Home
I have been gettin a hankerin to play with a sidelock muzzleloader again and found one of these in 50 cal. factory new on gunbroker, the bid now stands at $350.00 but I'm not sure what something like this might be worth, it's a beautiful rifle but is it worth bidding on?.................Thanks Hb
I've seen them for less, but they were beat up. I've seen them for more, but they don't sell.

I think $350 is a price for a nice one that will sell.

If it's worth that to you. It's a good deal.
Yeah, it will go up in auction bids most likely. New-unfired, probably a $450-600+ dollar sale, if the usual bidders are on-line. It's a collector piece now, that could be shot, and the resulting loss in value when you do. Used ones this year have been running $400 plus if used and clean, been watching for a clean used one for several months.

For the money, you are buying stainless fittings, extra fancy walnut stock, and a standard barrel with extra labeling that won't shoot any better than a base Hawkin model.

If you are really going to hunt/shoot it, recommend picking up a standard T/C Hawkin for $200 and change, they are in the block regularly. Or wait for a clean used Cougar, battle the bid with me smirk , and post a picture of the game gotten this Fall!

Good luck!

AH64guy, Thanks for the reply, you obviously know this rifle very well, I did email the guy about this one and although he said the condidtion is factory new he said the rifle had been fired a time or two, I think I will take your advice and look for a nice used Renegade in the $200.00 range............The Cougar is a most beautiful rifle though, it might be more what you are looking for.................Thanks Hb
Mauser hit it right too, I've looked at some that had chunks gouged out of the stock, and a collector price tag. It's a cool rifle, but not much more than really nice wood. The nice ones seem to auction/sell quick, and for premium prices. I'd be happy with just a stock if it came along.

There have been several very good deals on here in the classified for T/Cs and Lymans.

I picked up my T/C Hawkin for about $200 on GB, it's used, but not much.
Finding a nice Hawken for $200 may be a little tough.

Have you shot one? They slap the cheek pretty good. The Renegade is more friendly. To me anyway, and others say the same thing.
Yes, had one on and off since 1986 when I built my first kit, and used patched balls and conicals over Pyrodex for chasing game.

Just like the traditional look a bit more than the Renegade, both get the job done.

Watch the GB ads, they can be had, just have to do a little searching...Hawkin vs Hawken, etc.
I used a Renegade with a GM last year to take an elk with a PRB. Lots of fun.

My crummy eyesight won't let me use open sights anymore, and I refuse to put a scope on a sidelock. So, I went to an inline.

Still love traditional a lot more.
Many years ago I enjoyed hunting with a Thompson Renegade .50 cal, as I remember that rifle would shoot nice three shot 1.5" clovers at 50 yds with open sights, though My eyes aren't what they used to be I think I can still do OK with open sights. I'm looking forward to giving it a try anyway..............Hb
Our local shop in town has three lightly used TC Hawkins for sale in 50 caliber. Prices are negotiable; they're having the annual sale right now.

Mussers Outdoors
Ephrata, PA
717 738 4800

Good luck to you!
Sherwood
Thanks, I really want a Renegade but I might give them a call............................Hb
© 24hourcampfire