Home
Posted By: maddog Squirrel season starts....... - 08/10/12
next Wed., Aug. 15. If it's cool enough, I hope to get out and shoot a few "limb chickens". grin

maddog
I may ditch work that day and get after them as well. If I don't skip the whole day, I may just get after them that afternoon. Good times. I just wish the closest place for me to go wasn't 1hr away... frown
pointer, I'm lucky. I have about 12 different woods I can hunt within 10 minutes of home.

maddog
whats gonna be your go-to squirrel rifle/glass for opening?

noticed pecan crops lookin decent here, oaks are starting to show effects of drought.

First week of Sept here . They are already cutting the Hickory around my home.
Originally Posted by maddog
pointer, I'm lucky. I have about 12 different woods I can hunt within 10 minutes of home.

maddog
That is good luck!! I guess I need to get out and knock on some more doors, but about every woodlot around here has a house or two in them...
while deer hunting off a ladder stand last season..counted over 20 squirrles taking pecans out of small orchard...dang went back 1st of january and killed 14...hope to hunt it again..shoot them with a 22 mag in the head...dont have to chase them down...
I bought a little H&R Sportster single shot, last spring. I put a 2-7x nikon prostaff on it. Been shooting CCI SV LRs through it. It's going hunting first day out, but I have my old Marlin 39A as a backup. grin

maddog
pointer, picking up places to squirrel hunt, around me, is easy. Finding good places to deer hunt, not so much.... frown

maddog
Squirrel season opens the 4th Saturday in August in Tennessee. I've loved hunting squirrels since I was a kid and intend to be in the woods with my Kimber Hunter .22 rifle.
I bought a little H&R Sportster single shot, put a 2-7x nikon prostaff on it.
maddog

i'm using those 2x7's on 3 rimfires, and they work pretty good for my eyes.

pointer, picking up places to squirrel hunt, around me, is easy. Finding good places to deer hunt, not so much.... frown

maddog
That's a big 10-4!! Some folks act like your asking to eat their first born... wink

Good luck on Wednesday!
pointer, if I don't make it out Wed., I'm definately going out Thurs. BTW, where do you live? I'm located west of Monticello and the lakes.

maddog
Noblesville or more appropriately, the mess that is the subdivision "forest" that surrounds Indy.

I've been up in your neck of the woods quite a bit lately for work. I was on a couple of properties that border the Tippecanoe south of the lakes 3 weeks ago. Definitely lots of oaks to keep the squirrels happy!

If I don't get out this week, I will be taking my 5yo to our cabin near Patoka Lake this weekend and give it a go. I can't decide if I made a mistake telling him about it. He's worse now than he is before Christmas.
next Wed., Aug. 15. If it's cool enough, I hope to get out and shoot a few "limb chickens". grin

maddog

Save some for me Mike! laugh
ingwe, That compact Leopard hound you're training would be a perfect squirrel dog.
ingwe, gotta get me enough to make some "limb chicken chowder"! grin

maddog
im from southern indiana squirrel hunting there is great ive killed hundreds i envy yall up there huntign im stuck down here in north carolina and just dont c that many squirrels out here on the coast as ya do in the woods up there
but my squirrel gun is a marlin model 60 with a 4-32 bushnell its a killin machine
Been busy all week, but I'm leaving in about 1 hr. for my 1st squirrel hunt of the season. Temp is in the low 50's, and no wind. Wish me luck and I will report back later.

maddog
You suck! grin
Yes I do! grin Despite aches and pains, went out early. Sneaked up on my first of the year and....promptly missed him.

Went on to another woods, and redeemed my self with 2 head shots.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Yes...you do....
Went back out today. Saw 1 squirrel bouncing tree limbs at about 100+ yds. No shots. Seems to be plenty of mast, saw a lot of acorns and pignut hickory nuts on the ground, but not that many cuttings. This was at 2 new woods. Beginning to wonder about the local population this year. Next hunt is Tues., with my son.

maddog
Posted By: MOGC Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 08/20/12
My son and I went on the first squirrel hunt of the season so far this year. The temperatures dropped Saturday morning to 51 degrees and nearly zero wind. We hit an Ozark ridge and split up planning to meet about a half mile down the ridge. He went around one side and I skirted the other side of the ridge. There is a plentiful mast crop this year, lots of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, persimmons, and the squirrels have been making good use of them already. Cutting littered the ground and the bushy tails were swinging through the tops in decent numbers.

Those danged little grays in the early season just don�t sit still for no amount of time. My son was using a Ruger Deluxe Sporter 10/22 with a trigger job and I was using my old Ruger 77/22 stainless with the boat paddle synthetic stock with the green inserts. I killed seven with nine shots all of them headshot. My boy killed nine which about half were headshot and half shoulder shot. I ran across a bunch of turkey poults not much bigger than chickens, fun to see. I�ve been using sub-sonic hollow points the last couple of years and love them. They are fantastically accurate and make a nice �whack� when you thud one in a squirrel�s noggin. All in all a good day and we ended up with all young fry squirrels for a good future dinner.
You guys sure make me jealous. Without doubt my favorite hunting is squirrels. In Texas, with 95% of the land owned by private interest it seems, there is basically no where to go to hunt squirrels. Even the property that appears to be available will often be squatted by local rednecks.

I would pay good money to have a place to hunt squirrels. I don't think a better small game morsel exists.
Congrats maddog! I found a few, but getting shots with a 5yo in tow added a whole new level of difficulty. Hoping to get out some this weekend...
My son came up today, and we headed for the woods. My buddy gave us the ok to hunt. In my area it's mostly fox squirrels. On his property, he has grays, and pineys, as well as fox squirrels. Foggyer tha H, but we got out there about 8 am. Squirrels cutting everywhere! My son spent the morning trying to free hand shoot squirrels and ended up with 1. My decreped ole body slowed up and missed my 1st one, then shot 4. Three head shots, and a heart/lunger on a gray! Here's a coupla pics. Nicest morning I've spent in the woods in a long time!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn, I'm havin fun squill huntin'!

maddog
Posted By: Pugs Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 08/21/12
Very nice! Haven't seen a fox squirrel around here in years all we seem to have is grays. Season opens the 8th in WV and I'll be out at our camp on vacation smile
Go get um Pugs! Last year my son and I did a DG hunt in Zimbabwe. I shot a cape buff and a tuskless ele. It was fantastic, but I sure enjoyed today just squill huntin'. Amazing how a 61 yo. mind works......grin

maddog
woods are full of them here.. I usually blast a batch of them, just so they won't screw deer season...making too much racket..

I like using a light load in the walking varminter I have in 204, with a 34 gr HP out of the barrel at about 2000 fps..

yeah, its more than enough gun, but I feed the squirrels to a few of the neighborhood dogs...
Well, it's going to be a very hot weekend, again, here. I took off at day light this am, and headed to a little 6 acre patch I can hunt, along a ditch. It's full of hickories. Got in and got settled under a hickory, and set there for about an hr. Nada. Eased my way up the east side, and had one barking. Eased up within about 20 yds., and caught the little varmint out on a limb. POP! One in the bag. grin Went to the west side, and saw one jumping around up a big oak tree. The area was pretty open. Got within 50 yds. and let fly. No. 2 in the bag. Saw a couple others scampering thru the tree tops, but couldn't get to them. By now it was getting hot. Headed to the truck, cleaned them, and headed for home.

[Linked Image]

maddog
I may have to come back there, show up in person again, eat your steaks and drink your beer,and tell you how much you suck.... grin
Hey ingwe, the "bubba buddy" works just as well on my squill rifle as it did on my African gun.......grin

maddog
Looks classy too..... whistle
I happen to have a great start on my first hunt this year. Walked back behind my house into a 4 acre area with many hickories and oaks. Just happen to hit one hickory with 7 squirrels just cutting the nuts like nobodies business! The frags were falling like rain under this tree. I hadnt caught a moment like that in quite a long time! Awesome!

Took the limit of 5 out of that tree, starting from the bottom of the tree and working up, then headed to the house. 4 greys and one fox squirrel that was so big he was smoking a cigar and had a "mother" tatoo on his chest!

I am hunting with an old BRNO model #1 made in 1950, topped with a 45 yr old Redfield 2-7x33 scope.

Dave
Dave, sounds cool. Got any pics?
Originally Posted by ingwe
Looks classy too..... whistle

How bout a faux leopard print "bubba buddy", just for you..... wink grin

maddog
got one from another hunt..kinda old. but same rifle/scope. Some others added too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Dave, cool pics! Where do you live in IL.? I'm in NW IN., we don't have that many gray squirrels.

maddog
OH ingwe......just for you.....fried squirrel, gravy, and maters for dinner! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Went out myself the other day, forgot how much fun it is! When I was a kid I lived to go squirrel hunting. Gonna go a lot more from now on. Butch [Linked Image]
Way to go Butch! I'm having more fun, this year, chasing those little critters, than I have in 2 decades.

maddog
Rub it in.....
gravy and squirrel , making me hungry
Dave, cool pics! Where do you live in IL.? I'm in NW IN., we don't have that many gray squirrels.

maddog

I live in the Southern end. got both types around here. Seems right around me I have more greys that foxes.

Just noticed this week they are started cutting pecans.
dave

Here's another I took this am. Shoulda been three, but I can't shoot straight..... frown

[Linked Image]

maddog
OH ingwe......just for you.....fried squirrel, gravy, and maters for dinner! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
that looks awesome smile

Here's another I took this am. Shoulda been three, but I can't shoot straight..... frown

[Linked Image]

A Bubba-Buddy AND a Squirrel stringer! You are at the top of your game! laugh

Please don't post any more pics of them frying up....I can't handle it...

maddog
ingwe, I'm so impressed with that squirrel carrier, that I built one for my son. Now if I could just shoot a stringer full......grin

maddog
You suck....

Was going to squirrel hunt all labor day weekend[I'm batching it], but it looks like Issac is going to put a damper on that for a couple of days. frown

maddog
I got three grays this morning in NY. Shot a fourth that got hung up in a crotch on it's way down.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I got three grays this morning in NY. Shot a fourth that got hung up in a crotch on it's way down.

I recall one I shot that did the same years ago... I ended up popping it with about 4 rounds (in the head) before it finally toppled out of the tree. smile

Amazing what a guy recalls from old hunts. That hunt was probably 20 years ago.

dave

Posted By: Pugs Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/03/12
As I sit here waiting for the season in WV to start on the 8th I was watching a cooking show off the DVR and they had a recipe on wild duck tamale pie. Thought hmmm, that would work great for an older squirrel not suitable for frying.

I looked and this seems like the recipe closest to what I saw. http://pinchofyum.com/chicken-tamale-pie . What is not noted here is to do it in cast iron skillet and to preheat the cast iron to 400 for a while and you'll need to pressure cook the squirrels and part them out. I'm sure there's some other tweaks needed and I'll certainly add some onion and green peppers.

Chicken Tamale Pie

Author: Pinch of Yum, adapted from Cooking LightPrep time: 15 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 45 mins Serves: 8

Ingredients
1/3 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8.5 ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce � I recommend going with an authentic Mexican brand
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup shredded white cheese (I used Raclette � random, I know, but it�s what I had on hand, and it ended up being delicious!)
cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese for topping

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400�.

Combine the first 7 ingredients (milk through green chiles), using just 1/2 tablespoon of the taco seasoning, in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a round pie plate (mine was glass) coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 400� for 20-30 minutes.

While cornbread is baking, toss the chicken in the remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning.

When corn is done � it will be just barely set and golden brown � pierce entire surface liberally with a fork (it might stick a little bit to the fork).

Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 400� for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.

Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with cilantro and Cotija cheese.
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/03/12
Pugs,
Thanks for that recipe. I'm copying that for use coming up here.

Ella
Allen,

I think that squirrel would make that an even better recipe than chicken.

Now we just have to get that special ingredient!

Steve
Posted By: Pugs Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/05/12
Plan on making it out to camp next week to do some Steve. I'll reconnoiter, rifle in hand, Monday. grin
Allen,
Please let me know how your reconnoiter goes.

If you see a bunch of squirrels on Monday, you'll see me that week.

Steve
Haven't reported back for a few days. Hunted over Labor Day wknd, and didn't see much. Hot and windy. Did miss one....oh well. My son came up and we hunted tues. He did great, me not so much....frown. Heres a coupla pics of him and his take.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I went this am. It had cooled off, but was windy. Ran into this dummy and got lucky. Note the shears in the pic. Makes cleaning squirrels a lot easier.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Hard to tell if your son is using a Bubba Buddy...but I see hes got a squirrel stringer grin
Them stringers are SWEET!!! grin BTW, I LOVE my bubba buddy! whistle

maddog

Im gonna start feeding the local fox squirrels...
and later...they can reciprocate... whistle
Man you all suck......Pennsylvania's squirrel season does'nt open until the 12th of October. I just moved to a new location in PA and I am literally surrounded by squirrels and I have to wait 6 more weeks mad....why do all the other squirrel producing states open late summer and we are we so far behind.....I am very, very jealous!

Oh well will spend the new six weeks stock piling ammo for squirrel armegedon!!! grin

Great photos by the way - even if I am GREEN with envy!

PennDog
Went to a new property this am. Neat country, close to the river. It has both gray and fox squirrels. This was mostly a recon hunt, to figure the place out. Managed to free hand a gray. Not bad for this ole geezer. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
CA squirrel season opened last saturday Sept 8. Took my 11yr old son out and managed to bag five for the day (3 for me and 2 for him). We saw 7 total but two did not offer us the chance to shoot them.

1st squirrel of the year...No head shots for me, always neck or shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Total for the day..

[Linked Image]

Ruger 10/22 magnum shooting 40gr CCI gamepoints

[Linked Image]

jmsdad - You must be hunting away from the Bay Area. If the liberals catch you shooting a cute little squirrel around here and its political reeducation camp for sure!!!
No worries...I live in the east bay area but hunt 3hrs away in the Stanislaus National Forest.
Took yesterday morning off to go hunting. It was 50 degrees, still and sunny.....perfect. Decided to take my old Marlin 39a. The ole girl was setting in the gun case pouting. grin

First thing, got an old gray that had given me the slip a couple times earlier this season. Then finished up with a fox squirrel.

[Linked Image]

For those of you who have never seen one, the woods was full of puff ball mushrooms. Not the greatest pic, but I layed the squirrels next to one for comparison.

[Linked Image]

Another great day in the woods.

maddog
Man are you making me jealous wink....do you eat those puffballs? I have eaten a few in PA - they are pretty good.

Kepp the pics coming - I can't wait until October!!!

PennDog
i could eat them, but haven't. Most of them have started turning brown. You need the pure white ones. When I tried to move this one, it punctured. I really didn't have a way to haul it to the truck.

maddog
That is good luck!! I guess I need to get out and knock on some more doors, but about every woodlot around here has Louis Vuitton Bags or two in them...
Go away SPAMMER!! mad

maddog
Posted By: Pugs Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/15/12
Afraid no pics but hunted for about three hours each on two days in the WV panhandle from our camp. Weather was stunning this week with mid 70's temps and nights in the 50's. Killed three grays and one male fox squirrel. First fox squirrel I've killed in many years.

Camp chores and maintenance took the rest of the time (OK, I did slip away to the Savage to do a little trout fishing so it wasn't all work! grin ) The acorn crop is flat out amazing and they are huge. I can't recall the last time I saw one this heavy. I washed the truck when I got home and there are a dozen dimples in the hood from the damn things falling on it! frown

If I was deer hunting there this fall there will be plenty for them to eat in the woods.

Good going Pugs!

maddog
I had a pretty wild weekend squirrel hunting. went Sat. morning to the new place I picked up. Saw grays, pineys, and fox squirrels. The grays wouldn't hold still, for a shot. Tried to free hand a couple of different fox squirrels, and......missed em both cry Got home, and guess what was sitting in the grass, next to the carport.......

[Linked Image]

Little bastid just sat there and let me take his picture.... grin

Went out this morning, and it was perfect. 50 degrees, no wind, and not a cloud in the sky. Ended up taking four, with four shots.

[Linked Image]

If I hadn't got in a big hurry to shoot a 5th one[Indiana daily limit], I'd of had five, first time this year...but I missed. frown grin

One thing that helped a bunch, was a shooting/walking stick. I cut a small straight sapling, and screwed a hanger in the top. It worked great!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
you suck..
ingwe, you really need to get out more. Yer begining to sound like a broken record.......laugh

maddog
My son came up and we took Wed. to squirrel hunt. I let him run up and down the ravines, while this ole man set up in the flats. Long story short, he got his limit[5] and this ole geezer got nada.....missed one ona half azzed shot... frown But I was really happy for him. We've hunted squirrels off and on for 20 yrs. First time Dan ever got his limit. With his grandpa's Marlin 39a, circa 1955. smile

[Linked Image]

We spent a few minutes cleaning squirrels. His a pic with Dan using his fiskar pruning shears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those shears really take the work out of cleaning squills... grin

maddog
Well, after 10 days of back/leg issues, I finally got back to hunting this am. Turkeys all over the woods[first time ever]. Saw several squirrels...half were on the ground. Managed to pick off two.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Went this am and got squirrel #20 for the season. Spent almost 30 minutes tryin to get the lil bastid to hold still for the shot! grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Maddog that would be a good candidate for the Limb Chicken Chowder, The next time to go out take a Crow call with you get a good rest and when the squirell moves thru an open spot blow the call one time sharply. He will freeze in place. Now you have a few seconds to shoot. It can also be used to get them to come down from the top of the tree to try and find out what what the hell they just heard. I don't walk around the woods blowing the call but use it to get them to pause for the shot.
Posted By: Otis Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/30/12
Y'all sure have a lot of Fox squirrels up there, they are around 25% to Greys here in Arkansas!
killahog, I'll try the crow call. Thanks!

Otis, you don't have to go very far south of where I live, and you get in to a lot more greys. I have 2 places I hunt that have greys, everything else is rural woodlots [5-25 acres], and they are all fox.

maddog
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 09/30/12
SC public land game zone 2 opens tomorrow. It's supposed to be raining, but I'm going anyway. Already put in for the day off. You all are making me jealous.

Ella
i'll be shooting a few sat hopefully
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 10/01/12
[Linked Image]

Was out most of the morning. It was wet and soggy but nice to be in the woods. I confess to missing about as many as I got. But it sure was pleasant. Might have to get a few more and make up that chowder recipe posted below.

Ella
I dont have any squirrels yet, so I'm making a batch of that Chowder recipe for tonight with dark meat chicken....its in the crock pot right now and smells muy bueno grin
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 10/01/12
Feel like we ought pitch in together and ship you some squirrels. They not have any out in Montucky?

Bet ground chicken'll work out pretty good.

Ella
Actualy we DO have Red Fox Squirrels...in town where you cant hunt them....they are however a 'non-native' species and are hence unprotected...sure hope none of them get into my Havahart trap..... whistle
I started feeding them today, in about a week...they will reciprocate grin

BTW I ate the Chowder for supper...it was not only the BEST soup Ive ever made, but the BEST Ive ever tasted.

No Schitt...
Congrats Tom! It is a helluva recipe. I personally think you could use any dark meat like chicken, pheasant, rabit, turkey, as well as squirrel. When I make some in a coupla weeks, I'm gonna add more whole kernel corn to it.

maddog
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 10/02/12
Best soup EVER is a tall claim. There's a lot of good soup out there.

Am have to test that recipe myself (w. a little extra corn).

Ella
OK, you bastids got me all horny for some tree rat chowder. Anyone got the recipe?

Never mind, I found it.
Congrats Tom! It is a helluva recipe. I personally think you could use any dark meat like chicken, pheasant, rabit, turkey, as well as squirrel. When I make some in a coupla weeks, I'm gonna add more whole kernel corn to it.

maddog

MD: I did throw a whole can of corn into it, and a couple other slight m,odifications to make it fit in my crock pot. The only real change, and I think it was a good one is that I subsituted a can of evaporated milk with a can of condensed milk...mad it a touch sweeter.

It truly is the BEST soup Ive ever tasted! laugh
My son came up this am, and we did about a 2 hr. hunt. Overcast and kinda windy. Saw two and managed to tag one....after 3 shots...frown, but at least I head shot him. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Dooooooood! I gotta get there! I NEVER miss them..... whistle
Dooooooood! I gotta get there! I NEVER miss them..... whistle

Hardee Har Har...... grin Don't know which would be better, the huntin' or the bull schittin'.....grin

maddog
Bull schitt...????.....Moi? grin
Man I still have a week and a half to wait and this squirrel chowder recipe is REALLY making me hungry grin I will probably be so excited when I am allowed to go out I'll miss everything laugh

Keep the pics and recipes and reviews coming....sooner or later I'll get my chance!

PennDog
maddog- the deadly harvest has begun at Ingwehouse...the first squirrel just hit the freezer.... whistle

Squirrel #2 followed the first into the freezer a few hours later grin
First few days of the season here finally, nailed 2 with the Evanix Renegade .22 PCP rifle, 3 with the Kimber Hunter 22. Plenty of mast here and lots of cuttings visible around. I center punched the 5th one, it was moving pretty quickly and I failed to lead it enough.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is interesting and I wish I had been there. Picked up the story from CNN's front page
http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=371722
"Bizzare"cook off? Hardly.....poor dumb bastids have long ago forgotten their roots...and what good meat tastes like.
This is the 21st century. That is sufficient to qualify a squirrel cookoff as bizarre.

It has been argued in at least a few places that the abundance of squirrels, not big game, is what allowed early europeans to settle the eastern 1/2 of the country. Today, those herds of squirrels are long gone and with them, a lot of recipes. Though I doubt many of the traditional dishes were very similar to what was served at the contest.

Gotta figure out how to become a judge at one of these gigs.
I've never eaten squirrel, and haven't even shot one in 25 years.

Gonna do it this fall. Merinade it and throw it on the grill whole minus the skin, head and guts.

Looking forward to it.
2 days 'til the season opener grin.....this thread sure has not made the wait any easier cry Now have to choose the weapon!

PennDog
Ghost, think slow cooker instead of a grill. I've never had a good result with squirrels on the grill.
I'll speak for the grill - it works. My preferred method.

davet, just not too fast, not too long, and use an oil-based marinade.
Ain't nuthin' better than fresh fried squirrel. Brought me home a bunch the other night. Dressed 'em out, dipped 'em in egg, rolled in italian bread crumbs, deep fried in hot olive oil and slathered with black peppered country gravy. Mmmm, Mmmm, finer eats cannot be had !
My son made it up today. Prolly our last squirrel hunt, before deer season in mid Nov. Absolutely a beautiful day in the woods. Saw lots of squirrels. I saw 8, got shots at 3, and killed one.frown Dan ended up with 4 grays. He said he saw somewhere between 15-20. Little bastids wouldn't set still.grin We cleaned them, then went to check sights on the muzzleloaders. By that time, it was time fore the ole man to have a beer......grin A few pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Got these two late this afternoon down at the in-laws place.
[Linked Image]
waiting on some rings for my savage 24. then its game on.
Well, I got a late start this am[lazy grin]. Hit a new little woods that's about 4 acres. I didn't get there until 10am, but by 11, I had 3, even though it was getting pretty breezy. Bet the little woods hadn't been squirrel hunted in a decade. Coupla pics.

[Linked Image]

The last one had a nut still in his mouth when I head shot him.

[Linked Image]

The last supper[or breakfast] depending on your point of view.grin

maddog
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 10/22/12
MD,

Gotta love the midmeal demise. That's humane hunting.

I don't believe I've ever seen the small game forum as lively as this fall.

I went deer hunting this morning but got bored. Ate 'em chicken fried for lunch.

Ella

[Linked Image]
i just got some rings to mount a scope on my old savage 24. Hope to get her sighted in and take a few limb rats. Might try a few with my smith 63
Got another this afternoon. Ya'll are doing mighty good with single shot rifles and pistols. smile
[Linked Image]
How do you keep that stock looking so good? Do you use any wax or anything? Everytime I see it, it's beautiful, and I don't just mean the nice wood.
I've been using Clenzoil on the metal for a long time, and when I get done with the wipedown, I usually wipe the stock down with the same cloth. Clenzoil has been promoted (sort of like Ballistol)as a general purpose firearms care product, and it seems to work pretty well. I have used Howards Feed and Wax too, but on the factory synthetic finish, it's mostly useful for the wax. The Kimber has got a few small dings, but I try to be careful and not beat it up.
Hope to go tomorrow or Sunday. Just used 7 "limb chickens" for the chowder! grin

maddog
Update on the chowder. I did like ingwe, and substituted the half and half, for a can of condensed milk....sweetened it up, and I ate til I felt like a blowed up tick! grin

maddog
Got this one late this afternoon with my Evanix AR6 Renegade PCP air rifle.
[Linked Image]
SWEET!! I'm going out for a little while, this weekend. Probably mid/late mornings. Tree stands are up in all the woods. Bowhunters will be out in droves.

maddog
Made this one a redhead late this afternoon with the Kimber 22.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 11/08/12
That, Sir, is a pretty piece of wood. Nice rifle and shot.

I like redheads and bugeyes--makes cleaning neat and easy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deer hunting has been less than rewarding this fall....

Ella

Well, I'm backing off squirrel hunting for a few weeks. all my woods are full of deer stands, and our gun season opens on Nov. 17th. My son is coming up, and we are gonna hunt for the 1st 3 days. When Dec. gets here and all the maniac stuff is over with, I'm going back at it. Squirrel season, here in Indiana, is open til Jan. 31. I've had more fun huntin' them lil bastids, this year, than I have in decades! grin

maddog
Amen to that, MDog! Once the WalMart hunters leave....game on!
maddog, how do you like the little NEF sportster? Thinking of getting one and slapping a 2.5-8 leupy on one for my squirrel buster
I LOVE mine! grin It's not "target rifle" accurate, but it is definately "minute of squirrel accurate". I've had more fun, this fall, hunting squirrels with that little gun, than I've had for 2 decades.

maddog
Shot four last weekend and got one this afternoon.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I sure am enjoying this thread!

I hit the squirrels hard first couple months of season here..firearm deer season is in (I was blessed with two bucks opening morning 10 min. apart). When the deer fire burns out around here...we'll be back at the tree-rats till middle February when season closes.

dave
I'm with you. Got 2 nice does, this last weekend, so freezer is full. I'm laying low until the 1st of Dec., then it's back after the limb chickens. grin

maddog
Ive had a couple more check into my urban "squirrel motel"..... whistle
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 11/26/12
This one was a philosopher. There is only not-enough!

Ella

[Linked Image]
Well, this is the last weekend of firearm deer season. Full moon last nite, and it got up to 62 degrees, this pm. I spent the am slicing up deer roast for jerky, then hit the woods about 11 am. 40 minutes later, I had 3 squirrels! grin Seriously thought about trying for a limit, but my leg was bothering me. Went to the truck and cleaned them, then decided it was time for a brewsky at the local watering hole.....grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
You Suck! cry

Ive been having a few check in to the " Squirrel Motel" but I shure wish I could just plain hunt them.....
I'm with you. Got 2 nice does, this last weekend, so freezer is full. I'm laying low until the 1st of Dec., then it's back after the limb chickens. grin

maddog

Maddog...have at it Chief....tree rats must die and today is December 1st!
Well, this is the last weekend of firearm deer season. Full moon last nite, and it got up to 62 degrees, this pm. I spent the am slicing up deer roast for jerky, then hit the woods about 11 am. 40 minutes later, I had 3 squirrels! grin Seriously thought about trying for a limit, but my leg was bothering me. Went to the truck and cleaned them, then decided it was time for a brewsky at the local watering hole.....grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

Red Bastids! Bigger than the Reds we have in NH. I have been having good luck braining the little Bastids!
Posting kind of a test pic. Got it at my daughter's house over Thanksgiving. Don't know if it will show it, but it's the biggest da**ed squirrel I've seen in 50 yrs! Critter musta weighed 4 lbs. if he weighed an ounce! grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
You Suck! cry

Ive been having a few check in to the " Squirrel Motel" but I shure wish I could just plain hunt them.....

Hey Tom, why don't ya come back to see yer family next fall, and drop down for a couple days of squirrel hunting with me? IN 5 day non resident small game license is only $31. I got a lot of places to hunt. Season is open Aug. 15 thru Jan. 31. Usually Sept. is great! Can be hot and buggy, but usually by Sept. it's cooled off a little. The hunt would involve shootin' "limb chickens", BBQing on the grill, and I'll take ya to my double secret waterin' hole, down by the river, to wash down the bug dope! wink grin

maddog
Dont be too surprised if I do....I have from Dec. 12 to Jan 14 off now...is the season still on then? Ive been dreaming of a flying trip through a few states on a Squirell Safari!
You have the perfect set up to make a run at that Squirrel Slam. Go for it
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...2011/11/becoming?photo=4#node-1001458293
Dont be too surprised if I do....I have from Dec. 12 to Jan 14 off now...is the season still on then? Ive been dreaming of a flying trip through a few states on a Squirell Safari!

Yep, season is still open. No clue what the weather will be like. I'd make it right after Jan.1.[weather permitting] all the deer seasons are over, and I could take you to some of the places I hunt, that I can't right now because of deer season. Let me know. If it doesn't work out, come next fall.

maddog
10-4 sounds good Mike. I could hit up Woody again and a guy or two in Iowa, plus I may have another place in Indiana and one in Ohio for Sure...Va. if I get that far east...
I'll have to get a picture but my BIL shot the BIGGEST fox squirrel I have ever seen in my life today. Easily between 4-5Lbs. It's body was as big as their mini-dachshund! We were out building blinds for the upcoming doe season and he shot it at about 60 yards. It was huge couldn't believe it. I told him it would easily go Boone and Crockett LOL.
Yeah, get a pic posted of that big sucker, if you can.

maddog
10-4 sounds good Mike. I could hit up Woody again and a guy or two in Iowa, plus I may have another place in Indiana and one in Ohio for Sure...Va. if I get that far east...

I can put you on squirrels in Iowa if you wish. Center of the state, easy to get to
I will remember that..... wink
My son is quite the micro brewery coniseur[sp]. Want to show you a pic of the adult beverage he brought up to the ole man to try.

[Linked Image]

I must say the flavor was definately hickory nuts meet hops/barley.....grin

maddog
laugh
I will remember that..... wink

Season closes 31 January. The best times are sooner rather than later since the redtails and great horneds are picking them off pretty steadily. The "rut" is also good (roughly between Xmas and New Years, but I have a hard time pinning its timing down exactly).
Update on BIL's huge squirrel. He took to taxidermist today and the guy couldn't believe it. He told him he can't get a squirrel form that big and he would probably have to use a small woodchuck (groundhog to the easterners)!!!! So he is going to have to get it standing instead of going up a limb like he wanted LOL.
Where was this squirrel shot? The biggest squirrels I've seen were coastal islands off of SC and GA.

Brent
Central Michigan near Ashley/Marion Springs. In the 18 acre wood lot 500 yards behind his house. Corn field on 3 sides and maybe 50 acres more connecting to the back.
The only central MI squirrels I shot were pretty normal sized grey squirrels. Not big at all. You must have something really special. Ask the taxi to check with folks that work with animals from the southeastern part of the country, esp. close to the Atlantic Coast. There are huge squirrels there.

good luck, sounds like a pretty cool critter.

Brent
I googled up this might give you some leads. Look at the size of that first squirrel relative to the Browning Buckmark
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=582294
Killed a red fox squirrel in Ohio when I was a kid that measured 21" from nose to base of tail. His tail was just over 10"...a bit over 31 inches overall. Dont know what he weighed. Got a fox Squirrel in Ga. later about the same size...looked like a cat.
Come on out the timber behind my place is chock full of those big bird food eatin red bastids. mad
Woody Im actually thinking about it for December 2013.... how long does the season run?
Not sure but I think it goes into Jan.
Perfect! Im thinking of a flying loop like I did last summer, except taking more time and hunting squirrels in as many places as I can....I am off from Dec.14 to Jan 14 grin
You're welcome anytime..
Thank you sir, I may very well take you up on it.....had a helluva good time on that last trip...
Squirl season starts..... Lol who gives a s***?
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller

cept for you, most everybody else that posts here does! laugh

Can't hunt Moose....gotta hunt squirrel..... grin

maddog

When maddog isnt hunting elephant or Cape Buffalo he is hunting squirrels. True story....

Try looking down your nose at that......
Hey ingwe.....sides it's hard to make limb chicken chowder outta elephant! grin

Gonna need a bigger kitchen! wink grin

maddog
laugh
Just trying to get a laugh out of you guys. I have eaten my share of squirls. Wasnt trying to offend anyone. The joke for me is they are open year round here.
Ff, no problem. Just make sure ya don't get in the way of us ole geezers, when it comes to our "lim chicken" huntin'.....laugh

maddog
The joke for me is they are open year round here.

NOW you've REALLY pizzed me off! mad

Id be shooting and eating the bastids year round if I could.... grin

BTW what kind of squirrels do they have in Alaska, and are they any good to eat? We have lots of pine squirrels here, but not worth the bother. At all.
The joke for me is they are open year round here.

NOW you've REALLY pizzed me off! mad

Id be shooting and eating the bastids year round if I could.... grin

BTW what kind of squirrels do they have in Alaska, and are they any good to eat? We have lots of pine squirrels here, but not worth the bother. At all.
We have artic ground squirrels(havent seen many), red tree squirrels, and several species of marmots. Moarmots are the best eating. I know many would disagree but I like em'
We dont eat the ground squirrels here either, got millions of them, red tree squirrels are the piney bastids...no good. lots of marmots in places, nobody ever tried eating one......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... grin
We dont eat the ground squirrels here either, got millions of them, red tree squirrels are the piney bastids...no good. lots of marmots in places, nobody ever tried eating one......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... grin
Im gonna make of few of you guys laugh here but I have to ask. What the hell is Montucky? I see it says thats where your from. I have seen rifles called montucky rifles. Where is it? Montanan? Kentucky? Neigther?
Yeah...Montana.....its a little campfire slang...
Your red squirrels eat just fine. Small, but excellent. Aberts squirrels also eat pine/spruce/fir cones and bark and they are among the best of the best.

Young marmot is supposed to be good. Old, not so much.
You guys make me so jealous. No one is more prepared for squirrel hunting as I. I have not had a place to do so in over 15 years. mad mad
[quote=ingwe]What the hell is Montucky? Where is it? Neigther?

Yes, there. laugh
Hey ingwe! Found this sticker for the back of your truck.....whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and a hat to go with it. You'd be stylin'.....grin

maddog
I don't know if any of you have ever been involved in a real, all-out squirrel war, but if you want to read about one

http://home.comcast.net/~illinewek/sq-war1.htm
Well, gotta work Sat., so decided to take midday off and went huntin'. It's been a gloomy/rainy day, but it quit about 11 am. Loaded up and headed for the woods. Saw a squirrel, 30 seconds after I hit the woods. Little varmint disappeared. Sat on a log for 30 min. and he reapeared. Took a coupla shots, but I got him. Prettiest fox squirrel I ever shot. Old male. Definately limb chicken chowder additive! grin Some pics....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He's definately B&C material. His family jewels are bigger than mine! grin

maddog
Ha! You bastid, I got one like that today too ( also with balls bigger than mine...) And one only slightly smaller committed suicide an hour later grin

Im just guessing but if the males are on the move, we must be getting close to mating season, which is usually January here.
I usually get a influx of young adult males at the squirrel motel in January....
Saw two fox squirrels playing grab-ass here today. I think the bucks must be pushing the does a little already to test them out.
Hey ingwe, ya come back east for your squirrel safari, next year, what kinda fire power ya bringin'?

maddog
It would be a heavy Ruger 77/22 and the same in a 77/17 Hummer...

Dis would be the .17

[Linked Image]
Well, guess what, I'm thinkin' of gettin me a .17 hmr. Prolly the Sportster with the heavy barrel. I got a 3x9 scope with illuminated reticles and BDC just itchin' for it. We could have a whole buncha fun! wink grin

maddog
Forgot to say.....it'll have a bubba buddy on board! laugh

maddog
I can soot 'em in the eyeball from a hunnert yards with the Hummer grin

Just say 'no' to Bubba Buddies....
The boy is coming home tomorrow, for a squirrel hunt. Got us lined up on a new spot that is lousy with squirrels, and nobody hunts them! grin

Details sometime tomorrow nite!

maddog
You suck!
Another squirrel checked into the Squirrel motel..... whistle

Unlucky #13....
day before yesterday, i'm out on a drive at work, and i pass a local National Wildlife Refuge i have passed probably a few hundred times on the way to the property i own. Never stopped in before.

saw a sign that said HQ Office, so i veer off to go explore, a few miles later find the office to get a brochure/map.

The place is 9000 acres of hardwoods & creekbottons, laced with oaks and pecan trees. i see squirrel nests in the trees in ridiculous numbers. never saw another car parked at the 3 parking areas i went past.

guess where i'm gonna try to be next weekend?

Another squirrel checked into the Squirrel motel.....Unlucky #13....

i'm only at about half your body count, i have neglected my pursuits of limb-chicken lately.

a single skinny gray fell to the Maple Mutilator last weekend, started drizzling not long after i got out, seemed to keep them subdued a bit. Plus i couldnt hear them rattling around in the leaves on the ground like usual.

this one showed at first light, and i tried a wobbly rest & clean missed him at about 75 yards, but he paused at the shot & i drilled him on the reload.

[Linked Image]

Well, the boy and I went to the new place. Hunted almost 2 hrs., nada. Went down the road 4 miles and hunted a place for 1 hr. nada. We decided that we hadn't had enough cold weather, and it was cold this am, and the squirrels simply weren't moving. Headed back towards home, and hit a place about 4 miles north of town. By this time, it's about noon, and up to about 40 degrees. I sent the boy one way, and I went another. Within 5 min., I heard him shoot. I moved on and found a pair chasing each other up and down a tree. I couldn't get any closer than about 40 yds. Lined up, and dropped both with head shots, one shot each. I then heard the boy shoot behind me, and he connected with another one. Four squirrels within 45 minutes. All were taken between noon and 1 pm.

[Linked Image]

My two.

[Linked Image]

Dan's two.

maddog
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

The place is 9000 acres of hardwoods & creekbottons, laced with oaks and pecan trees. i see squirrel nests in the trees in ridiculous numbers. never saw another car parked at the 3 parking areas i went past.

guess where i'm gonna try to be next weekend?

Krapp Id be on that like Rosie Odonnel on the seat of a Subaru!
Mike...your kid hunts with a classy gun....

Just saying'..... whistle
Yeah, I got one of them classy guns, too. BUT I'm having such a great time hunting with the single shot, with the bubba buddy.....just ta needle yer azz! laugh

Just sayin'......grin

maddog
You suck.....
It was too nice of a day, not to go hunting, yesterday. Sunny, little breeze, almost 50 degrees. Went back to a new place, where my son and I got skunked, last week. Hadn't any more than parked the truck and got out, when I spotted this squirrel. 40+ yard shot. Missed with the first shot, then heard the whack on the second. Went over to the tree, and watched the lil bastid go in a hole. I was cussing my luck, when I walked around the tree, and found the little varmint laying on the ground. The tree was hollow, and he fell down thru it to the ground. As always, I'd rather be lucky than good. grin

[Linked Image]

Looked around for the better part of 2 hrs. Saw one othe gray haulin tail across the bottoms, and a fox squirrel runnin' over the top of the ridge. I cleaned the squirrel, and when I went to leave, I counted 5 up by the guy's house that let me hunt. Oh well, there will be another day. grin

Here's a quick pic of the woods I was hunting.

[Linked Image]

Man, it was sure beautiful and peaceful, back in those bottoms.

maddog
I can soot 'em in the eyeball from a hunnert yards with the Hummer grin

You come hunt with me, with that hummer, ya better hit em in the eyeball...if not, yer cleanin the remains by yerself! grin

maddog
I actually took the hummer out to check it and found it is suddenly lacking in the accuracy dept. Course...I havent cleaned it for 5,000 rounds...so I'll try that first... whistle

Also rescoped my .22 for Squirrel Safari....
Sometimes ya just gotta shoot 'em when they is peeking at ya too! Pretty happy with my newly acquired CZ 455 American.

[Linked Image]
Never shot a CZ rimfire with less than excellent accuuracy....
Why should Dog have all the fun?
Got one last week, just a few minutes into the woods. And another this morning. Got caught in a thunderstorm and soaked for this one! Had to take a picture on the back porch.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ever get any of those big azz fox squirrels down there?
Them Reds get huge up here! grin

[Linked Image]
Ever get any of those big azz fox squirrels down there?

None locally, but I have gotten a few on national forest and TVA land.
Nice looking rifle!
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Them Reds get huge up here! grin

[Linked Image]

Daauumn! laugh

maddog
That's one of them Boone & Crockett squirrels! Here's a picture of the biggest fox squirrel I've ever shot. That varmint was BIG!
[Linked Image]
Nice! That dude is huge!
Ijust had client #14 check in to the Squirrel motel.

He didn't check out.... whistle
Congrats Ingwe!
Holiday business is good at the Squirrel Motel- client #15 just checked in... grin
OK I just finished a huge meal of fried squirrel, gravy, biscuits and corn...

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm grin
Hope ya dreamed about "limb chickens" all nite long.....whistle grin

maddog
I want to get out for squirrel soon!
fellow squill hunters, check out this web site!

http://www.hrtrophies.com/pd_deluxe_squirrel_hunt_plaques_v_series.cfm

laugh

maddog
I didnt see one for the Urban Daisy 880/Havahart competitors.... whistle
Posted By: eh76 Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 12/21/12
I'm using rat traps with a peanut in the shell wire to the trigger out by the wood pile smile
It it legal to trap them out there?
[Linked Image]cz American
I have never tried eating squirrel but you guys have me set to try it.

Question 1

How many squirrels make a meal for 1-2 people.

two ?
A fox, like most of those posted here, just one.
SS- one squirrel per person. I really like them so I always allot myself 2 grin
Originally Posted by BrentD
It it legal to trap them out there?

I think Keith is catching the little red pine squirrels, though I can be sure as we have Red Fox squirrels in a number of locales in MT...and they are non-native...and non-protected grin
SS- one squirrel per person. I really like them so I always allot myself 2 grin

That shouldn't be hard to manage, we've got lots of fox squirrels where I hunt, next time I go out I'll try to whack one or two.

Are they better cooked right away, or do you soak them in something overnight?
Go fresh. No need to soak. If you freeze them put them in a plastic bag (usually I do this after quartering them with a cleave or hand ax) with a lot of water so that you have, effectively a block of ice with a squirrel in the middle.
I thought you had to soak them in buttter milk
I wouldn't soak a cookie in butter milk. I don't know why people do that with anything. But seriously straight from the woods to the pan or the grill is great.
NO!!!! shocked

BrentD was right on. I piece mine up, put them in a sandwich bag, fill it full of water and freeze it.
Tastes like fresh.

When Im ready to cook I parboil the pieces with a little onion for about 5-6 minutes, roll in flour, S&P and pan fry in butter.....medium heat till golden brown. Make gravy out of the junk left in the pan if you like...
Squirrel is simple, easy to prepare and the BEST....
I think you covered that just right. Think I'll skip deer hunting tomorrow and break out a .22...
They are also easier to drag out than deer.... grin
Par boil - as in boil in water with onions ?

NO!!!! shocked

BrentD was right on. I piece mine up, put them in a sandwich bag, fill it full of water and freeze it.
Tastes like fresh.

When Im ready to cook I parboil the pieces with a little onion for about 5-6 minutes, roll in flour, S&P and pan fry in butter.....medium heat till golden brown. Make gravy out of the junk left in the pan if you like...
Squirrel is simple, easy to prepare and the BEST....
Yup!
How long do you boil them, I've never parboiled anything -

somehow boiling meat makes me think of british table fare - yuck..
5-6 minutes....
k thanks - I'll give it a try.

I love rabbit so I'm hoping it'll be a bit like it

Mom never would let me bring the ones I shot in the house, Either gramps or a neighbor came buy and got the meat so I may have been missing out - don't know just yet.
Rabbit tastes like old goat liver in comparison to a good fox squirrel
And I think squirrel tastes like rabbit, but with a ton more flavor to it....
What's the better tasting squirrels - grays or fox.

And if anyone answers Red - they are a liar!!!

Then you must not be cooking it right -

we braise it, and then add wine, olive oil, and oregano - that's how they cook it in Greece anyway and it's pretty darn good. Add some onions, S&P, of course

The wife makes fries and serves the rabbit on top of them so they soak up the juices
awesome good.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
What's the better tasting squirrels - grays or fox.

Same-o....
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Then you must not be cooking it right

Quite possible. Rabbits smell bad just dressing them. Maybe that's part of it too.
we have both here, and mostly see one when you want to see the other type.

now all I have to do is figure out which rifle to take, 39A, Sako Quad, or the new fancy 10/22
Oh yah - thanks !!!
No contest. Take the 39a
I shoot the grays in my backyard here in suburban Atlanta with a pellet rifle and chuck 'em in the freezer. My Yankee neighbors don't understand.
I know what you mean...people here wouldnt dream of eating one....

More for me! laugh
Snuck up on one this morning, and the Kimber 22 strikes again!
[Linked Image]
Beautiful rifle!

maddog
Client #16 checked into the squirrel motel today...biggest one yet... grin
What? No pics of the dearly departed?.....grin

Sure wish the weather would straighten up. I'd like to go "limb chicken" hunting a couple more times, before the end of january.

maddog
I almost took a pic of this bastid, he was big!
What? No pics of the dearly departed?.....grin

maddog

Mike: just for you...pics of the departed. What is the ONLY thing better than fried squirrel? grin

[Linked Image]

Fried squirrel with camp spuds and squirrel gravy! laugh

[Linked Image]
Now THAT sucks!

I had frozen pizza tonight frown
The gravy alone could sustain life indefinitely.... grin
You suck infinitely!!!! I'm going to ralf my frozen pizza in a minute
The gravy alone could sustain life indefinitely.... grin

You bastid!..... grin

maddog
Now I'm drooling! Looks great!
That's done right. Takes me back about 50 years and 2500 miles.
Well, thought my season might be over with, because of the cold weather. Was uptown this AM for coffee, and ran into a guy I knew. Told him I was squirrel hunting, and he said come out and help myself! grin Wel the snow had melted and it was in the high 50's, so I went huntin'. Saw 5, but they were wilder than march hares.... This dummy sat still, and I head shot him at 50 yds., with the lil Sportster.

[Linked Image]

Went on to another woods, cause it was almost 60 degrees[unheard of in Indiana, in Jan.]. Took a little trip down the lane, and this dude decided he wanted to commit suicide at about 40 yds.! grin

[Linked Image]

Depending on the weather, this may be it, for this season. I've had a helluva time with the little .22 Sportster. Actually shot 31 squirrels with the single shot. I'm a happy camper!

maddog
Good shooting! I may hafta get out a couple more times before the end of the month. This Indiana weather is crazy!
You suck!
You suck!

grin
You suck!

NANNA NANNA POO POO..... laugh

Yer havin' fantasy thoughts about the "bubba buddy"...... whistle grin

maddog

You cook good deer, and your beer is cold. I can forgive your other transgressions....
Well, if the weatherman is right, it's supposedto get up in the 40's Fri./Sat. If that happens, I'm gonna try 1-2 last hunts, before the season ends, Jan. 31st.

maddog
Gonna hit it one more time Friday.
I HATE these pictures! They make me jealous!
NOT a squirrel, maybe even better! Got me a rabbit this morning with the Evanix Renegade PCP air rifle! laugh Ate it for lunch along with some green beans and mashed potatoes. I am stuffed!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I wuv Wabbit! laugh
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 01/19/13
Nice eats. Rabbit might be my all time favorite wild game to cook. And that's a neat air rifle.

Squirrels was mighty squirrely this morning, but I did take this photo while skinning the only one I got. Distance is about 4 yards. I had on a bright orange hoodie.

[Linked Image]
My son is coming home, tomorrow, about 1 pm. Depending on wind/cold we may try our last squirrel hunt of this season. Won't know, until tomorrow, but it's been a GREAT season! grin

maddog
Didn't make it out due to the "crud" which is going around, but I tried my best to make the best of it. Had to rob the freezer.. grin

[Linked Image]
My son came up yesterday, and despite the cold/breezy weather, we went squirrel hunting about 1 pm. Net result, between the two of us, we saw 4 squirrels and 1 rabbit. He got one to hold still, and he nailed it, on the ground. I had one run by me doing mach 9, and saw another at about 150 yds. No shot at either one. We quit at 3 pm, cause fingers and toes were frozen! Our season is open for about 10 more days. I may get out one more time, but I'm hearing the fat lady warm up for the end of what has been one helluva great squirrel season! grin

maddog
Good on you Mike. They must tremble in fear and run for their lives when they see the Bubba Buddy coming! laugh
It's my assault weapon for limb chickens..... wink grin

maddog
If can ever put together a 'squirrel safari' you are on the list, and watch them cower with fear at the mention of my name and my heavy 77/22....my reputation amongst buck-toothed varmints will precede me.....
Hey ingwe, I just bought a little SS .22 revolver, that I can carry on my squirrel outings next season. Course no better than I shoot a handgun, they better be within bayonet range.....grin

Charter Arms Pathfinder 2".

[Linked Image]

maddog
Dat might be OK if they breach the wire....
If can ever put together a 'squirrel safari' you are on the list, and watch them cower with fear at the mention of my name and my heavy 77/22....my reputation amongst buck-toothed varmints will precede me.....

Tom, all BS aside.....If you could come back east in late Sept. or early Oct., you will find the squirrel hunting to be the absolute best. They are still working the nuts both in the trees and on the ground. The weather will be nicer, and the autumn leaves will be coming on. Lot more shot opportunities, and probably a better hunting experience. Just a suggestion ole buddy.

maddog
Yeah..I know...but Im a teacher...its not an option at present frown

I already tired...I need to be "RE"-tired!!! laugh
Got two squirrels today. It was a miserable day with blasting wind, hard to see anything but vegetation waving around. It must have masked my noisy crunching dry leaf steps because these two never knew what hit them. Kimber Hunter 22, Weaver 2-7x, Federal 712 HVHP's, Lone Wolf Loveless knife.
[Linked Image]
Nice!
Well, 6 days left of the Indiana squirrel season, for this year. Too cold today, but supposed to warm up by tues. If it's not raining, gonna give it one more go. Then I'll clean the 22 up[and pull the burrs out of the bubba buddy], and call it a season.

maddog
My squirrel season is over here. Legally It doesnt have to be, but they are starting to breed and I wanna make sure they create a large crop of fresh squirrels to harvest next fall whistle
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 01/26/13
Nice hunting. I got skunked today. Dropped one on a long shot and heard it thud, but by the time I got across the creek it was not to be found.

Saw half a dozen does, a six point buck and about twenty turkeys though. And gorgeous morning in SC.

Ella
Posted By: byc Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 01/27/13
Please please come here and you can have all the fat and tasty tree rats you can carry home.

We have a serious population problem here and they are eating everything. Thinking they'll eat us next. mad
Originally Posted by byc
Please please come here and you can have all the fat and tasty tree rats you can carry home.

We have a serious population problem here and they are eating everything. Thinking they'll eat us next. mad

Be careful what you wish for! grin

You got fox squirrels or greys?
Originally Posted by byc

Be careful what you wish for! grin

You got fox squirrels or greys?

Road trip.... cool
Im thinking exactly that...long range campfire bud road trip and squirrel safari... whistle
That sounds like an adventure that would be easy on us older farts anyway... grin
EXACTAMUNDO! I am still able to sit under a tree, shoot a little rifle, and pack a whole squirrel out all by myself! grin
Im thinking exactly that...long range campfire bud road trip and squirrel safari... whistle

Now if we could just get some porters for the safari.....whistle grin

maddog
or build a leopard blind in front of a hickory nut tree....grin

maddog
This could get interesting... grin
Seriously...I could roam the country for a couple weeks sponging off people like maddog ( he is a GOOD cook, and keeps his beer cold!) Then when he gets sick of me, I'll go find another unsuspecting campfire member..... whistle
Finally was able to get out after them the weekend before last in somewhat of a serious manner. Previous attempts had my 5yo in tow. Sat, I walked for about 3hrs cover lots of ground and never laid an eye on one. Deer...check. 'coons...check. turkeys...lots of checks. I made it back to the cabin and a fox squirrels was attempting a B&E! Had to defend the place with my UGLY 12ga!
[Linked Image]

Got a bit more civilized with them on Sunday morning and carried the 10-22. First time I got to put the CCI Quik-Shok on anything but paper. I hid the gore for the pics, but they nearly gut 'em for you on body shots. In order the order that I got 'em. The last two came out of the same beech tree.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now I can't wait until May! I've talked the wife into a short family va-cay to Land between the Lakes. Gonna try out either the KY or TN spring season! (hint to Ingwe!)
I'll put you on the list when I make the circuit. grin
Please do! I was pretty geeked to find out about some states having a spring season since I'm not able to go anywhere for bears this spring. If you make it to So. Indiana I have a cabin in the heart of the Hoosier National Forest. Lots and lots of squirrels. One local family puts on a big hunt over Labor Day weekend. This year they shot just over 200 in 3 days!

Like I said, those CCI Quick Shoks make some big holes...
[Linked Image]
Uh-oh...you shouldnt have told me that.... grin
Dang pointer that cabin in the HNF sounds neat!cool

maddog
EXACTAMUNDO! I am still able to sit under a tree, shoot a little rifle, and pack a whole squirrel out all by myself! grin

Ingwe, have a game cart you can use for each carcass, moving even one by yourself could cause a problem. Might be able to attach to your hov-a-round!
Posted By: kawi Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 01/29/13
Been goe'n so long? Apears just mite start again.What the world.grin
Maddog and Ingwe- I'd be more than happy to host you guys for a squirrel safari! laugh The 'cabin' renovation is not quite yet done, but getting there.

Here's the living room where I'll serve drinks and listen to stories of your derring-do:
[Linked Image]

Here's where you two will sleep, any fights for the top bunk that end in a tie will be settle by a local magistrate...ME! I accept bribes... wink
[Linked Image]
So..yer gonna dis a fellow Hoosier?
Yes and no. For some here in IN yes, for you no! Sleeping quarters might get a bit tight (only 2 beds and I ain't sharing), but we have lots of floor space! 'Cmon on down!

Between HNF, Army Corp, and state lands there'd be plenty of space to spread out. Red rectangles is my place. Anything inside the green and blue can be hunted...
[Linked Image]
OK...just in case...when is the best time for squirrels and to avoid deer hunters?
Season starts Aug 15 and runs continuously through the end of Jan. Deer archery starts on Oct 1. So, I'd say any time before Oct. 1 or after the first of the year.

That said, mid-Aug generally finds high temps well into the 90s and LOTS of humidity and usually 'skeeters. But, if you find a producing hickory stand during that time it can be GOOD! laugh

Though I've never done it, you can shoot them from the water as long as the boat is not under power. I think it'd be a hoot to get in a canoe or jon boat and float either a back pay of Patoka Lake or one of the smaller rivers and snipe them from it!

Late December or early January is the mating season here. The bucks are chasing the does and if you watch carefully, you can see groups of guys chasing the gals. If you shoot carefully, you can pick off all the guys and at each shot, they all duck into a hole or hunker in a crotch but a few minutes later, they have to move again to find their girl. If you don't shoot her you can take a bunch from one spot. My best is 5 with a flintlock. But 3-4 with a .22 is not hard to make happen.
Pointer, January is a good time frame for me...gotta give this some SERIOUS thought...I have kin just up the road in Michigan and I could kill two birds with one stone.....
January is a good time to be in the woods. It will either be colder than a well-diggers butt, or T-shirt weather. Crazy Indiana weather for sure!
Well, went for 2 hrs. this am [tomorrow is the last day of IN squirrel season], and didn't see nada. 50+ degrees and wind blowing +/- 20 mph and drizzly. Tomorrow, I'm gonna clean up the little sportster and put her away for a while. 6 1/2 months til next "limb chicken" season. It's been an awesome year1 grin

maddog
Mike: dont kill them all next fall......I may be there whistle
Pointer, January is a good time frame for me...gotta give this some SERIOUS thought...I have kin just up the road in Michigan and I could kill two birds with one stone.....
I actually prefer that time of year for squirrels, especially with a .22, as the leaves are off and they are much easier to see/hear. Just let me know! FWIW, it'll take at least 5hrs to get the southern part of MI from there...
Late December or early January is the mating season here. The bucks are chasing the does and if you watch carefully, you can see groups of guys chasing the gals. If you shoot carefully, you can pick off all the guys and at each shot, they all duck into a hole or hunker in a crotch but a few minutes later, they have to move again to find their girl. If you don't shoot her you can take a bunch from one spot. My best is 5 with a flintlock. But 3-4 with a .22 is not hard to make happen.
'Tis exactly why and how I got my last two!
Originally Posted by pointer
I actually prefer that time of year for squirrels, especially with a .22, as the leaves are off and they are much easier to see/hear. Just let me know! FWIW, it'll take at least 5hrs to get the southern part of MI from there...

Sounds good! You are officially on the radar screen!!
My son came home today and we made a full batch of "limb chicken" chowder. Fitting end to a great season! grin

maddog
Doesn't get much better than that!
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 02/09/13
Glad you had a good season, MD. We in SC still have till 3/1. Going out tomorrow. Want to try that chowder recipe you posted, but have been frying and eating as fast they come in....

Ella
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 02/09/13
Missed one and got one this morning and then just barely (caught it in the throat). The few I saw were skittery and gone. It was real quiet in the woods except for some interludes of turkeys.

I'm hunting a lot of this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ingwe, you shooting one of those racoon-looking foxsquirrels on your safari?

Ella
Id REALLY like to shoot one of those Panda Looking squirrels that they get in SC...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ella
Glad you had a good season, MD. We in SC still have till 3/1. Going out tomorrow. Want to try that chowder recipe you posted, but have been frying and eating as fast they come in....

Ella

BTW: That chowder recipe works just fine with chicken..... wink

It is THE BEST!
Posted By: Ella Re: Squirrel season starts....... - 02/10/13
I'd offer you a stop if I knew a reliable place to take you.

There's a place 20 minutes East of here where they're dripping from the trees. This past deer season, I watched three of them playing grabass with one that was full black--all of em big as weiner dogs. And there's a park in town (Aiken, SC) that's the same way. But it's illegal to hunt them there! And where you can hunt em, I see them only occasionally and always when I'm carrying a deer rifle.

Maybe the guy that got that one can steer you on to them.

(This morning's was a big ol'd chewy looking boar, so I put him in the "stew squirrel" bag in the freezer. I want the first time with that chowder to be perfect.)
smile
Ella
I'm already getting fired up for next fall, and the season has only been over for 1 1/2 weeks! grin I've already added a couple of "refinements" to the Sportster, 3x9 scope with BDC, and a new claw sling. Soon as it gets fit, I'm out for a sight in session.

maddog
Which scope and BDC?

I find the Burris BP to be IDEAL....
Tom, I should have said the scope has a BDC reticle. It's a Truglow 3x90 50, with a crosshair illuminator. I bought it for a song from my son's future father-in-law. It's very bright and the crosshairs are finer. It does kinda overwhelm the rifle, so it may not stay, but I'm gonna give it a good workout this spring. Originally, I was going to put it on a 17 hmr, but I'm not sure I want one, now. Too destructive on squirrels, and I don't get to shoot prairie dogs[ just limb chickensgrin ]! We'll see what I think this spring. Gonna try for 50 limbers next season! laugh

maddog
Way back in the olden days when I lived in the south and hunted squirrels 50 for a season was a pretty reasonable estimate..I only remember counting once and stopped at 35 a month into the season. Makes me wonder how many I killed when I was in college and augmenting my poor college kids diet with squirrel meat. A lot of it... whistle
Ingwe, was that before the second room was built on that school?
Dat was mean, and you'll smoke a turd in hell for it...
These were prehistoric, Pleistocene squirrels, right? Big, sabertoothed critters?
Tried a new recipe, yesterday. Man it was good, if you like beans.

3-4 squirrels
1/2 lb. black eyed peas
3 med onions
1/2 pack frozen sweet peas
stick of smoked sausage
2-3 med carrots

I boiled the squirrels long enough to bone out. Dredged the squirrels in flour and fried in skillet, until brown. Took them out to drain, then diced the onions and cooked in skillet until about 1/2 done. Cooked the peas per the directions[boiled 2 min. then let stand off flame for 15 min]. Threw it all in a crockpot. Added the frozen peas, diced up the carrots, and sliced the smoked sausage in 1/8" slices. Tossed them in the pot with everything else, and added 1 tsp of garlic salt and 1 tsp. of black pepper. Stirred everything up and set the crockpot on low for about 8 hrs. Made some Martha White corn bread, and put the cooked stuff over the top.

DELICIOUS!!! grin

If ya got some extra squirrels, give it a try. The original recipe left the squirrels bone in, but I didn't want the little bones in the pot.

maddog
© 24hourcampfire