Home
Posted By: bender Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Been pretty bleak this season in Md. This is the first shot I've had in the late muzzleloader season. Lotsa acorns, deer moving at night. We had a bunch of snow, and I spent 3 or 4 days tracking, backtracking, and setting up. Worked real hard for this one, even though he is not big. Good thing! Monster drag out, waaay down in a marsh, up a long 45 degree slope, and over about 200 yards of muddy field. 148 lasered yards in the woods, got a clearing and took him. .50 cal. Cabela's Left Hand Sporterized Hawken, Nikon 4x on Traditions Performance Firearms Offset Mounts. 240gr. XTP over 100gr. 777. [Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
bender, nice buck, and with a traditional caplock ta boot!
Congrats!

maddog
Posted By: bender Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Yeah, those Traditional rifles can't shoot at all...... More proud of the drag, than the shot!
Posted By: rick59 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Great job, nice looking buck.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Bender,

Nice buck for the late season. I didn't know you were a lefty like many of us.

You may want to carry in a deer cart next time.

Doc
Wouldn't have helped much, where I was. Typical Southern Md. marsh - steep fingers, stretching out into the marsh. Easy 40 degree incline. Tough to walk up, let alone drag a deer. 10 yards at a time, nice and slow.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Nice late season buck
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
What kind of ammo!Was it a pass through shot?
Hornady 240gr. XTP (.50cal.) over 100gr. 777. 148 yard spine shot - slug was just under the skin on the off side. Nice mushroom, held together well. Probably around 1800fps at the muzzle.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Originally Posted by maddog
bender, nice buck, and with a traditional caplock ta boot!
Congrats!

maddog

That ain't traditional,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the hammer's on the wrong side!!!!! grin grin

Bender,

Make no excuses for that deer. You earned it. Congraulations. smile smile
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Yea, I just shot a 3 pointer this year using hornady 300Gr.xtp's pushing it with 130Gr. of loose triple seven. Probably pushing over 2000f.p.s. deer was only 30 yards. Completely shattered the shoulder and came out the very front of the chest on the opposite side.Deer didn't go far.I get two inch groups a bit high at 80yds.I use a knight rolling block with a Bushnell banner 2-4x scope.Great ammo for muzzle loaders!I won't use nothing else!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/31/10
Noice!!!!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Muzzleloader buck - 01/01/11
Originally Posted by bender
Hornady 240gr. XTP (.50cal.) over 100gr. 777. 148 yard spine shot - slug was just under the skin on the off side. Nice mushroom, held together well. Probably around 1800fps at the muzzle.

Bender,

148 yards with a cap lock, Jerimiah Johnson would be proud of that shot.

Doc
Posted By: fairchase Re: Muzzleloader buck - 01/01/11
That is one handsom buck, very nice. Congrats!

I have a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken that I want to sell, only because I haven't shot it in a few years...pretty rifles and nice shooters...I'll have to post it soon.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Muzzleloader buck - 01/01/11
Nice job, congrats!
Posted By: daddywpb Re: Muzzleloader buck - 01/02/11
Very nice buck! Congrats!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Muzzleloader buck - 01/08/11
Originally Posted by bender
More proud of the drag, than the shot!

laugh

Great job on a beautiful buck!!!
© 24hourcampfire