Home
Posted By: Markh Renegade replacement barrel - 12/02/09
I picked up a used Renegade at a show. Im gonna make it a winter project. The barrel is as smooth as a plowed field! Can you still get T/C barrels somewhere? Or is Green Mountian my best bet? What about having it reamed out and re-rifled to another caliber or just reamed smooth? What are the options these days?

Mark H
http://www.auctionarms.com/
I just pick up a t/c custom off auction arms for a renegade flinter 1 in 66 twist RB barrel.
check out e bay (thompson center) tons of barrel on it just be sure to check the sellers feedback
Originally Posted by Markh
I picked up a used Renegade at a show. Im gonna make it a winter project. The barrel is as smooth as a plowed field! Can you still get T/C barrels somewhere? Or is Green Mountian my best bet? What about having it reamed out and re-rifled to another caliber or just reamed smooth? What are the options these days?

Mark H

A buddy of mine let a T/C Hawkin barrel rust out from not cleaning it quite right...took a lot of years but it crapped out on him.

He boxed it up and wrote a nice letter to T/C's customer service department explaining that it was his most favoritist hunting rifle and it didn't shoot the way it used to when it was new. Could they please take a look at it and find out why.

It was about 3 weeks and they sent him a letter back explaining that the barrel was rust pitted beyond hope, and that the stock had a crack in it near the lock mechanism.

With the letter was a video cassette on how to care for a T/C rifle, and a brand spanking new .50 cal. T/C Hawkin....no charge.

Hint.............
Hey Mark, I have a .50 Renegade barrel that I'm not using (replaced it with a Green Mountain .54 slow twist ball barrel). I'll sell it for $100 shipped. If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll send pictures and more details.
T/C made a Renegade that was a smooth bore in either 56 or 58 cal. You didn't get on those did you?
Posted By: Markh Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 12/04/09
No...mine is a 54 cal rifle. They did make a 56 cal smooth. If I could find someone to do it I thought it would be fun to ream this barrel that is kinda rough out to 62 cal smooth. Heck it may be more trouble and expence than its worth....I dont know.

Mark
Posted By: Markh Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 12/08/09
Here is an update. I found a gunsmith that drills and reams old muzzleloader barrels. He does both smooth and re-rifles. Im gonna have him bore mine out to 62 cal smooth....$75.00 plus shipping. I cant beat that!! His name is Ed Rayl in West Virginia. Ill post how it all turns out.

Mark H
Ed Rayl in West Virginia
he knows his stuff
i would agree . call Ed
as to drilling it out to 62.
the barrel wall will be kinda thing at the breech for that unless its a 1 or 1 and 1/16 at the breech .
but then ????.
the guy doing it should know that already
Posted By: Markh Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 12/08/09
Well? its a 1" T/C barrel. Do you think that will be too thin? How thick is the barrel on a Fussil?
Posted By: Cos Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 12/16/09
Im looking for a 50cal renegade percussion barrel. still have it? Thanks
Yeah Cos, I do. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll send you pictures and a full description.
Posted By: Hawken Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 01/30/10
Mark, what did you end up doing?
Posted By: Markh Re: Renegade replacement barrel - 01/31/10
I sent it to Ed Rayl in WVa and had him ream it to .62 Smooth. I just got my letter this week saying it was done. So I hope to have it back in a week or so. I need to get moving on the stock. Its stripped needs finished now. Rayl charged me about $89 including shipping. It would have been more if I would have had it rifled.

Mark
I want to get barrel to send to him for my Renegade.
Along the same lines. I have a .50 cal T.C. percussion barrel that I would like to open up to smooth bore. Has anyone done this? and what caliber can the 15/16ths barrel handle safely?
I have a 56 TC Renegade and I outshot my neighbor with his Browning 12 guage slug gun. Blew his mind ....my 56 is the most accurate gun I've ever seen, and its my GO TO gun anytime I'm stepping in the woods. I also have a TC Custom 50 Hawken, TC 54 Renegade Custom, A Ruger 77/50 inline to hunt with. The 56 is the one I shoot. The other are great guns, the Hawken as kills to its record, the 54 big and powerful it is, and the Ruger has kills to its credit too, but the 56 I know it like its part of me. Easy to maintain (like the 77/50) accurate, shoots pumpkin ball...and reaches out and knocks FLAT anything I shoot it at. LOVE my 56....my bride gave it to me for my birthday back in 1983? or 86...I'll have to ask her (I forgot)!
© 24hourcampfire