in Pike Co. one morning.....Hb
[img]http://[img]https://i.postimg.cc/CM4cRLSV/IMG-4993.jpg[/img][/img]

So far I have shot 14 males, I figured the odds of that are 8126-1 . Something just odd about that
You do say your hunt in Ohio, odds are in favor of the gay woods.
I try like hell to avoid killing the big nutted bastards. Takes time to identify and really limits how many I kill but I am fine with that.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I try like hell to avoid killing the big nutted bastards. Takes time to identify and really limits how many I kill but I am fine with that.
. I sometimes pass on them but I plan on canning these so I don’t think they will taste any different .
Originally Posted by Region6
You do say your hunt in Ohio, odds are in favor of the gay woods.
. I guess I better stay out of there the potential exists I could cut myself and become [bleep] by the blood transfer .
Originally Posted by killahog
. I sometimes pass on them but I plan on canning these so I don’t think they will taste any different .
👍🏻
So, where do you find a place to hunt them in Ohio if you don't know a landowner? Does ohio have any public land?
Originally Posted by killahog
They're all good in a pot of squirrel gravy and dumplins. I use the young of the year for frying, the rest go in gravy.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Only killing male squirrels - 09/19/23
You know how to tell if a squirrel in top of a tree is male or female?

You shake the tree and listen for the nuts to rattle.
Originally Posted by DonFischer
So, where do you find a place to hunt them in Ohio if you don't know a landowner? Does ohio have any public land?

Don, There is good public hunting in Ohio one place I hunt is near the town on Nellie its on state route 715 and is called Mohawk Dam recreational area. If you want to try it out PM me and I can give you some directions .
This reminds me of a joke my grandpa told me as a kid.
He said “ you know they changed the law, your only allowed to shoot male squirrels this year” as a kid I thought about it and asked “how are you supposed to know male squirrels from the females? “ he said “ you shake the tree and listen for they’re nuts rattling.” Then he laughed and took a sip of his beer.
That’s “nuts”. 😁😁
Posted By: glosto Re: Only killing male squirrels - 11/26/23
When i was growing up squirrel hunting my dad would tell us to shake the tree before we shot. If nuts rattle just move on. My mother would grade the squirrels we brought in and mark them as fryers or dumplings before she froze them but we preferred fried with cathead biscuits and gravey.
Originally Posted by glosto
When i was growing up squirrel hunting my dad would tell us to shake the tree before we shot. If nuts rattle just move on. My mother would grade the squirrels we brought in and mark them as fryers or dumplings before she froze them but we preferred fried with cathead biscuits and gravey.

Fried, with biscuits and gravy is some fine groceries.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Only killing male squirrels - 11/29/23
Stud….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Only killing male squirrels - 11/29/23
Interesting. In two main areas I frequent we have been seeing more bucks than doe this year.

Definitely not the norm. Not close to it.
Just me- I only shoot the squirrels that
have a bushy tail
The rest get a pass
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That Sig is amazing I really like the grip. I would have a hard time laying it down on the blacktop for a picture.
© 24hourcampfire