Home
Posted By: Tackdriver22250 Small game knife? - 10/20/08
Hopefully this doesn't get moved to the knives forum, but I am looking for a small game knife and was wondering what everyone was using.
Posted By: GPA Re: Small game knife? - 10/20/08
Three blade medium stockman (under 4") with Turkish clip, sheepfoot, and spey blades.
Posted By: Bustingclay Re: Small game knife? - 10/20/08
Originally Posted by GPA
Three blade medium stockman (under 4") with Turkish clip, sheepfoot, and spey blades.

+1
You just can't beat a good old Case XX Medium stockman. I never leave home without one and have a few in the safe for my little guy when he gets old enough.
The only thing I will add is that a small fixed blade will be a little easier to clean than the stockman.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Small game knife? - 10/20/08
I've always prefered a small pair of shears and the little fixed blade "Woodswalker" from AG Russell.
Posted By: kpp80202 Re: Small game knife? - 10/22/08
I like the CRKT Falcon fixed blade "neck" knife. It is small, can be worn on a chain around the neck or on the belt, and has a nice curved blade for skinning. But really, anything from one of those Opinel wooden handle knives to the high $$$ knives work well so long as the blade is curved and isn't too long.
Posted By: GPA Re: Small game knife? - 10/22/08
Curved blade??.....As in curved like a big game skinning knife? Never thought such a blade would work very well for small game.
Posted By: In2b8u Re: Small game knife? - 10/22/08
David Winston Knives David Winston Knives
The model 21 small game with bone breaker notch. Top shelf knife and will do everything in the eastern woods. Great guy to deal with and his work is outstanding.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Small game knife? - 10/23/08
Dozier Canoe Knife, Semi-Skinner, Arkansas Traveler, or Sweetwater Guides Knife. Basically under three inch blades, thin, high grinds that cut like nothing else, handles that feel like a natural extension of your fingers and are nimble and sure.
Posted By: kevmullins Re: Small game knife? - 10/23/08
Cold Steel Pendleton mini hunter....great small fixed blade knife...
Posted By: kpp80202 Re: Small game knife? - 10/23/08
To GPA--I mean curved like a drop point or spear point (vs. a Tanto like straightish blade), not curved like a scimitar, if that's how it sounded.
Posted By: antlers Re: Small game knife? - 10/23/08
I like the Mikro-Canadian from Bark River Knife and Tool.
Posted By: Dew Re: Small game knife? - 11/03/08
Stockman pattern three blade. I'm carrying a made in England from way back called the I-XL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM made in Sheffield. I would say it is about equal to the Case of the same size. One thing about knives... NO STAINLESS for me. I've got a Buck (American made stockman, not the China Bucks) that is the hardest thing in the world to sharpen. Give me a good carbon steel knife blade.
Posted By: Joshua_M_Smith Re: Small game knife? - 11/03/08
I use a small hatchet (and I do mean small - it has a knife edge and the whole body is no thicker than a knife) and, sometimes, a small fillet knife. Usually it's just the hatchet though as it can be used as a knife.

Josh <><
Posted By: blammer Re: Small game knife? - 11/09/08
I use my pocket knife. smile

a Case Leopard if I recall right
Posted By: atavist Re: Small game knife? - 11/10/08
Charles may Trace and/ or Woodswalker from A. G.
© 24hourcampfire