Home
Posted By: HaYen pigeon population solution - 05/08/11
More of a question. So I've tried the spikes, they walk around them. I've tried the pigeon repellent (the sticky stuff), the Arizona heat melts it and it runs down my tiles like molasses. Tried the air rifle and taking out one or two doesn't seem to deter the rest (plus its highly illegal to fire any projectile in the air in my neck of the wood, so I make sure I connect).

I found that if I can strategically locate the male in a breeding pair, the female moves on (like in the human population).

ANY OTHER TIPS? PLEASE.
Posted By: ingwe Re: pigeon population solution - 05/08/11
If you know where they habitually roost, paint the surface with Warbex... whistle ( So long as no other critters get near it...)
Where do you get Warbex, feed stores? I don't see much info about it, but I have the same problem with "moaning" doves down here.
Posted By: ingwe Re: pigeon population solution - 05/08/11
Yep...farm and ranch supply..be careful handling it...
Posted By: HaYen Re: pigeon population solution - 05/09/11
Hahaha!!! I know where those little B's roost. My neighbor (1 behind 2 to the East) feeds them and allows them to hang around. I think I need to contact the City.

Thanks
Ingwe
Posted By: Sponxx Re: pigeon population solution - 05/10/11
if you can get an owl decoy or a snake, they dont like them... of course then you might get crows attacking them!
Posted By: rob p Re: pigeon population solution - 05/11/11
My cousin had pigeons on his roof. A couple days with the Beeman sorted them out and they haven't been back. I would sit in his barn and roll them off the roof. He had fishing line on little rods along the peak so they couldn't stand on it, but they still stood everywhere else. If your roof is steep, line on the peak might work. Wire if it gets too hot for line, but if you have flats nails through some thin plywood would be the only thing short of sniping them, I think.
Contact a local bird dog training club, most members are quite happy to come & trap out pigeons. (I have done it several times!)
Posted By: RDW Re: pigeon population solution - 05/23/11
Do ya'll eat them?
Posted By: POJV Re: pigeon population solution - 05/24/11
Since I got in trouble with my air rifle, ( hell I was killing pigeons with the old Benjamin before this cop�s parents were out of diapers) I went to a soft air pistol and it took a few evening of being persistence but was able to convince them they did not wish to roost at my house. I had another neighbor ask what I was doing and he went and purchased one also they still roost as 2 other neighbors but that is their issue.
Phil
Posted By: fyshbum Re: pigeon population solution - 05/24/11
Originally Posted by zodiakgsps
Contact a local bird dog training club, most members are quite happy to come & trap out pigeons. (I have done it several times!)

Absolutely,

I used to trap them around the boatyards around here. Everybody is happy, accept the birds, ofcourse. Great birds for training. NAVHDA members in your area should have significant interest. Traps are pretty cheap if you wanted to trap them yourself, then have somebody come pick them up.

I go so far back that I remember when the city of Washington, DC wanted hunters to come into the city to shoot the pigeons!
My dad used to shoot them off the Va Tech campus when he was in college there.
Originally Posted by RDW
Do ya'll eat them?

I have never eaten them, but my Uncle who raised them for years has and likes them -Squab. When we do shoot a number of them over the dogs, I will clean them, boil them down & feed to the dogs, hate to waste anything.....
Visit the link in order to control population of pigeons:

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-pigeons.htm
The air rifle sounds like the most amusing method, and if they keep coming back? Well then you have a new hobby! Of course you have to be stealthy about it but consider it a challenge.
crow decoy doesn't work....pellet gun does....don't ask how I know but I do!
© 24hourcampfire