Home
What do you use for squirrel hunting in your 410 ga 4, 5 , 6 , 7.5 shot 2.5 or 3 inch shell?
2.5 or 3, generally 2.5s as I have found them to shoot/pattern better. 7.5s almost exclusively now, but occasionally 6s. Anything larger and the pattern is too sparse, at least in the .410s that I have owned, shot, and hunted with.
7.5 shot is what i also use
3" inch 6s...
Originally Posted by ingwe
3" inch 6s...

Me too...

3" inch 6s...

+2. If I hunt with a 410, it's winchester 3" 6s.

maddog
Originally Posted by MOGC
3" inch 6s...

Me too...

My new little SxS liked them so well, I was tempted to kill a turkey with it this spring..
The best 410 i ever used for hunting squirrel was the Model 42 Win
Personally, I prefer the Savage/Stevens .22/.410s.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Personally, I prefer the Savage/Stevens .22/.410s.

My first, and one of my best, squirrel guns.
Originally Posted by MOGC
3" inch 6s...

Me too...

Me three, though 3" #4s work too. Maybe slightly prefer them early in the year.
They'll all give a squirrel a dirt nap, but I'm partial to the Federal 3" #5. Seems like the perfect balance and they pattern beautifully in my Savage 24 and Stevens 94.
Squirrel season opens Sat in Virginia and if i use the 410 it will be Rem 3 inch 7.5 shot. The smaller shot will give more pellet hits at 410 range . The bigger pellets like 4 and 5 shot may hit harder at longer range but the 410 is about used up pattern wise at 30 yards, so if you use bigger shot it won't matter if they don't hit the target. 410 ga is like the 22 rifle always aim for the head on squirrels.
An idea I've been kicking around...

I don't shoot a lot of rounds at squirrels with my .410. It'd be kinda fun to try some 3" shells with something like 8 shot or maybe even smaller in one of the heavier than lead materials like Hevi-Shot or TSS.
They would work great if they didn't cost so much to load or buy factory , when lead will get it done for squirrels. Now if you are going to use the 410 for Turkey Hunting the cost of HS or TSS would justify itself.
Had an old Savage 311A 410. Sweet little gun but it shot low left for me due to stock fit.
I have owned three of these over the years and they never hit where they are pointed. Worst 410 sxs made and over priced
© 24hourcampfire