Home
Posted By: bucktail Sabots through the chrony? - 07/02/14
Anyone run sabots through their chrony? I'm wondering whether chrony will measure the sabot instead of the the bullet and if it will damage the screens.
I've never had an issue shooting sabots through my chronograph.
Posted By: 805 Re: Sabots through the chrony? - 07/03/14
Neither have I. They are plastic and I doubt if the did hit a screen they would damage it.
there have been a number of chronographs damaged from muzzleloader sabots, put screen in front of the display or eyes to prevent damage.
I put my Crony about 12-15 feet out. The sabots usually fall to the ground at 8 to 10 feet. No problem.
I'm running 50/40 sabots in a couple of my ML's,so they're probably a bit on the heavy side, but they'll probably be slowed down enough in 15 ft to be harmless.
Yes, I set my chrony out a ways, maybe 20' or so. I also put something in front of the electronic face to protect it, just in case.
I had my chrono set at least 18' out (closer to 20') and a sabot took out the display. I thought it was far enough away but it wasn't. The load that did it was running about 2040 fps.

When I was shooting I found sabots on the ground in front of the chrono so ... ??? ... go figure.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Sabots through the chrony? - 07/08/14
I lost a Chrony from a sabot off a 12 guage Rem Buckhammer slug doing 1450 fps (about 10 feet out). Hit one of the aluminum rods. I think if someone were to put some scrap lumber or something in front of it (and don't use the rods), they'd be fine.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Sabots through the chrony? - 07/08/14
After reading my post, poor wording on my part. The slug was doing 1450 fps, I doubt the sabot was... but it still took out the Chrono.
I shoot sabots in a muzzy all the time through the crony with no problem, about 8-10 feet from muzzle ... I have replaced the metal support rods with wooden dowels from HDepot. smile
I would think 10' would be max. I have not had any issues.
Just a guess but I think there's no guarantee that sabot is always going fly in a "normal" trajectory. If one of the petals breaks off or gets bent funny a sabot could go in any direction.

You don't find sabots in all the same spot. They can be right, left, shorter, or further from where you're shooting
© 24hourcampfire