Home
Posted By: AndySpencer 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
My wife likes to travel, I like to hunt. It seems like a perfect marriage. Just marked Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota off the list, with more hunts planned this season.

My goal is to kill 50 squirrels in 50 states.

[Linked Image]

Where do you squirrel hunt? Can I come with?

We have a lot of those here.......
I would love to take you........

P.S. Bring bail money.
Yea, no guff. Idaho loves to protect their squirrels. They must be some fine eating.

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/content/question/hunting-squirrles
Posted By: JeffG Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
What a great travel plan!! How long do you have for this sojourn? I suspect the budget for tags in all those states might restrict some of us.
Posted By: PennDog Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
Squirrel "Grand Slam"...awesome grin

PennDog
Some states are expensive, but no more than a round of golf at some nice courses. What I don't get are the ones that don't offer small game only licenses nor temporary licenses.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
Hey Andy, outdoors writer, Jerry Davis had a nice write up on your quest in the Wisconsin State Journal Sunday, September 28, 2014 edition.

I got a kick out of the photo of your three children eating deep fried squirrel. Reminded me of my childhood when a lot of squirrel was supper.

Good luck on your 50-50 quest.

Wayne
Originally Posted by roundoak
Hey Andy, outdoors writer, Jerry Davis had a nice write up on your quest in the Wisconsin State Journal Sunday, September 28, 2014 edition.

I got a kick out of the photo of your three children eating deep fried squirrel. Reminded me of my childhood when a lot of squirrel was supper.

Good luck on your 50-50 quest.

Wayne

Cool!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
I envy you dude. I LOVE hunting squirrels and have been looking long and hard at a trip down to AZ for Aberts squirrels......
Originally Posted by ingwe
I envy you dude. I LOVE hunting squirrels and have been looking long and hard at a trip down to AZ for Aberts squirrels......

OK, spelling nazi. What is an Aberts squirrel? grin
A squirrel with tufted ears generally dark in color. Just another maker of supplies for Mepps lures.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 09/30/14
^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Originally Posted by schoolmarm

Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Yea, no guff. Idaho loves to protect their squirrels.

Uh Oh,,,, eek

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 10/01/14
Montana doesn't protect theirs. I just opened the " Squirrel Motel" ( aka Havahart trap...) for business today..... whistle
Where I live in Montana, a Havahart trap would only catch Eurasian Collared Doves. Rarely see a squirrel here. (Columbus)
I guess the only wild squirrels I have ever seen in Montana are those little red colored Pine squirrels. I doubt that they are any good to eat!!
I have never heard of a squirrel season being introduced in the state legislature!! Not yet anyway!

Ken
Ken
You would be surprised at how good the little red squirrels taste when doing survival in winter bush in northern Canada.
P.S. I gained three pounds in two weeks.Cheers NC
Note: others wouldn't eat their share so I did
We have the little red ones here, in the hills. But in town we have red fox squirrels, which are non-native and hence unprotected.... whistle

I wouldn't mind a Eurasian dove getting into the trap once in awhile...

Magpies get in frequently, but they are protected so I gently release them.... whistle
^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Originally Posted by schoolmarm

WOW! Just looked that up. Cute lil' buggers.
The Norman Bates Motel opened yesterday. Had our first client check in today....

[Linked Image]

....but he didn't check out.... grin
Client #2 just checked in......

[Linked Image]
What will become of these poor creatures?
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
What will become of these poor creatures?

[Linked Image]

hint...
Excellent!!
Sweet. People don't know how good squirrel meat is!
Client #2 just checked in......

[Linked Image]

When you come down here, please don't bring a BB gun. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 10/02/14
I'll have you know that one shoots BBs AND pellets! grin
I'll have you know that one shoots BBs AND pellets! grin

WHEW!! Was afraid you'd "shoot yo' eye out". grin
The pellets are deadly.....

Its a Daisy 880 'Powerline'.....not something to be trifled with.... grin
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Sweet. People don't know how good squirrel meat is!

Andy, give me a plate of fried squirrel with some potatoes, and gravy made from the squirrel pan and I can literally not think of any dinner I would prefer...
Ingwe, I'm not a "well traveled" sportsman but it's my favorite also. Squirrel and dumplings ain't bad either.
Another one checked into the Bates Motel this morning...... whistle

So far all young, frying material grin
Woohoo, if it's pouring down when I get off I'm hitting my woods and get me some young grays. Gonna exercise my old M11 Rem 16.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 50 Squirrels in 50 States - 10/02/14
Send me a pm if you'd like to visit and get Alabama and Georgia marked off your list. Tennessee is just a couple of miles away but I don't have any land to hunt there...probably some public land that is open.
© 24hourcampfire