Home
Posted By: nuguy Which 209 shotshell primer? - 10/05/11
I have a few Winchester 209 primers left from years ago and they have never failed and dont leave much residue in the breech area. I tried the Winchester 777 primers one year and didnt like them as they left a lot of ash looking deposits on my plug. I sold them off. Now Im going to order some new primers but not sure If I should go with the Win 209 or CCI 209 primers. Im going to use Blackhorn this year so I figure I need these hotter primers. Walmart only carries the Win 777 primers and Ill have to drive two hours to Bass Pro to get something different so I might as well order them and pay the hazard shipping fee because it will be the same as the gas cost.
So my question is between the Winchester 209 and the CCI 209 which do you guys prefer? Also is one primer taller than the other or are they the same height...could make a difference in my Omega when closing the breech. Also I noticed that in the catalog that they list Win 209 and Win 209M primers, what does the M designate (muzzleloader) or (magnum) and which of those should I get?
I have used the Winchesters and CCI-M. I have been using the CCI-M's more lately with great results.

ddj
The CCI 209M is a good primer for BH 209.

M stands for magnum.
Either Federal 209A or CCI 209M generally work best.
I have been using Blackhorn 209 for two years now and they will tell you NOT to use 777 primers or any of the special muzzle loader primers.

I like you had plenty winchester 209's around and used them. They have worked great with my load. I am shooting an Omega using 250 barnes and 115 grains by volume of BH209.
Originally Posted by southwind
I have been using Blackhorn 209 for two years now and they will tell you NOT to use 777 primers or any of the special muzzle loader primers.

I like you had plenty winchester 209's around and used them. They have worked great with my load. I am shooting an Omega using 250 barnes and 115 grains by volume of BH209.

The Omega has the perfect breech plug for BH 209. Almost all primers will work. Too bad all ML don't work as well.
Posted By: nuguy Re: Which 209 shotshell primer? - 10/05/11
Well If I order them where is the cheapest place to buy them? It looks like they only sell them in 1000 packs for like $44.00 at cabelas.
Cabelas is good for doing that. They'll send you 10 packs of 100. The price is good. Since you have to pay a HazMat fee. You might as well stock up. They won't go bad.
Posted By: nuguy Re: Which 209 shotshell primer? - 10/06/11
Am I better off with a Magnum primer over the standard primer? Will it leave more residue in the breech area or less?
I never saw the CCI 209M primer as being dirty. It will be more reliable for BH 209.
Getting the Most Out of Blackhorn 209

You might find this of interest.
I've been on the fence, but you have me convinced to convert over. Thanks for the link.
I, too, use the CCI 209M primers, but they are a tad thicker than others and I have seen several breech plugs that will not accept them. Namely the Knights with the conversion kits from #11 caps to 209's on the LK-93 & MK-85's. Other than that, they are excellent for BH209.

JohnP
The win 209 is generally to long for the T/C Encore rifle, you will have to slam the action to lock the barrel nad that is a big 'IF" it will lock up. If the break action ML rifle won't lock up the hammer cannot be cocked. The T/C rifles have tighter headspace which makes them problamatic on the 209 primer manufacturer than can be used.

Not all 209 primers are the same length and the Winchester 209 should not be used in some indiviual rifles. I have not experienced issues with the CCI, Fed, or Rem 209 primers.

Doc
© 24hourcampfire