Home
Posted By: maddog CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 10/25/09
Hadn't had any kind of muzzleloader for at least 4 yrs. I decided that since the farmers in my area weren't going to get the corn out before regular firearms season, that maybe our late ML season would be hot. Didn't want to put too much in a ML, so I did a lot of research, and decided that the CVA Wolf, looked like the ticket. I used to have an old CVA Big Bore Mtn. rifle, that I hunted deer with in the late 70's and 80's, so was kinda partial to CVA.

I just bought it last week, and today was the 1st decent day we've had in 3 or 4. Headed out to the sand pit, and with the wind being pretty brisk, I decided to just set up at 25 yds., to see if it was on paper. I elected to just shoot the fiber optic sights this year, rather than scope it. No small feat, considering I'm 58+yo. and wear bifocals.

The load I decided to try first was 80 gr. of loose 777 3f, and a 295 gr. PB aero tip. 1st shot out of the gun was dead center! grin. The next was an inch high, but I blamed it on me not keeping the same sight pic. Fired 2 more, and they touched the first dead center shot! I decided to quit because of the wind, but I'll get it out for a 50 yd. session, next week, mostly for me to get the sight picture down, cause I ain't used open sights in yrs. I think she's a keeper. She's ready for deer season now, with a few more shots. I'll play with it next spring/summer, maybe evenscope it, but for now I'm impressed with that little gun.

maddog
Posted By: Raspy Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 10/25/09
Like you, I have done a lot of research online and didn't want to spent a lot of money...so I ordered my Wolf from Cabelas today...$159 with free shipping...I'm going to try Blackhorn 209 powder as I read good things about it....now if I can find CCI 209M primers, I'll be almost set....I still need to do more reading especially about which bullets for deer...I'm 62 am will definitely put a scope on it....good luck to you...
I've read lots of good things about the Wolf for being a "budget" muzzleloader with great results
Posted By: Odessa Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 10/25/09
My nephew bought a Wolf a couple of months ago (satin nickle/synthetic .50 CAL for $159.00 mail order). It was his first muzzleloader so I helped him get set up and zeroed. His new Wolf shoots just as good as my old Encore; knowing what I know now I would buy a Wolf too and save myself a lot of money.
Posted By: 700LH Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 10/29/09
CVA sells a good gun for good prices, has been my experience.

Killed a elk with a CVA 50 cal Bobcat from Wally's, that was $58 and change out the door. Three years ago I think it was.
Muzzle loaders don't have to cost a arm and a leg to work fine for game.

Had had a T/C in 50 several years ago, and still had all the accessories. Buddy calls me up says "Wally's has these gun's cheap, I bought one it shoots good". Says " let's go black powder elk hunting, tags are available".

Doubt I would have ever bought one without that call, but it all worked out great.
the 6 of us that hunt together have all owned CVA ML'S and they all shot great.
Posted By: grdad45 Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 10/31/09
I got a Wolf this year, too. Using BH 209 and CCI 209's and PB 245gr. Took a big mature doe Oct. 19. I was impressed with the accuracy, using 100 gr load, I got <2" groups at 100 yards first time out. My SIL popped a big 10 point at 150 yards with his Wolf.
BTW-I'm 64, and use a 3-9X40 scope. (damned eyesight)
After I shot the Wolf I sold my Knight disc extreme. This ML shoots great and is very light .
Posted By: John5 Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 11/07/09
I have a CVA Optima pro. Had it for a few years. It shoots well. After I read on the internet that they are made out of inferior metal I am a little nervous to shoot it. It has not been recalled or anything. Don't know what to believe.
john thats randy wakeman stuff! Pay no mind to it. Hes referring to the 1995-1996 cva inlines that have a current recall on them. The optima pro is a fine rifle! They are now even outfitting them with the new bergara barrel which is made from the same stock that they use on their centerfire rifles. You're gun is perfectly safe.
I got my wolf for $139 a fews years back,have taken a few deer with it.Only thing I dont like is the atrocious trigger pull.Must be close to 10 lbs.!
call cva and they will have you send it in for trigger adjustment, free of charge.
JustOneGunner bought a CVA Buckhorn last year for $80.00 at Wally World, and it shoots as good as guns which cost hundreds more. 'Likes those Powerbelts just fine. The first thing we did was tear the gun down to find it's weak points. There didn't seem to be many. The mainspring looks like it may be vulnerable, so we picked up a spare. The gun is just an inexpensive, simple good gun.
just out of curiousity,which wally world did you buy it?all of them over this way stopped carrying guns pretty much altogether.
Brooklyn Park, and it was within weeks of them pulling all their guns.
Fluffy-if you don't mind the drive, Cambridge still carries guns, and I would think Fairbault and Mankato might too-but I'd call before running down there.
Posted By: maddog Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 12/07/09
Well, our ML season, here in Indiana, opened this last Sat. Full moon, and long story short, the deer haven't been moving. I waited until yesterday evening to go out for a short sit, just to see if anything was out prior to a snow/cold front moving in.

I have to drive down a lane next to a ditch, to get to my hunting spot. Halfway there, I see a pair of does down in the ditch. Fortunately they didn't see megrin. Parked the truck, and sneaked down the ditch. Got within 50 yds., and peared over the bank. The big doe was still looking back to where she saw my truck. I lined up the fiber optic sights, on the big doe and touched er off. She didn't even get up! She just rolled over and stretched out in her bed. Upon examination after field dressing her, the 295 gr. powerbelt, was a complete passthrough! I'm really impressed with the wolf. The load was 80 gr. of 3F/T7. The ole girl is gonna make a lot of deer jerky this wintergrin. I still have a buck tag left, so will be out a few times to see if one of the big bucks is still around. 2 thumbs up to the CVA Wolf! Here's a coupla pics.

[Linked Image]

doe with the wolf.

[Linked Image]

doe hanging in the garage.

maddog
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Fluffy-if you don't mind the drive, Cambridge still carries guns, and I would think Fairbault and Mankato might too-but I'd call before running down there.

My nephew just asked me to get rid of his cva this last weekend.Traded him a baitcasting rod and reel for it.
Posted By: sitedzn Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 12/17/09
Taken 2 this season with my CVA Wolf. Button buck and a little 3-ptr. Both shots around 80 yds, 100gr 777 pellets, 250gr Hornady 45cal sabot. Neither deer moved afterwards. And what surprised me was the fact that 3/4 of the 1st one's heart was completely obliterated. I'm sold!
Posted By: maddog Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 12/21/09
thought enough of the wolf, i bought my son one for Christmas. It'll be his 1st ML.

maddog
Posted By: peabody Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 12/22/09
wow, ya'll did some good shootin, makes me wonder ? if i should have gotten a wolf, instead of a contender muzzel loader barrel.

but, i traded for my barrel, dont have much more in it than a wolf, but still i like your reports.

Posted By: m1fan Re: CVA Wolf...I'm IMPRESSED! - 05/18/10
The new breech plug only made it better!
oh heck ya M1. I had the new Wolf and hte QRBP is sweet! The trigger on them, its amazing. I gave it to my brother in law and hes in love!
© 24hourcampfire