Home
Posted By: scottprice 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
possibly looking to buy a new flinter here in the near future with the money i make selling my Lyman Deerstalker or trade my Deerstalker for another flinter

ive always had 50 cal. What experiences have you 54 cal guys had? any benefits over 50? (ill be hunting whitetails)

i know there are a lot more readily available accessories and supplies for 50cal...
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
I don't think you will notice any difference on whitetails. I honestly haven't seen any difference between my 50 GPR and my buddy's 54 GPR. I've shot both quite a bit.

I have an old 54 CVA flintlock Hawken I am about ready to re-stock and restore. When I get her done and play with it a bit it's going on the trade blanket so I can buy parts to build a smooth bore trade musket.
Posted By: blairvt Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
hunted with my Dads 54 when I was in High School. Kicked way to hard and didn't kill any better than a 50. Bloodied my nose once.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
The 54 doesn't have to kick harder than a 50. Depends how you load it.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
I shot 50's for a number of years and took a few deer with them but haven't owned one in close to 15 years. I just like 54's better. Ain't no flys on either.
Posted By: BrentD Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
54s are more funner smile

And when you get a surprise chance to chase elk or moose, you will feel even better about it, though a .50 would never keep me home.

Brent
Posted By: baldguy Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
As you say the new gun will be a flinter I am sure you plan on using a round ball. If that is the case go with the 54. You can load down for paper and up for elk. I do not find the recoil of a 54 round ball bad even with a stiff charge. The big conicals will hurt but not a round ball.

Cliff
Posted By: scottprice Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
thanks cliff. i do use roundballs as i like to be as traditional as possible in our late season.

keep the info coming guys! looks like a split decision right now
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
Scott;

Keep your eyes peeled for a used Renegade in .54. They pop up frequently.

I had one, and it was FUN! FWIW, it now lives in PA, too.
thanks VA, where you at now? im from the Poconos
I'm not in PA; I sold the ML to a guy in PA here on the 'fire earlier this year.

Figured you were in the Poconos, or close to them.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good flinter in this area for ya. After the first of the year, deals normally abound.
thanks! with the PA late season less than a week away i plan on hanging onto the Deerstalker until after the season anyways. Got my feelers out for now.

I really like the longer guns like a Lyman Great Plains which is why im looking to part with this Deerstalker. My dad has a T/C PA Hunter and that thing is a flat out shooter. wouldnt mind one of those either
Posted By: ST40 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
I have a 50 and a 54 barrel for my TC Hawkin.(cap gun) Usually use conicals for hunting, but I can't really tell any difference in killing deer. I mainly hunt mule deer at ranges from 60 to 120 yards. Marty
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
How far west in NE?

For the OP: Oh and go .58 wink
Posted By: bucktales Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
.54!
Seein you're in Pa., hop on the pike and visit Dixons .
Lots of nice stuff there and you can handle them and see how they fit.
Originally Posted by scottprice
thanks! with the PA late season less than a week away i plan on hanging onto the Deerstalker until after the season anyways. Got my feelers out for now.

I really like the longer guns like a Lyman Great Plains which is why im looking to part with this Deerstalker. My dad has a T/C PA Hunter and that thing is a flat out shooter. wouldnt mind one of those either

The LGP is a damned fine rifle, and for roundballs, would be a great choice.
ttt
Posted By: LNF150 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/20/11
my cva .54 carbine (just a precussion cap, not flint), delt a mighty blow to the whitetail population in Ks in the pre 9/11 era. I just used 80 gr. pyrodex and deerslayer bullets...I think the deer died more from the shock (wave) and awe freight train effect boom, rather then a slightly more than half inch hole leaving a heaped wreck in its wake as the bullet continued on.

Posted By: benchman Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/21/11
Don't know if it is the particular rifle, but I find the .54 to be more forgiving of different loads than the .50. Pretty much shoots everything I put into it pretty well. Nowhere near as touchy about a particular load.
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/21/11
I've got a Lyman GP .50, my Dad's .58 and a T/C Hawken in .45 and all of them have proven themselves on deer with RB's.

I do prefer using the GP though it just fits me better.
Posted By: ST40 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/21/11
=diamondjim] I live west of Lake McConaughy
Posted By: 338WIN Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/23/11
The market says .50. Just look at the supplies available. I've had both. I simply feel better having a bigger bore, but when you look at ballistic tables I don't think you are gaining much if anything.
Posted By: Hawken Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/25/11
.54 conicals are becoming difficult to find.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/25/11
50 for conicals,54 for balls.
Posted By: flinch444 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/25/11
My T/c hawken in 54 is the most accurate open sight rifle I own. It likes roundballs best so thats all I shoot.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/26/11
give me a little time,i'll find you a nice 54 renegade.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/26/11
As you're in Pennsylvania and like bigger bores and longer rifles perhaps you should take a look at a Christian Springs, a Jaeger or early Lancaster rifle. 54 would be appropriate in any of them. If you prefer the half stocks there were and are half stock "Kentuckies". Generally they were of smaller bore. If the Plains style rifle has completely captured your attention there are no flys on the GPR. I used one for years in 54 before going to an absolutely correct custom Hawken. There is also Tryon, Leman and Henry from the fur trade era and after. Good rifles all. 54 would assuredly be my choice between 50 & 54.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/28/11
Man I must be dense! I make a comment without getting the point of the subject!
Flinter? .54 cal all the way when shooting balls, conicals or anything the size of the bore.
Hope you knock some big stuff down.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/28/11
Since you'll be shooting RB's I'd go with .54

50 will do fine, 54 hammers them.
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/29/11
I've had both 50's and 54's. I prefer the 54 although there is far more ammo etc. available for the 50. Some years ago my dad had drawn a damage control tag for Roosevelt Elk up on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. He suddenly needed to have open heart surgery about 4 months before the hunt. Doctor told him not to go. Well he borrowed my 54 TC Renegade and loaded it with 80 grains of FF black powder and a round ball. He was afraid to try and handle to much recoil. He shot a big cow with this setup. He dropped it right on the spot. He was shooting uphill and the ball went in to the right shoulder, breaking it and then it angled up and took out the spine. She hung 375 lbs at the butcher. Lot's of knockdown with the 54.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Scott;

Keep your eyes peeled for a used Renegade in .54. They pop up frequently.

I had one, and it was FUN! FWIW, it now lives in PA, too.

My long time BP hunting rifle of choice is the T/C Renegade in .54 caliber. I use black powder and PRBs. I've killed whitetails with the .50 too, but have come to prefer the .54. YMMV.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 12/31/11
A patched round ball of .490" diameter in a 50 caliber rifle weighs only 175 grains. When that pure lead round ball hits something it flattens out like a pancake. Personally, I would not use that load for anything bigger than a squirrel.

A round ball for 54 caliber weighs 232 grains, and 56 caliber weighs 265 grains. If we insist on using round balls, I would not go smaller than 58 caliber, and bigger is better.

Personally, I use 350gr conicals in 50 caliber for deer. Even a 300gr conical, like the aformentioned CVA deerslayer, is leaps and bounds ahead of a round ball. But then, a lot depends on where the bullet is placed. If I get a quartering shot at a big buck, I'm gonna take it. That is why I use bullets that I know are gonna penetrate reliably. Such is the case in any gun I point at game. 175 grains? Heck, my 7mm bullets weigh that.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: 50 or 54 cal? - 01/07/12
If you mix black bear, elk or moose with white-tail or mule deer hunting, then the .54 caliber is your best bet.

If not, the .50 caliber does an excellent job on any deer and has slightly better ballistics with similar loads if one is allowed to say "better ballistics" in the same sentence with "muzzle-loader". grin

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
© 24hourcampfire