Home
I shot this squirrel on January 31st. That was the very last day of the Ohio squirrel season. The day was warm, (about 60 out) and quit breezy. This squirrel turned out to be quit a memorial and emotional harvest for me.
I have a friend who is terminally ill, and on Hospice care. He has many things wrong with his health, including COPD, Lupus, Chrones disease, conj. heart failure, high blood pressure, and several other problems. He and I have been friends for over 45 years. He's always loved to hunt and fish and loved the outdoors. All that changed when he became ill. He has no one, and he lives alone. A couple of years ago while I was visiting him, he brought out his favorite ole squirrel rifle, an old Remington model 513 with a 6X Weaver D6 scope on it. He said, "here, my huntin days are over, and I want you to have my squirrel rifle." Wow! I was really touched as I accepted, telling him that I'd use it to kill a squirrel some day. Making a long story short, I took it to the woods on that balmy day on Jan. 31, and was lucky enough to get a big fat fox squirrel with 'his' gun. I couldn't wait to get home to call him about the hunt. I could almost hear him rise out of his chair as I told him the story. Felt good to hear the joy in his voice. I skinned the squirrel, got a 5X7 picture and frame, clued the empty .22 shell to the picture frame and gave it to him today. Should of seen the smile on his face. I also gave him the frozen skinned squirrel, which he really enjoys eating... Was glad to be able to get a squirrel with his rifle and let him know about it. In 2011, I had a great year in the field. I shot two turkeys, three deer, (including a nice 9 pt. buck) over 150 groundhogs, and several rabbits and squirrel, and that last day squirrel meant more to me than ALL the other hunting successes put together. I've never had a more rewarding and satisfying hunt. That little squirrel has no idea the joy he brought to my good friend. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! [Linked Image]
Now there is a great post. More hope for squirrel hunting and squirrel hunters than I ever thought.

Nice rifle and a great thing to do for your friend. I wish him the best of luck.

Brent
Good on you....
That, is truly something.

Well done.
Good to know small game hunting still means something to folks. Well done.

Ella
Thanks for sharing. Brought back a lot of memories of squirrel hunting with my deceased Dad. Your post caused me to go up on the attic and pull out the Ruger 10 22 he used for squirrels and gave to me over 35 years ago.

Given the voice of a day of chasing squirrels in hard wood stands or chasing elk and deer I would probably pick a squirrel hunt
Good on you, and what a wonderful story. Absolutely excellent!

maddog
Great Story!
Wonderful story!
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Great story! Id have to put the rifle in the field more!
... that's a huge red!

Excellent job on an excellent mission smile
Did your duty!
cool
Great story. Good on you for being a friend.
good job.
© 24hourcampfire