Home
Posted By: MOGC Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/20/23
Took my 8-year-old grandson squirrel hunting. His first squirrel...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We took our squirrels to the creek to clean them. He can't resist looking for crawdads...

The ride home...

Good place for him to be, out in the woods.

Seems so many have given up in small game. 48 now and my buddy and I still love to get after them when we can.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/20/23
This is FANTASTIC!

I'm not exaggerating even a little when I say my first squirrel changed my life.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/20/23
Super. I'd like to see more kids involved in small game hunting. Seems like it is lost in today's world. Squirrel hunting is still one of my favorite things to do. Good on you for taking him.
Good for you for taking him. I hope he becomes a lifelong hunter and shooter. We need to pass our traditions down.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/20/23
good deal grandpa , nothing like time with the grandbratts/kids
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/21/23
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is FANTASTIC!

I'm not exaggerating even a little when I say my first squirrel changed my life.

Me too. I remember it like it was yesterday. Crosman 760 in my back yard. When that squirrel pitched off that tree limb, I felt like I had killed a Marco Polo ram.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/21/23
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is FANTASTIC!

Me too. I remember it like it was yesterday. Crosman 760 in my back yard. When that squirrel pitched off that tree limb, I felt like I had killed a Marco Polo ram.

Yep when my first one hit the hit, I knew I had found my calling .
Posted By: killahog Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/21/23
He will remember the this long after you are gone.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/21/23
Thanks guys. He is my little buddy. He likes to hang out with me and I always have an open seat in the truck for him. That is my daughter and son-in-law's boy. My son-in-law is a great dad and likes to hunt and fish too. Plus my son, the uncle, takes him fishing and has introduced him to archery. So the little man is a lucky kid with a great family and a ton of support. He is obsessed with the outdoors, football, and baseball. He has a sharp wit and sense of humor and I don't think I have ever seen him in a bad mood. That goofy grin is always on his face and it is so satisfying watching him grow into a young man. Life is good.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/21/23
you are welcome MOGC ,there is all ways time for the grand kids ,just wish mine lived closer
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/22/23
Originally Posted by MOGC
Thanks guys. He is my little buddy. He likes to hang out with me and I always have an open seat in the truck for him. That is my daughter and son-in-law's boy. My son-in-law is a great dad and likes to hunt and fish too. Plus my son, the uncle, takes him fishing and has introduced him to archery. So the little man is a lucky kid with a great family and a ton of support. He is obsessed with the outdoors, football, and baseball. He has a sharp wit and sense of humor and I don't think I have ever seen him in a bad mood. That goofy grin is always on his face and it is so satisfying watching him grow into a young man. Life is good.

Good kids are products of a good family upbringing. Be glad youโ€™re able to enjoy them, they grow up fast.
You tell him โ€œatta boyโ€ from the campfire crew!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right there is a sure fire way to raise kids the right way! Introduce them to the outdoors with the proper training in good safe firearms handling including hunting and shooting along with Fishing. Enjoy your time with your Grandson as we need more of this!!!IMO!

HS 58
Posted By: jc189 Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 09/23/23
Good job Grandpa. He will always remember his first Squirrel hunt with you. I am 66 years old and still remember my first Squirrel hunt with my grandfather. That's the way to teach him and pass it on. My 8 year old grandson went on his first Squirrel hunt last year. It was a great experience for all. He was able to get his first pig about a month later. I'm hoping he will get his first WT Deer this season. he's shooting my 223 and 6.5 grendel pretty good. He's ready.
Keep up the good work. Looking forward to some more pictures of your little Buddy getting it done in the woods. Good Luck to the both of you.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/04/23
Quick fishing trip...

Posted By: MOGC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/04/23
AND... his dad bought him a new Rossi .410 shotgun. He is gonna be a squirrel hunter in a big way now!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/05/23
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: MOGC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/07/23
His dad took him on his first deer hunt and he scored on a nice doe. This hunt is a 3 day antlerless hunt. He did good, heart shot with a .243 100 gr. Hornady Interlock at 70 yards.

Posted By: colodog Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/07/23
Wow, he's living the dream now!

Well done young hunter!

P.S.The picture of him sleeping in the truck is hilarious.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/07/23
That boys on a roll good stuff ๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: MOGC Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by colodog

Well done young hunter!

He was pretty tired. What you can't see is that he is sitting there in his underwear. He got his pants, socks, and boots soaking wet wading around in the creek and they were uncomfortable when he got out of the water. We stripped those off and he rode home just like the picture shows. He is all boy, no doubt.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 10/12/23
Originally Posted by colodog

Well done young hunter!

I got a chuckle out of that one tooโ€ฆ. Was he snoring? ๐Ÿคฃ Donโ€™t let him live that down. ๐Ÿ˜
Posted By: Chapoosa Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 11/26/23
Good stuff.
Posted By: BKS Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 12/20/23
AWESOME!!
And another lifetime Hunter is Born!

Merry Christmas to you and your handsome Grandson cool
Posted By: 1minute Re: Grandson squirrel hunt... - 01/01/24
Late chiming in, but good for you. Keep those traditions alive.
© 24hourcampfire