Home
I Have done more squirrel hunting this year than I have in seasons past. I made a new friend a few months ago who shares the same love that I have for hunting the bushytails with a 22 rifle. We have went 2-3x a week after work the last few weeks. Leaves had kept me from getting a limit however, now that the leaves are falling and the squirrels are on the ground; the fun is really starting to begin.

[Linked Image]
Glad it's all coming together for you. Our leaves haven't even started to fall, so the hunting is still pretty tough.

Nice bunch of tree rats.
Thanks oldman.....you're a lil further south than me...... cooler weather is on its way though. Don't you worry lol.
Nicely done. I need to get out more myself.
Originally Posted by kellory
Nicely done. I need to get out more myself.

Don't we all........no matter how much I get out, I'm convinced it will never be enough
KY.....are you getting any fox squirrels where you are?
No sirree........we were just talking about this. The first squirrel I let the air out of this year was a fox, but I have not seen one since. Like to get on some big reds, but they seem to inhabit the more open
Farm country.
Wondered. I was a little kid when I lived in KY and we used to get both...
Wow, I haven,t hunted tree squirrels for 15 years.. When I first retired we had some great fox squirrel hunting in W Va. Shot a bunch of them. Within a couple years my pal got pretty sick, the woods were sold, timbered, and subdivided.. Paradise lost. That was some of the finest hunting country I ever had the good fortune to visit..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Wow, I haven,t hunted tree squirrels for 15 years.. When I first retired we had some great fox squirrel hunting in W Va. Shot a bunch of them. Within a couple years my pal got pretty sick, the woods were sold, timbered, and subdivided.. Paradise lost. That was some of the finest hunting country I ever had the good fortune to visit..
Wva has lots of Fox squirrels, some places you see a lot more than the gray squirrels.
Ingwe- what part of ky did you live in?
In Anchorage, near Louisville.
That's about 3 hours for me

I'm in Ashland. 60 miles east of Lexington
OK gotcha...the fox squirrels seem to thin out the farther south you go. I went to college in NC and there were none there, however lately Ive been surprised to see them deep into Texas.
There's still plenty here. I think it's mostly just the area I'm hunting at the moment.
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK gotcha...the fox squirrels seem to thin out the farther south you go. I went to college in NC and there were none there, however lately Ive been surprised to see them deep into Texas.

We have some massive fox squirrels down around Wilmington/Southport.
Fox squirrels were real trophy game when I went after them.. Loved that hunting.. The last limit I shot I used my .22 Hornet..
I hunted squirrels a lot as a kid in Lavaca co., TX, almost 100% fox squirrels. Now I have grays as my target in SE VA. Use a scattergun mostly, I have 3 rifle kills with 3 shots lifetime. One was a .38 WCF, one was a .257 Roberts, and the last was a .35 Remington. Never tried a .22, maybe this year would be a good time to try one.
© 24hourcampfire