Home
Posted By: SCGunNut My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/25/10
Shot this black fox squirrel yesterday. He's totally black except for a little white on the nose. He's not as big as the "panda squirrel" I killed last season (in the 2nd photo)but this is my first all black one so he'll go on the wall next to the others. I killed him within a stone's throw of the tree that produced the other one last year. I've seen a few other black squirrels in the past but never while I was actually squirrel hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/25/10
Veddy cool.... cool

I kept a pic of that Panda squirrel, I thought he was so unique...

Ingwe
Posted By: BMT Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/26/10
Nice Savage 24

BMT
SC, congrats on a cool trophy and a very nice 24D. Looks like a 20 guage, curious if it's a 22 mag or a 22 LR.
The panda looks a lot like a fox squirrel I see in southern VA. Never saw any that were black with a white nose. Is it possible that the black is a color variant of a gray or is it also a fox. I ask, because we have black gray squirrels in northern PA, but they are all black. Our fox squirrels are have more reddish and yellowish tones with a lot of gray.
Bfly
Posted By: Dogger Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/28/10
Awesome squirrels! Makes me want to get out in the squirrel woods!!
Posted By: blairvt Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/28/10
here are some fox squirrels i got with a friend several years back. For some reason this farm has lots of big, multi-colored squirrels. We don't shoot many of them, just on a special occasion
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 10/30/10
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
SC, congrats on a cool trophy and a very nice 24D. Looks like a 20 guage, curious if it's a 22 mag or a 22 LR.
The panda looks a lot like a fox squirrel I see in southern VA. Never saw any that were black with a white nose. Is it possible that the black is a color variant of a gray or is it also a fox.

It's a .22 Mag. The black one is/was a fox squirrel, just not quite full grown.
Posted By: GullaBoy Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 11/09/10
very nice SC squirrel. what part of the state?
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 11/10/10
Originally Posted by Lab
very nice SC squirrel. what part of the state?

Lee County, between Camden & Bishopville.
For some reason, Council Bluffs, IA, is home to a lot of black fox squirrels, but just across the Missouri River in Omaha, NE, they aren't nearly as common. 'Saw a white squirrel on the Mall in Washington, DC, during our family trip in 10/09.

Jeff
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
'Saw a white squirrel on the Mall in Washington, DC, during our family trip in 10/09.

Jeff

My daughter went on her 8th grade class trip to D.C. last spring and reported that she saw an albino squirrel on the Main Mall! I bet it was the same one!
...small world.

Dan
That is cool I can not say that I have seen a "panda" squirrel
I saw a Panda type squirrel 2 years ago in northern Michigan, he was a fox squirrel but was black where he should have been orange, saw him bowhunting a few times I looked for him with the 22 a few times but never could find him!
Posted By: ingwe Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 11/28/10
Heres another pic of that panda squirrel he posted last year. Told ya I thought it was so cool I kept it!! laugh

[Linked Image]
Cool tree rats. We have fox squirrels around here and this year there have been a bunch of black and grey ones running around. after deer season ends on new years day, its time to give the rats a hard time. And coyotes.
For Whatever It's Worth Department

Marysville, Kansas, located at the intersection of US 36 Hwy and US 77 Hwy, has long publicized itself as "The Black Squirrel City" because it has a large stable population of the little rascals.
Fox Squirrels are all but gone in Florida. They have been on the endangered list for years, and you hardly ever see one.
SCGunNut,
Do you have any pictures of your squirrel mounts? These are so cool looking. I'm curious how they turned out.

Thanks,

Ryan
SC: I have one of those Panda squirrels on a piece of property I lease for deer hunting, I have seen him several times over the past couple of years while deer hunting. I have never seen him while carrying my .22 actually squirrel hunting. I also have a couple of the russet colored fox squirrels there as well.

I think the reason I don't see them when squirrel hunting is because they seem to be active later in the day than the grays.

I'm in upstate SC and fox squirrels are quite rare in this area. Send me a PM if you are interested in trying for the "tree rats" up here.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 12/22/10
>>Do you have any pictures of your squirrel mounts? These are so cool looking. I'm curious how they turned out.

Haven't got the black one back yet but will post a pic of him and his wall mates when I get him back. I've about given up on ever shooting another mountable deer but at least I'll have a wall full of squirrels!

>>I think the reason I don't see them when squirrel hunting is because they seem to be active later in the day than the grays.

I think that's right because I shot the black one and the "panda" one at about 3:00 in the afternoon between deer hunts.

The funny thing about squirrels is how the color can vary from area to area, even for the same sub-species.

In Michigan, our Eastern Fox squirrels are a redish-tan statewide.

Our Eastern Gray squirrels are either gray, sometimes with a bit of tan, or jet black depending on the ratio of beech/birch in the area they live.

My daughter graduated from Michigan Tech in Houghton a few years ago. They have a pocket of pure white Eastern Grays, which only makes sense because Houghton/Hancock has an average snowfall of over 200" between October and May each year.

Posted By: iambrb Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 12/28/10
SCGunut,

i live in the upstate, in Greenwood, and at one time, our local school Lander, had a very large populace of albino squirrels, around 30 plus in the 80's, but I think that they all but died out....not sure why.

After only 26 years, I have 'old trusty,' my gran-pap's old Columbia single shot 12 ga. one-shooter all prepped and ready to roll, gonna bowl over a few grays while I do some after season deer scouting!
Posted By: Cigar Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 12/30/10
Panda Squirrel= Why Cool...

We have a few spots in Md that Black Squirrels are abundant..
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 01/13/11
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
SCGunNut,
Do you have any pictures of your squirrel mounts? These are so cool looking. I'm curious how they turned out.

Got the black one back today:
[Linked Image]

And here's "Panda" from last year:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 01/13/11
SWEET!

Dood..you are the squirrel God in my book! laugh
We don't have fox squirrels where I live. I love to squirrel hunt and have since I was a kid. I have hunted with Hayward Simmons at Cedar Knoll a few times there in South Carolina. The deer hunting there is excellent and the woods are FULL of fox squirrels of various colors.

BTW, your fox squirrel mounts are really nice.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 01/14/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
SWEET!

Dood..you are the squirrel God in my book! laugh

Watch out, you'll give me a big head! It's kind of pathetic when I think about it. I have scores of exotic rifles for every animal on this planet and all I have to show for it is a wall full of squirrels. Oh, I've got a half dozen nice bucks on the wall but I haven't killed or even seen a mountable deer in years and I have neither the time nor funds to go on out of state big game hunts. I've been on one Maine bear hunt and two paid hog hunts here in S.C. and didn't kill sh*t on any of them. But I'm pure poison on them fox squirrels! And of course my wife absolutely L-O-V-E-S it when I hang another squirrel on the wall! "Squirrel God", I kind of like the sound of that. Thinking about getting that tatooed on my arm.....
Posted By: BrentD Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 01/14/11
You should really consider a road trip to Arizona for Aberts/Tassel-ear squirrels. It would be worth the trip. Handsome big dudes they are too. Every bit as handsome as eastern fox squirrels and then some.
Awesome pictures everyone, Keep them coming. I might have to chime in.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Fox Squirrels are all but gone in Florida.

Have noticed the same here in my neck of the city....uh, I mean woods. Can't figure it out.
SCGunNut,
I have watched two black fox squirrels on my happy hunting grounds for years. First saw them in 1987. Can't bring myself to shoot them. I have had many opportunities.

The Panda looks like a simple crossbreed, Red Fox & Black Fox.
Originally Posted by saddlering
I saw a Panda type squirrel 2 years ago in northern Michigan, .... saw him ...a few times but never could find him!

Did you look in the bamboo? grin
Posted By: SUGV1 Re: My 2010 "Trophy" Squirrel - 01/17/11
Any squirrel dog hunters here from the north AL area?
© 24hourcampfire